It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Helps Students Cheat Because She Says They’re ‘Dumb As Hell’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Now this is just something to leave a person speechless. The Atlanta cheating scandal is the largest scandal of it's kind in United States History. Over 170 teachers (and administrators) were accused to making an organized practice of heating the standard tests for the purpose of scores to the schools and the district. Some background here to explain the story I've made this thread for.

From July, 2011:

Award-winning gains by Atlanta students were based on widespread cheating by 178 named teachers and principals, said Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Tuesday. His office released a report from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that names 178 teachers and principals – 82 of whom confessed – in what's likely the biggest cheating scandal in US history.

The report on the Atlanta Public Schools, released Tuesday, indicates a "widespread" conspiracy by teachers, principals and administrators to fix answers on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Test (CRCT), punish whistle-blowers, and hide improprieties.

The 55,000-student Atlanta public school system rose in national prominence during the 2000s, as test scores steadily rose and the district received notice and funding from the Broad Foundation and the Gates Foundation. But behind that rise, the state found, were teachers and principals in 44 schools erasing and changing test answers.
Source

Now, today's headliner, as the Thread Title quotes:

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – A former fifth-grade teacher implicated in a cheating scandal reportedly gave students the illegal assistance because she thought they were “dumb as hell.”

Schajuan Jones, who taught a fourth-grade class across the hall from Smith’s former room, overheard her talking to another teacher about the test.

“The words were, ‘I had to give your kids, or your students, the answers because they’re dumb as hell,’” Jones was quoted as saying about the interaction between Smith and the unidentified third teacher.
Source

While I am sure or at least hope that the vast majority of teachers do nothing like what happened across the Atlanta school district, this is just terrible to the point of shocking for me. As a parent, I'm outraged whether I live there or not. I wonder how many kids have lost valuable education that can never be regained for the focus on simply cheating them through the classes rather then educating them to know the material.

In a world where ethics are all too often negotiable or outright considered old fashioned, this story truly sets new lows, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

One of the best documentaries explaining the truth behind the decline of American schools.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Pepeluacho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Seems unfair that students be destined to a life of abject poverty because the education system which is one of the only keys to a successful life has failed them.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sodium

Don't blame the schools, blame the Teachers and their "Teacher's Union."

For New Parents: Always enroll your child at a Charter Public School. The difference between are chartered school and a non-chartered is the Union. Chartered schools do not allow their teachers to be protected by Unions meaning the teachers must teach properly in order to keep their job.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pepeluacho
reply to post by Sodium

Don't blame the schools, blame the Teachers and their "Teacher's Union."

For New Parents: Always enroll your child at a Charter Public School. The difference between are chartered school and a non-chartered is the Union. Chartered schools do not allow their teachers to be protected by Unions meaning the teachers must teach properly in order to keep their job.
Teachers are culpable for supporting such a system but then again they too are victims of it.

There are numerous problems with the education system, but what problems are you saying that teachers unions have caused exactly?
You could have the best teachers in the world, but the way they teach and what they teach is still detremental to our children's education.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I only have one question.
If the students were already intelligent,
why were they forced into school to get an education.

Just look at ATS,
everyone is always willing to give you the right answer,
while they claim your are dumb as hell and need to deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I think it does happen more often - just not always discovered.

NJ Teachers, Principals Suspended in Cheating Scandal

Three teachers and two principals in a New Jersey school district have been suspended, accused of helping their young students cheat on statewide standardized exams in 2010.

Officials say third-graders at the Avenel Street School were coached by teachers who were given the statewide exam in advance.

A lot rides on those state tests - mainly the teacher's future. And I know that there are a lot of dumb kids, but there are also some really bad teachers out there. Cheating is probably a reasonable option for them. Not all the ethically challenged work on Wall St. and in politics.

www.nbcnewyork.com...
edit on 28-8-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
teaching has to be one of the most frustrating and stressful jobs ever. lets say you hire a top-notch math teacher to teach algebra. then the guy is given a classroom full of donkeys and is told "if these donkeys don't score at least a 70 on standardized exams, you're fired.". this is an extreme example, but the point is that some kids ARE just not intellectually equipped to handle the material. it doesn't matter how brilliant the instructor's teaching skills are. what a nightmare.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

In your example, I would say two things are true. The teachers who handled those students for the years before they reached that Algebra class had utterly failed them. Perhaps those students were in the Atlanta district? That's somewhat of a cheap shot, but this WAS a 5th

Second though, if a Teacher is told that, accepts it without fight, and then acts unethically and against the student's best interests to save their own job, they have failed the whole purpose they are THERE. They aren't there to make themselves look good. They are there so our next generations of Americans aren't dumb as a box of rocks.

If a teacher can't hack it, get out of the profession. If the teachers are getting students fundamentally incapable of handling work at their grade level, then stop being part of the problem by quietly allowing it to happen without fight or protest. That's my opinion on it.

They aren't beating the system with this, they are beating the kids...and only the kids lose.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: corrected grade level of class in question

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think the issue starts with the parents, and the lack of discipline parents are instilling in their children.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

Replying to my own post is not the norm I know..but anyways.

The powers that be (teachers or what ever gov. agency you choose to name) have taken the tools to discipline children out of the parents and teachers hands. You can no longer teach a child discipline with out some alphabet agency knocking on you door and branding you as a bad parent/adult/teacher etc...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeats
I think the issue starts with the parents, and the lack of discipline parents are instilling in their children.

I started at the top of this thread and read the OP. Then as I scrolled down, I looked for ANY post citing the parents.

