It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Helps Students Cheat Because She Says They’re ‘Dumb As Hell’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Yeats
I think the issue starts with the parents, and the lack of discipline parents are instilling in their children.

I started at the top of this thread and read the OP. Then as I scrolled down, I looked for ANY post citing the parents.

Finally! Teachers are a tool that the parents use to help educate their children. If your kid is not getting the education you (as a parent) desire, then work/suppliment to make sure tht they do.

This total abdication of parental rights towards the school system is a symptom of a much larger problem, in my humble opinion.

Took the words right off my keyboard before I could type them. Having watched the behavior of some of the students in the investigation provided after the OP, it became obvious to me that kids these days lack something very fundamental that is crucial in a learning environment: Respect. Now good teachers get respect out of their students, but how much of this failure rests on the shoulders of parents?

Children and adolescents will always engage in some form of horseplay. But there is a time and a place for it, and the distance kids are willing to push adults grows with a lack of respect.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
really, is it really that shocking, when ever there is a reward system in place aka schools receive more funding when grades go up there is going to be corruption, and judging by half the people above me at work and managers, id have to assume that 90% of my company is from Atlanta now hahaha, this will be the next big joke,
people all over will be saying " what are you , from Atlanta? " to mean you are stupid now, i might even use this instead of what are you a retard?, which most find un pc (which i don't care ^^) now i can join the PC crowed yay me!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I read the title of this thread and thought, to myself... "Atlanta... right?' And, sure enough.

As a resident of the Atlanta area ( and before the jokes fly, I went to school in California and moved here when I was 20 ) I can tell you that the problem isn't bad teachers or stupid kids. It's poverty, gutted school budgets, urban decay, and what may well be the most corrupt city and state governance in the western world. I mean the guy currently running Georgia is only doing it because he had to leave Congress to avoid ethics charges.

In addition many would probably be surprised to know that Atlanta, one of the birthplaces of the Civil Rights movement is still pretty much stuck in that battle. Racial bias, from both fronts, permeates life in Atlanta and underlies just about every other subject. And, while not true segregation, a visit to Atlanta will show most that divides linger... neighborhoods in this area tend to be very racially and class specific. Emphasis upon "class" more than race. But, unfortunately, the wealth divide tends to have a racism of its own built right in. This is where a large chunk of the problem is born. We have some of the worst schools in America literally mere miles away from some of the best.

Ultimately I feel sorry for these kids. They're being educated in second rate, under funded schools, by overwhelmed teachers in a racially and class conscious and specific environment. The odds of success and of happiness later on in life have been virtually removed from them. Overcoming circumstances like these is not an easy thing to do.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A good documentary to watch about the American education system is Waiting For Superman.

This documentary busts a lot of myths prevalent in American society about the educational system. I saw one person bring up the inner city kids only have one parent and are poor therefore they score low, no. Thats simply not true. Teachers unions are big part of whats wrong with the educational system. Bad teachers are pretty much protected from disciplinary action or termination. Good teachers cannot be rewarded for their good work. What other profession in America allows good and bad workers to be treated the same? Educators have a very important job to do and if they cannot do it well, they should be fired. End of story.

Also, parents can value education as much as they want to, it will have no effect on how much their kids learn. They can make their kids study yes, but if the kids go to a low performing school or have a bad teacher, what then? Most parents cannot help children with their homework because its been so long since they were in school, not only that, the curriculum for kids is constantly changing. What a parent learned in 3rd grade is not the same as what their child will learn. The child will have more challenging coursework. In my area, charter schools have started teaching night school for parents. So they can learn what their child is learning and actually be able to help. This is not offered at most schools and not all parents have the time to do this. It goes back to the teachers.

The job of the teacher, is to teach. If the parent wanted to be a teacher they would have home schooled their children. If a child is not learning the teacher is at fault. But im not surprised these schools cheated. I mean a lot of schools cannot get funding unless their students are doing well.
edit on 30-8-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I believe that the future of public schooling is going to be regular elementary schooling where the children will learn reading, writing, and basic math., which will morph into computer based learning with personal achivement followed by personal instruction by a small building of "teachers",

Students which "fail" this kind of instruction, will be relegated to prison type facilities which will take care of their "oppositional behaviors" and babysit them until they commit a crime prosecutible by the law.

Private institutions will provide for social interactions, such as music, sports, and debate societies.

