It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a RAF Tornado crash during a UFO intercept mission in 1997?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

It is a great series of photos apart from one. The ejection didn't take place in the air. They filmed the ejection on the ground using an Su-27UB painted up to look like the Su-35 number 801. Note the giveaway of the slanted fin tops? The Su-35 flew without the canopy and had the rocket ejection seat blast marked painted on the fuselage.

The footage of the ejection on the ground from the Su-27UB

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyjo
reply to post by bluestreak53

It is a great series of photos apart from one. The ejection didn't take place in the air. They filmed the ejection on the ground using an Su-27UB painted up to look like the Su-35 number 801. Note the giveaway of the slanted fin tops? The Su-35 flew without the canopy and had the rocket ejection seat blast marked painted on the fuselage.

The footage of the ejection on the ground from the Su-27UB

Okay. But that has absolutely no bearing on the original point. I'm quite sure it is possible to fly an aircraft without a canopy in place.

In any case, that latest video is quite revealing. I'm not sure I would conclude the "pilots" came from a "crashed Tornado". And also no way of knowing without further evidence if the "crash site" was in any way related to events from that night.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by izopen

Thanks for the video izopen, I will watch it over the weekend to see if Burns offers up any more information on the case.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shino
I rarely star & flag threads, but this is going to be one of them. One of the most intriguing themes that is consistent within this topic is the issue of sonic booms over populated areas with the military rejecting ownership. Unlike seeing "something in the sky", a sonic boom is inherently unmistakable - you can't mix that up with a conventional explanation. What it goes to show is that there was an object in the sky going at rapid speeds, an object not belonging to the military. That is an amazing admission if anything.

Right. And suppose the true facts are that the RAF were chasing a SR-71 or an undisclosed SR-75, or some test drone, but didn't know it until much later?

They won't reveal anything anwyay, because either it is opening admission to questioning about an undisclosed program or an operational screwup---chase a non-threat, and then crash. There is no upside for them and only downside.
edit on 15-9-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hmm Burns now claims to have found an ambulanceman who says his colleague (a former policeman) confirms that an aircrew were picked up by police (if I heard that right).

He has also found a crash site in woods and pieces of an aircraft.

Actually this was all a year ago. So where next for this case?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yes it's well over a year since the last update here on this case and close to 17 years ago since the incident happened.

However I'm always aware that this is how the MSM often operates. No follow up on stories long forgotten unless force fed new information. So I always try to dig for anything that may add to a case.

Now this isn't actually new information that has appeared recently (it's from 2010) but I have found what appears to be pictures of parts of a Tornado found in the Peak District where an RAF aircraft is alleged to have crashed.

Source(s): www.sheffieldforum.co.uk...
www.sheffieldforum.co.uk...

This is a case long forgotten now in the UK. But at the time a very costly rescue mission was launched which found absolutely nothing. I still wonder what happened.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Apologies for the thread resurrection.
I was at college in Barnsley studying agriculture when this took place.
There were four or five lads on the course from Ewden/Stocksbridge/Midhope & my girlfriend at the time was from a farm between Penistone & Midhope.
I was a keen hill walker & knew the area well, I surveyed aircraft wreck sites & military sites around the area for my A Level & BA Archaeology dissertations.

On the night, we were out in Barnsley & going between pubs saw & heard a light aircraft low, heading roughly N/W.
Later on we heard an almighty bang or boom but with no obvious jet noise. We dismissed it until the wednesday when I was on day release to college (I'd been out with shcool friends rather than lads from the agriculture course).

The subject was brought up & it turned out that two of the lads farms had been used as RVP's for the emergency services & one had taken people up onto Howden Moor in the farm Land Rover.

None of them had heard fast jets, just a low, light aircraft followed by a boom & a flash on the moor.
It was fairly big news locally at the time & I was talking to a mutual friend in the Crowden MRT later that week who said they'd been tasked to an aircraft crash.

On the following saturday, I went up on the moors for a look myself (I'd have been going up anyway), I didn't see any signs of anything on Howden Moor or from Outer Edge looking down toward Howden/Ladybower.
Coming back up towards the Shepherds Meeting Stones, there was a set of indentations in the heather & peat. In the shape of a 'T' with double indentations to the N & a single one to the S which I put down to a Sea King having put down to drop the MRT off.

The moors up there have 100+ aircraft wreck sites, some of them have a benign feeling but a few are decidedly mallevolent even on a sunny day.

Sorry for the long winded post but its as clear as day nearly 20 years later.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Andyparker

Wow. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Andyparker

No problem resurrecting the thread. It's only 6 months to the twentieth anniversary of this incident now as well and there are still some unanswered questions about the case. Mainly what caused the two sonic booms. One occurred at 21.52 and the second was reported at 22.06.

I know it's probably difficult to remember now. But would you be going between pubs around the time of the sonic booms? Given that 'last orders' was 11:00pm back in the day.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

What he describes does sound like Sea King. I'm tempted to poke some old colleagues who worked for one of the newspapers who wrote about this.

Without awakening the bear.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I haven't time (or enough new information) to create a whole new 20th anniversary thread on what has become known as the "Howden Moor" or "Sheffield" UFO Incident of 1997.

It is possibly the last 'classic' UFO case in Britain with some solid evidence and multiple witnesses. However it's also a relatively unknown case beyond our shores (even within them!). There doesn't seem to have been any popular media coverage about it's 20th anniversary.

The two sonic booms at 21.52 and 22.06 recorded over the Peak District area have never been explained. Nor have the the multiple sightings of UFOs/ghost aircraft and witness reports of a possible crashed 'aircraft'. Questions in Parliament resulted in stonewall answers.

Just like a much more famous UFO incident across the Atlantic, the Phoenix Lights, this incident seems to mark the end of an era for Ufology.

If you haven't heard of this case before then read the thread!

edit on 28/3/17 by mirageman because: edit

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join