It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Confirms It Has Troops On The Ground In Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Iran Confirms It Has Troops On The Ground In Syria Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

www.businessinsider.com

Before our presence in Syria, too many people were killed by the opposition but with the physical and non-physical presence of the Islamic republic, big massacres in Syria were prevented," deputy head of Iran's elite Quds force Ismail Gha'ani said in an interview with the semi-official Isna news agency that was published then removed from its website.

This admission has been corroborated as the WSJ reports that the Quds force—the foreign operations arm of the Revolutionary Guards—is sending IRGC commanders and hundreds of foot soldiers into Syria at a time when Bashar al-Assad's reg
(visit the link for the full news article)

ynet news
[url=http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/the-axis/why-is-iran-suddenly-admitting-to-sending-troops-to-syria.premium-1.461237?localLinksEnabled=false]haaretz[ /url]

edit on 28-8-2012 by stonebutterfly because: links

edit on Tue Aug 28 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed link from title

edit on 28-8-2012 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
We heard the rumors they were there, and it has now been confirmed. Iran is in Syria aiding the Assad regime. Chess pieces are coming together seems. My fear is anything could ignite a massive war in the area between numerous nations, especially if chemical weapons come into play. The chemical weapon issue is what will put US and allied troops on the ground, as per Obama. I hope this all comes to an end without a major conflict.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is good news in that Iran is helping its local neighbor in deflecting the western/arab backed coup. IT is in Irans best interest to keep its neighbor healthy because the road to Iran is via Syria. This is why Israel wants to destabilize Syria and to instal a non friendly leader in Syria. They want to instal a leader in syria that is simultaneoulsy not friendly to Israel and Iran. Now this may sound strange but there is a method to the madness. The non-israeli friendly people leader will try to threaten and/or attack Israel but then Israel will use it as a pretext to launch a war on Syria for the purpose of opening the gates towards Iran and for its own land expansion.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Gee Prof, sounds like the usual Mossad blue plate special......with a does of WMD on the side.....
I have often wondered where chem weapons got included into WMD, as they are seldom more than localised events, who, to be sure kill, and maim many,they hardly compare to viral toxins will the potential for millions of deaths, and nukes with the proven capability of mass casualties on large scales.
Still, i cant imagine chemicals succeeding over a large area of terrain....
Certainly not a pleasant death, but, hardly the huge tolls we assign WMDs....
Why not consider the Landmine a WMD, as they reside silently killing and maiming thousands per year, long after the battles and the wars are forgotten?
Syria/Iran have treaty arrangements the preceede this conflict.
It is highly unlikely to asume any other than this being the case.....
It remains to be seen, if this may turn into Causus Belli for Nato or not....
Possibly Turkey may vilently object to this being now Official....
Turkey certainly has been a handy partner for Nato in this theaterical operation in Syria.....and possibly may have to react to this information somehow forcefully....
Isreal, and its twisted foriegn policy arms seem to be in EVERY camp in the middle east.....snidely referringto a slight here....or ranting about Allahs will there....whatever it takes to make the charade keep moving....because when it stops, theres going to be more than one chair short at the trough.......

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Iran knows that Syria is a major asset; if Syria falls Iran is left very vulnerable. For this reason, Iran has troops on the ground in Syria.

To put things in perspective, lets pretend there was a "civil war" in Mexico at the moment, except it wasn't really a civil war and instead a proxy war in which an enemy of ours, let us for the sake of argument assume Russia, was funding and arming resistance forces in Mexico with the end goal of controlling Mexico and leaving us vulnerable to a ground invasion.

Would we help the Mexican govt? You bet! In the same sense, Iran desires to protect the Assad Regime, as does Russia.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Not terribly surprising and I was wondering if Iran would let their ally fall without even trying to directly support them. They are bound by treaty and mutual defense agreements, as I understand it, to assist each other in a time like this. It'd be like Canada being attacked and the U.S. just sitting idly by and watching with concern...but total indifference for action.

Having said that.... This will be interesting to watch if Iran figures the sneaky phase is about shot and they start pouring in support forces in a serious way. Those Rebels could find themselves roadkill in the time it takes to say it if Iran really commits in a serious way here.

They have no reason not to.....If the U.S. and Iran go at it, their ground troops won't really figure in much either way. May as well use them where they can still do something.

Until my own nation's forces are in direct conflict with them, I figure I still have the luxury to hope the locals handle it between each other here. After all, it is a regional problem and even after a major war...will be a regional issue for solutions, IMO.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is good news though. Syria needs help. Although, Bashar Assad is not the best and his track record proves it, the Free Syrian Army are no exceptional alternative. They are a militia of radical extremists who are Pro-Sharia law which is disgusting in terms of civil liberties.

Assad will have to step down, however the FSA cannot win as they have a hideous agenda. Remember that the FSA are pushing propaganda films all over.

The MSM will try to shed light on the good of the FSA however, they are the opposite of what Assad wants which is to westernize Syria as a productive nation capable of exporting oil and other goods.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

but Assad has it's own military forces and well equiped by Russia, Syria can receive any military aid from Russia even more than Iran, there is no need that Iran sends troops for withstanding some Al_Qaeda terrorists ! however this news is under doubt and many media have not the main source. so it is not officially confirmed by Iran.