The money that will be saved by the taxpayer will be enormous.

Your children will be safe, and their education will be much, much improved.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Yeats

Truth!

It doesn't "take a villiage" it takes parenting.

But we live in a society now, where government has taken over the role of parent.

Telling us what to;
Eat
Learn
Live
Spend
Drink
Smoke
ad nauseum.

Ah Beezy a voice of reason in a sea of irresponsibility and pass the buck syndrome.

It starts with the parents....period.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
They keep dumbing the tests down so the kids will pass, and still a portion don't pass it. The ELA tests have little actual grammar on them anymore - just a bunch of questions along the lines of, "Which sentence sounds the best?" a) Sue threw the ball to her brother, John. b) The ball, Sue threw to her brother, John. c) Sue's brother John, the ball was thrown to. d). Sue, her brother, the ball was thrown to.

I mean - 4th graders can't figure that one out? Honestly, a good portion of Georgia's students are dumb as dirt.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Reply to post by mjfromga

-_- How could a 4th grader identify something they have not been adequately taught? The students are not dumb the teachers and schools are the problem. If you were in an aquarium and were told to identify a random fish having no prior knowledge of aquatic veterbrates could you do it? No.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Without reading any of the details of this story I'd most likely agree with the teacher that these kids are "dumb as hell." One of my friends was a teacher previously and hearing some of the stories of how unfortunately uneducated freshmen to seniors in high school were just disgusted me to the core.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Education is a partnership between parents and the education system. It starts at home with involved parents and continues with teachers interested in teaching rather than unions and rankings. Charter schools are a good example of this, since the parents are involved enough in seeking better education and the teachers are non-union.

I would hope that ridding the system of unions would help a great deal but it will only go so far. Parents need to get their kids off phones, games, limit t.v. and get involved. But that takes effort.
edit on 30-8-2012 by RoyBatty because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I think a big problem I have seen for 25 years with parents is that they do not understand the change that occurred in our education system. Teachers that even blame the child irks me to no end because they don't expose what is going on in the system that they KNOW is wrong....many make excuses instead or simply are not aware of the system they are working in. In many cases, a blind eye is turned for that paycheck in my opinion.

I have to run out today but, here is a link to catch some of you up on the system of education... This has been in place for more than a couple decades now... If you think reading, writing and math is a core objective in this system...you need to catch up with the world of education.....
Brave New Schools (not really new) ....

I have been following this issue since 1989 and have updated my research on this topic about every 5 years... feel free to ask any questions. Goals 2000 was implemented a couple years before the legislation was actually passed . In there is a lot of information on the goals...you can't read the propaganda, you must read the legislation itself, because in there you will find what they are really doing.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Okay, I will probably regret replying because this will end up being way too long.

I graduated with an elementary teaching degree last December. I wasn't hired for this school year because there are SO MANY layed-off teachers in the hiring pool right now. The amount of people applying to one position around here is ridiculous. Anyway, I do have experience in the classroom and I wanted to address a few things.

First, the OP. It is terrible that those teachers found themselves in a position where they felt they needed to cheat on the state tests. It is terrible that those kids did not receive the education they deserved. This whole ordeal really comes down to No Child Left Behind. It is definitely the worst thing to happen to education. Some kids DO need to be left behind. My first semester in college I observed a Kindergarten classroom. There was a student in there that was way behind everyone in the class. The teacher did accommodations and basically everything possible to help the boy. I talked to her about whether he would be held back or not and she said he already was in his second year of Kindergarten and he had to advance to first grade no matter what because of NCLB. She also said they weren't allowed to hold him back again until third grade. Which basically meant, no matter what happened in first and second grade, he got a free pass. That is a major problem!

As far as teacher's unions, I agree with many of you. Schools should have the ability to fire bad teachers without a lawsuit hanging over their heads. They should also be rewarding good teachers. I am all for merit pay, but the problem is it cannot be tied to state testing. You cannot base a child or teacher's worth on state testing. It is idiotic. It is one test, and the kids take those tests for hours. They get bored and tired and start writing down anything to get done. Some kids don't test well, but can explain the concept to someone just fine. Some kids are starving because they didn't have breakfast that morning. There are hundreds of factors that can make a kid do poorly on a test.

