It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facts Are Stubborn Things -- The Graphed Truth About the Debt & Spending

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
If businesses have control, what do we need congress for.

To declare war.

So those (defense) contractors can get paid.

Here is a convenient list...complete with the industry of each company.

The top ten, excepting two, are named as either 'aerospace and defense' or 'communications and defense' or 'technology and defense.'
The other two being, respectively, a 'conglomerate' and 'trucks and vehicles.'

UTC, the 'conglomerate,' is the manufacturer of the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter.
Oshkosh is the 'trucks and vehicles.'

What that really means is that the top ten government contractors are all related to military/defense type activities.
Which is also where the majority of taxpayer money is going, too.
And I'm not talking FICA tax but IRS tax.

At least they can be somewhat honest with us about where our FICA contributions are spent...the other...not so much...which makes it easy to hide the bottom line that it is NOT 'entitlements' or other social programs that are bankrupting us...but rather anti-social type activities such as making war on terrorism and BS campaigns along that order.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Yep facts are stubborn things that can't be argued like that more people in this country at this moment are getting paid by tax revenue than paying tax revenue which is the source of all our economic "woes".

Current entitlement spending is 2.2 trillion dollars over 100 million Americans or 1 in 6 are on the government dime.

That would be YOUR dime, not the government's. Assuming you get a paycheck of some sort from which FICA tax is taken out and matched by your employer, that is.

The Us government is the largest healthcare provider in the country.Medicare,Medicaid 75 million/50 million with 30 million new people added to the dole via the care act/
The Us government is the largest retirement fund manager in the country.;Social Security
The Us government is the largest provider of mortgages in the country; Fanny and Freddy
The Us government is the largest education provider in the country that has a debt of over 1 trillion dollars

That is the truth about spending that all has destroyed wealth, that has added to the debt because some people actually believe they can live beyond their means.

The US Government has the largest yearly defense budget in the world.
The US Government has the largest military equipment inventory in the world.
The US Government is the largest military spender in the world.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by charles1952

The tax code used to be quite simple and very similar to the flat tax everyone is proposing. There were two problems. The first was special interest groups placed and continue to place all sorts of exemptions and credits into the code.

The second problem, was a flat tax is too simple. Sometimes it leads to harsh results to the taxpayer and more often it allows people to cheat the system. There are elaborate provisions in the code to prevent cheating the system or harsh results the the taxpayer. A flat tax is inadequate to tax income that comes from elaborate transactions or complex.

For all those who advocate a flat tax, tell me how the flat tax will treat the following transaction

1. Taxpayer owns 10% of an LLC. Taxpayer purchased his 10% stake by contributing $50,000 in cash and receiving the remainder as equity compensation for the work taxpayer performed for the LLC. The LLC purchased a building for $1,000,000. The LLC then sold the building for a $1,500,000 note that is to be payed off over a term of 10 years at 6% interest. The LLC distributes to the taxpayer $90,000 a year. Taxpayer is expected to gain a greater interest in the LLC as compensation for his labors before the note matures.

Exactly right, good point. Not to mention the fact, that a flat tax is regressive, taking 10% from someone earning 20K a year is going to affect their life far more than taking 10% from someone making 500K a year.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Yep facts are stubborn things that can't be argued like that more people in this country at this moment are getting paid by tax revenue than paying tax revenue which is the source of all our economic "woes".

Current entitlement spending is 2.2 trillion dollars over 100 million Americans or 1 in 6 are on the government dime.

The Us government is the largest healthcare provider in the country.Medicare,Medicaid 75 million/50 million with 30 million new people added to the dole via the care act/
The Us government is the largest retirement fund manager in the country.;Social Security
The Us government is the largest provider of mortgages in the country; Fanny and Freddy
The Us government is the largest education provider in the country that has a debt of over 1 trillion dollars

That is the truth about spending that all has destroyed wealth, that has added to the debt because some people actually believe they can live beyond their means.

1st of all you do realize that medicare and medicaid do not provide health care, they pay for it.
2nd, the people that are currently drawing social security, more than likely paid into it for 40 years, same with medicare.
3rd, Fanny and Freddy do not provide mortgages, they guarantee them.
4th, yeah you are probably right, we do pay for public education, but our LOCAL property taxes pay for a good deal of that,

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The Us government is the largest healthcare provider in the country.Medicare,Medicaid 75 million/50 million with 30 million new people added to the dole via the care act/ The Us government is the largest retirement fund manager in the country.;Social Security The Us government is the largest provider of mortgages in the country; Fanny and Freddy The Us government is the largest education provider in the country that has a debt of over 1 trillion dollars

Healthcare and education should be social. A healthy and educated society works toward the benefit of us all. The way it is being done however, is insane. The new Healthcare law is a Capitalist wet dream that Health Insurance Cartels are going to be benefiting from the most.

As far as education goes, the government does not provide education, they offer student loans and they also guarantee private loans meaning that if I borrow 20,000 dollars from BOA for a years tuition and then I don't pay it back on time the government will pay the bank the 20,000 plus interest. In other words the government is paying schools and banks across the country but a whole buttload of 20-30 year olds are starting out life with on the low end 80K debt. Most of which will never be paid back. It would be less of a burden on our economy if education were truly socialized, if young people were given the money instead of the banks.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged
reply to post by pajoly

See this is the problem I have with this... HOW CAN government count money that Americans are allowed to keep as adding to the debt?!

The bush era tax cut was never the governments money it's OURS dangit. So how can they accuse this program of adding to the debt?! That's typical big government BS! It's our money!
edit on 28-8-2012 by IsThisThingBugged because: (no reason given)

i can't wait for private business to tax themselves to pay for the military, roads, bridges, sewers, garbage facilities, other infrastucture spending, etc..... by the way, 62% of the republican convention center was paid by taxpayers..THE REPUBLICANS DIDN'T BUILD IT.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
How do repubs continue to convince people to support tax and spending policies that almost completely go to the rich and ICs, against their own best interests.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I launched this thread, but have stayed out of it for a few days once the trolls began, well, trolling. I wish there were people on the Right that actually put together coherent and testable positions. I miss intelligent debate, which has now been made impossible since the Right chased out all the intellectual conservatives from the party. All that's left are zombies and they are no fun or challenge to debate...sort of like arguing with a door knob.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Dear pajoly,

I am truly sorry for being a zombie, a troll, and a door knob in your eyes. I can't claim to be an intellectual conservative, but I do try to be a serious one.

Would you care to pick out a point and give me another chance to discuss it with you?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You can start by trying to explain why the US middle class should be expected to pay the enormous cost of keeping international trade going, from which the super rich, Wall Street traders, and ICs almost exclusively benefit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join