Finally! Teachers are a tool that the parents use to help educate their children. If your kid is not getting the education you (as a parent) desire, then work/suppliment to make sure tht they do.

This total abdication of parental rights towards the school system is a symptom of a much larger problem, in my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
From my knowledge the education system is the catalyst for bad teachers. Of course as with any job there are always some who obviously should be sacked; but most teachers start out following the rules and doing the best job they can possibly do.

But, the education system even when taught properly is detrimental to the children which in turn is detrimental to the teachers, even if the negative affects do take a while to kick in.

It’s a vicious cycle but it is still only a symptom of much bigger problems.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Yeats

I started at the top of this thread and read the OP. Then as I scrolled down, I looked for ANY post citing the parents.

Finally! Teachers are a tool that the parents use to help educate their children. If your kid is not getting the education you (as a parent) desire, then work/suppliment to make sure tht they do.

This total abdication of parental rights towards the school system is a symptom of a much larger problem, in my humble opinion.

Simply watching the video or even part of it shows a severe lack of discipline for the children in the video. I am surprised more people have not seen it or commented on it.

Teachers jobs are to teach, and to a certain degree offer insight into social behavior based upon historical reference (with all historical behavior not just religious behavior).

It is not the teachers fault these little monsters are out of control.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

Truth!

It doesn't "take a villiage" it takes parenting.

But we live in a society now, where government has taken over the role of parent.

Telling us what to;
Eat
Learn
Live
Spend
Drink
Smoke
ad nauseum.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I graduated in 2010. The biggest obstacle that the education system faces is the behavior of the students. The No Child Left Behind mindset needs to go. Some students (actually a lot of students) NEED to be left behind. If a student has no desire to learn or succeed in school, then there's nothing any teacher can do about it. Intelligence and hard work just aren't valued in our society anymore. When choosing a college, the majority of students' first or only priority is choosing a good party school.

Teachers that have taught for years will tell you about a change in the students. For instance, my HS chemistry teacher said that back in the 80's, he could tell his students to write a 6-page paper and they would do it with no complaints and do it well. These days, he will tell them to write a 1-page paper, and the students will whine that it's 'too much work'.
edit on 8/28/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The education system is a joke...the system itself doesn't evolve yet it teaches evolution...ironic no?

The same lazy ass methods of mass indoctrination are used today as were used 50 years ago...I thought by now somehow the education system would have evolved past desks, lectures, paperwork, and mindless rehearsal and regurgitation with absolutely zero emphasis on critical thinking skills...

You can give people anything and they will know only what you have given them...
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day...
You can teach people how to educate themselves and use critical thinking skills and they will learn forever on their own...
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have to agree with Yeats & beezer; one of my jobs is as a private teacher of music theory, & I am constantly astounded at the lack of effort on the part of most of my students.

But what bothers me most is that my first question when each student sits down is " how did your practice go this week?" Almost without exception, those students who perform the worst, & try the least, have parents who immediately chime in with excuse after excuse as to why they couldn't practice. The kids just sit there & grin, while the parent defends their complete lack of effort with ridiculous excuses. Several of these same students will now proclaim, before I even ask, "I didn't work on anything this week, so don't expect much."

Its sad to see that these children are being taught such an awful work ethics by their parents, I feel for teachers in public schools. I know its not politically correct to say, but we have many young brats being produced by parents who over-coddle their children.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The dumbing down of this nation is not by accident. "No Child Left Behind" was the worst government decision ever. I'm sorry but if a kid can't pass a grade, then guess what. They SHOULD be left behind.

Who benefits by pushing them forward to the next grade level? The student doesn't, because he obviously doesn't understand the material. The only people who benefit from it, is the schools. Because attendance and performance = more $$ for the schools.

I don't blame the teachers. I don't blame the parents. I blame the curriculum taught to our children. I blame the bombardment by BS State tests that are shoved down our kids throats every year. I blame the overcrowding of classrooms. School budgets continue to grow and grow and grow, and yet more and more programs are cut. More opportunities are denied for our children.

I also blame the Teachers Unions. Case in point. A local high-school near my home was built recently for a whopping half BILLION dollars. Their budget is passed every single year, to the tune of 30+ million annually. And yet after school programs are continually cut. Field trips? My kid doesn't even know what those are. When I was a kid we went on a class trip every year. Not any more. And you know why? Because we have GYM TEACHERS making over $100,000 a year. We have Superintendents making half a million or more a year. And then these teachers have the absolute gall to protest almost every year for a pay raise. Really? I'm sorry.. you work 180 days a year. You get weekends, holidays and snow days off. You get a week in the spring and a week in the fall off. You get paid for 3 months off in the summer time. You have great health benefits. And you have the BALLS to complain that your not being treated fairly? And you don't have enough funding to provide for a proper learning experience for the kids?

Why is it that every year my child goes to school, I am provided a laundry list of supplies I must provide for him? The schools keep giving less and less to our kids, and pocketing more and more for themselves. Like I stated above, in my local school district, there are at least 20-30 people making over 100k a year. The lowest paid salary? $75,000 a year for the school lunch attendant (ie: lunch lady). $75k a year.....

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pepeluacho

One of the best documentaries explaining the truth behind the decline of American schools.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Pepeluacho because: (no reason given)

After watching the Stossell video you posted I called my mother and thanked her for helping me to learn how to read before kindergarten. I owe much of the personal momentum in my learning to her helping me gain the tools I need to teach myself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join