Undoubtedly, Iran will use the international gathering to its advantage and make use of the NAM to garnish support for its international positions and to help try to end the crisis in Syria. The US-supported siege of Syria will be denounced at the NAM conference and diplomatic blows will be dealt against the US and its clients and satellites. Already the hurried ministerial conference about the fighting in Syria organized by the Iranian Foreign Ministry in Tehran before the emergency summit held by the OIC in Mecca was a prelude to the diplomatic support that Iran will give the Syrian Arab Republic at the 2012 NAM summit.
www.globalresearch.ca...

Iran's troops are in Tehran not Syria !

edit on 29-8-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pepeluacho
They are a militia of radical extremists who are Pro-Sharia law which is disgusting in terms of civil liberties.

yes they are pro_sharia but the sharia of Saudies and Billaden, radicalism is eating the world from Wahabism to Zhionism and cabalism and evangelism, not any monotheistic religion !

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
This is good news in that Iran is helping its local neighbor

The Iranian troops will stay there, and eventually Iran will take over Syria is the talk going around

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

have you ever been to mexico? The russians can have it.....the mexican government doesnt do anything anyway...the cartels do. So if anything this is a bad example. The cartels will not allow anything thats bad for business.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Iran-Syria relations are rooted in the fact that both fear the encroachment of the so-called Arab Spring, or rather Syria is being undone by the Arab Spring and Iran fearing they will be next.

The Arab Spring represents the end of the “old” and the introduction of the “new”, but in the eyes of the Syrian and Iranians, the “new” just represents a change of leadership. There is nothing that focuses the minds of people who think they have a job for life than when it looks like they’ll lose it.

Iran and Syria share the same support for Hezbollah and Hamas and both have a mutual enmity towards Israel. The failure of one party will weaken the other. That’s why Iran is so desperate to keep the brutal Syrian regime in power.

Fortunately, the current dictatorship in Syria looks like it will fail, if only to avenge the 1982 massacres in Hama where untold thousands of were indiscriminately killed by the regime.

Regards

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I get it, I really do.....those who create the anarchy are the same ones to rise to take the place of those they would oust.

Iran's complicity will only make matters worse for all sides in one way of another....doesn't help when the pres of France gets on the tube and says..."if you use chemical weapons, we'll get involved" All this does is make the rebels look for a way to make it happen to ensure that Assad is ousted one way of the other.

Honeslty i would expect nothing less.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Iran-Syria relations are rooted in the fact that both fear the encroachment of the so-called Arab Spring, or rather Syria is being undone by the Arab Spring and Iran fearing they will be next.

to clarify that Arab spring is a benefit to Iran I found these !!!!!

“I am hopeful that other countries will pay attention; will follow the Iranian nation. Egypt, do not be satisfied with your oppressive government which states that it will destroy anyone who uses the name of Islam. Know that Islam is in danger in Egypt. It is obligatory for Egyptian men and women to rise and destroy this government who has announced that it is at war with Islam.” (Sahifah Khomeini, v.15, p.318) “This second president that has been forced on the nation [Hosni Mubarak] imagines that he will reign in Egypt as the other one [Anwar Sadat] did. Before he became president he announced his solidarity with Israel and America. He overlooked that the people threw his predecessor into hell; they will do the same to him. Egypt must know that if they rise as Iran rose they will be successful. The Egyptian nation should not fear martial law; should disregard it just as Iran broke the martial law and came into the streets. The Egyptian scholars should stand up and defend Islam.” (Sahifah-i Imam Khomeini, v.15, p.285)
abna.ir...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hi All,

As a matter of interest, I thought it might be worthwhile drawing people's attention to the 'Die Wield' story originally published bay in May 2011 of the possible existance of Iranian Missile scientists on the ground in Venezuela.

articles.cnn.com...:WORLD

At the time the US, Iran and Venezuela discounted these reports as 'unconfirmed'.

In brief the original article proposed that Iranian missile scientists as well as Iranian air force personell were on the ground in Venezueala, working on remote drone projects that would ostensibly offer the Venuzuelan's protection against possible US lead attacks. But by extension would also give Iran the capability of launching rocket or drone attacks against the US.

I'm not sure how plauseable this idea is, but at the time I thought I'd keep an eye out for any possible covert actions along the lines of an 'industrial accident' in venezuela that might indicate some covert action against the Iranian presence in south america.

I mean if you suspected your high profile sensitive scientists and research activitities were likely to be attacked by airstrikes from israel, what better place to hide them but outside Iran right?

Then low and behold last weekend this happened...

www.businessweek.com...

OK, on the face of it, it could just be a massive conincidence, afterall Venezuela is an oil producing state, like Iran, and accidents to happen all the time in oil refineries. (Expecially if the materials being produced there are high grade rocket fuels maybe?)

Likewise, Iran having having boots on the ground in syria makes complete sense. The invasion of Iraq and afghanistan diverted the attention of AQ from attacks against US mainland and gave AQ the ability to 'walk-to-work' as well as providing the US and other western targets with better insight into potential threats at home and abroad from islamic extremeists. So if syria falls, iran has no buffer against invasion, my thinking is that they would rather fight a war in Syria by proxy than on iranian soil. If their intervention in Syria prevents syria from falling, then thats one less thing they have to worry about.

I thought that the Iran / Venezuela connection might be worthy of its own thread on ATS, but I couldnt find any mention of it on here and being a newbie, (long time lurker) I dont have the ability to post a new thread. I'd be gratefull if others with a stronger ATS pedigree than me might repost this if they think its valid.

- redshoes

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by redshoes

but it seems some how exaggerated because Iran is not soviet union. and I think no country including Syria will sacrifice it's independence for Iran. if a foreign country has a camp in your country it means that your independence is under question. however military cooperation is something else.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join