Parents can be a blessing or a nightmare in the classroom. I've seen parents who make sure homework is completed, forms are signed, they help during field trips, and they come to parent-teacher conferences. I've also seen parents do absolutely nothing. There was one parent I never even saw once and could never be reached on the phone and would not read notes home. Her child was, of course, failing. Why should he care if his mom doesn't?

Many people complain about teachers who teach to the test and ignore everything else. It is because those tests have grown in size, and there is not enough time in the day to teach everything on it, and give extra time to those that don't get it. They are told to teach to the test. Heck, in some schools, teachers aren't even allowed to teach. They read a district approved SCRIPT, not because they want to but because they have to.

Cont..

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
And as for this...

Originally posted by DerekJR321

I also blame the Teachers Unions. Case in point. A local high-school near my home was built recently for a whopping half BILLION dollars. Their budget is passed every single year, to the tune of 30+ million annually. And yet after school programs are continually cut. Field trips? My kid doesn't even know what those are. When I was a kid we went on a class trip every year. Not any more. And you know why? Because we have GYM TEACHERS making over $100,000 a year. We have Superintendents making half a million or more a year. And then these teachers have the absolute gall to protest almost every year for a pay raise. Really? I'm sorry.. you work 180 days a year. You get weekends, holidays and snow days off. You get a week in the spring and a week in the fall off. You get paid for 3 months off in the summer time. You have great health benefits. And you have the BALLS to complain that your not being treated fairly? And you don't have enough funding to provide for a proper learning experience for the kids?

Why is it that every year my child goes to school, I am provided a laundry list of supplies I must provide for him? The schools keep giving less and less to our kids, and pocketing more and more for themselves. Like I stated above, in my local school district, there are at least 20-30 people making over 100k a year. The lowest paid salary? $75,000 a year for the school lunch attendant (ie: lunch lady). $75k a year.....

Jesus do I need to move to NY!!! But of course..cost of living difference.. etc..etc..

Here is my thought on teacher pay. The median salary for teachers in the US is $50,000 last I checked. Now, what I have found time and again, is people see $50k and automatically assume every teacher they know makes that or more. Then they start in with teachers make too much money, they get summers off, and everything else. What people tend to forget is $50k is the MEDIAN amount, meaning half of teachers make less than that. Much less. My state is not the lowest paid state, but, in my area a teacher starts at $28,000 a year. Even with a Master's Degree and 20+ years of teaching, the amount is around $45k. Half of teachers will never see $50k, let alone $100k. If I ever end up employed anywhere, my husband, who didn't go to college, will make more than me. And he doesn't have $40k in student loans.

On top of this, I would need to buy supplies for my classroom and for my students. Some students don't have supplies, many will run out before December and parents won't buy more. Some schools give teachers a budget, some say to it yourself.

Now, as far as weekends, holidays, and summers off. Well, weekends, for most good teachers, are spent working. Those that don't much care have their weekends free, or ones that stay late every night during the week may have their weekends free. When I was in the classroom, I came in early, sometimes stayed late, and worked all weekend. Summers - many teachers teach summer school so there ends up being about one month that they are not teaching. Many teachers use this time to take classes to keep their certification or get their Master's degree. Some use it to read books on how to better their classroom. They use that month to plan for the year, reorganize all of their supplies, set up their classroom, make changes to parts of the curriculum that didn't work the prior year, and more. Sure, they also do a big load of nothing sometimes, and who cares. Some schools don't pay through the summer and teachers are working a second job. Honestly, I only know a few teachers who don't have a second job.

Anyway, I don't know how it is in NY or other high paying states, but it isn't all easy breezy summers and weekends doing nothing but watch the cash roll in in half of America. I wish more people understood that.
edit on 30-8-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain

If you think reading, writing and math is a core objective in this system...you need to catch up with the world of education.....
Brave New Schools (not really new) ....

I have been following this issue since 1989 and have updated my research on this topic about every 5 years... feel free to ask any questions. Goals 2000 was implemented a couple years before the legislation was actually passed . In there is a lot of information on the goals...you can't read the propaganda, you must read the legislation itself, because in there you will find what they are really doing.

I really appreciate what it sounds like you have for knowledge and time in personal research on this subject. Please feel free to share whatever else you might think is relevant, as my look at one teacher's comment in relation to this record breaking ethics and conduct scandal is certainly only one small piece of a much larger whole that is in serious trouble.

In fact, you might consider making a whole thread of your own. I certain'y don't say that as sometimes is, to suggest your input isn't more than welcome here. It is! It sounds like you have the depth to really make a compelling presentation though and I can't help but think that having it buried in the back pages of an older thread such as mine here, doesn't do it justice. So, I'm grateful for your link and whatever else you have time to add.

I sure would love to see how it might lay out in the length and stage a dedicated thread would afford you to share what you've spent the time over the years putting together!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I was a TA for a while. And while I do say that some of the teachers are to blame. ( i've seen teachers not give two squats about their job or about the kids, then again I've seen an equal number who cared a whole hell of a lot. Sadly the ratio in my opinion is 50/50)

I also say parents have a lot to do with this too. Often it was like trying to bang my head against a wall. These kids had such little discipline or regard for adults that they simply wouldn't listen. I can't twist their arms to get them to learn. So at the end of the day when My lively hood is on the line because I got assigned some rotten kids to teach what am I to do? Let them fail out knowing it will cost me my job or fudge the numbers and hope to hell the kids grow up enough at some point over the summer that they actually give a squat about themselves when they get back into school the following semester.

And don't think I'm talking only about teenagers or kids that are in Jr high. I'm saying that even 2nd graders have degraded to such a degree that when you ask them to pay attention or try to help them do their classwork they simply stare blankly at you with a little smirk on their face knowing they are getting away with acting like they are simply too dumb to understand what you are asking them to do. That behavior doesn't come from them simply being kids. It comes from having crappy parents who let their kids get away with being little pricks.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I just graduated in 2011. This thread made me chuckle a bit.

This definitely went down in at least 30% of my classes through high school. basically we would stay after and review whatever we learned in class and could even make up tests if we did bad enough.. There was no failing unless you slept and didn't stay after.. it would probably only take one afternoon to make everything up.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
it's not just high school, either. a few years back i tried to go to the supposedly best community college in the nation...our teacher gave us an open book test for the final

WTF??

not in just one class, either. i had it happen in a health ed class, and humanities.

it felt like a dream...college...not a good one, though...like a bizarre dream made reality

i was surrounded by stupid people saying and doing stupid things nonstop...and getting far into debt, and thinking everything as honky-dory as long as they got that piece of paper.

this can't be blamed on teachers, or students, or any one thing. this is but one in-your-face actualization of degeneracy within the people as a whole.

must let it all burn, as the moniesisfun!
edit on 30-8-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I was a TA for a while. And while I do say that some of the teachers are to blame. ( i've seen teachers not give two squats about their job or about the kids, then again I've seen an equal number who cared a whole hell of a lot. Sadly the ratio in my opinion is 50/50)

I couldn't agree more. My American History/Political Science instructor for my mandatory General Ed classes in college last Spring came from a life spent as a teacher in the local district here. He was one of the toughest and most unforgiving of my instructors to date. I also learned more in his class than I have in any other, to date. I learned quite a bit during the semester with him in his endless anecdotes and side stories of local history and many times, the school system as his favorite side topic.

He taught me, above all else, there are some VERY high quality teachers who do dedicate themselves entirely to the work and the students they teach. I saw him go well beyond anything he was required to do in our own class and had no problem believing him when he said he tried, as much as district rules would ever permit it, to do the same in his former High School classes.

I think the Teacher problem comes in where we have both extremes existing in the same system, paid the same rate and held to be entirely equal in every way by any measure which matters. We have those like I describe, who really made it his life and pride to do the best he could. Then we have those like this thread is about. Frankly, losers who are as bad as the students they talk down and are as much the core of the problem as the parents you rightly go on to cite as being a major factor here as well.

I don't think we ever see kids give respect or learn it, when as many teachers don't care either way and let them get away with almost anything....as those who won't let a thing slide and hold people as accountable for their own actions as the system will ever currently let them.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

I've never understood the value to an open book test. What kind of crap is that. how's it a test. What are they testing? Ones ability to look stuff up in a book. And on top of that most still fail the open book test. What a cop out the open book test idea is.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I don't care if the legal requirement for the term "mental retardation" is determined by a proctored IQ examination...

if you've failed to pass an open-book examination (assuming all answers are to be found within the textbook), you are retarded....

there does seem to be an increasing number of retarded people walking around these days

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join