It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Yin (Darkness) is superior according to Lao Tzu and many ancient teachers...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
AN easy way to understand the concept of Yin and Yang is to look at a convection cell. Yin/Yang is the hot air rising and the cool air descending. That catalysts is what creates the movement and the energy is manifested as the Tao.

Or you can look at it the other way around. There is the Tao (reality) and the two gears that make it work are the Yin and the Yang elements. Opposing forces, so each is pulling the other along by it's boot straps almost like the electro-magnetic relationship/concert a light particle plays with it's self as it travels or manifests. Yin and Yang, they are equal and in fact the same thing. They are just two sides to the same coin (the tao)

Basically wen you get down to it Chinese Taoism is really the basic study of thermodynamics. The five elements and how they convert into the others or neutralize them. The reciprocation of Yin and Yang being like a convection cell.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Darkness does exist, don't confuse it with light and dark.
Darkness can mean, being lost, wandering in the misty woods, the dark realm, known as the underworld.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Originally posted by Sly1one
reply to post by arpgme

It can't be "superior" that throws the whole "balance" thing (that yin/yang is built upon) off...if its an imbalanced concept then one would overtake the other until it is just "1" or "yin"...

also lets not forget that yin/yang are 2 parts of a whole which is actually 3 total parts. you have yin and you have yang and you have yin+yang which is the entirety in balance similar to "zero" or "infinity"

You won't find pure states of yin or yang they are always intertwined to give contrast...this is what allows them to exist and be perceived in the first place...

If the concept of yin/yang has a superior "half" then the whole concept makes no sense...the whole point is to understand balance between opposing concepts...

edit on 28-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

Its not really superior, however the darkness is the base for everything, you could say that the darkness is the alpha and the light is the omega.

Everything including light stems from the darkness.

If you perceive the foundation of the concept as darkness then in that context it would SEEM more important...however how do you KNOW its the foundation? I could just as easily say that light is the foundation and darkness is built upon the light as all darkness is, is a lack of light and all light is, is a lack of darkness....

A funny thing about the yin-yang symbol is that if you cut it in two equal halves its impossible to divide it into pure halves. This is why within the white there is a dark dot and within the dark there is a light dot...and this could also be why there is a slight curved divider instead of a straight line...it keeps you from dividing the whole into separate parts devoid of their counterpart....you cannot divide the symbol into two equal pieces one of them 100% light and one 100% dark...they will always contain their counterpart somewhere within them...

superiority is an illusion that is reinforced with framed contextual comparisons....

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
From my perspective it also looks as if the balance is tipped in favour of the yin principle.

it seems to me that we and the world ride on a spiral through our world and not in circles is the reason why I came to that conclusion. maybe many could think we do move in circles, but I don’t see it that way.

maybe at times it could be a personal matter, some might go forever downhill, others go upwards and yet others continuously do the circle. however if I hold still, go with the flow of what life presents to me, I seem to grow, to increase peace and to move away from disturbance. but maybe the yin/yang principle is a norm that always represents the moment. the moment out of which new directions have to be found, choices to be made.

maybe time makes the difference. some time for us and eons of time for the world. it is only over time that a spiral seems to move in one direction.

as for slicing the yin/yang symbol in a way the poster above did, works only on a 3d level. if you slice it in a holographic sense you will get the pure halves - so I think anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Wuji, or Dao precedes the state of yin and yang. The master state is the primordial state which is indescribable. Once a description is made of it, it is then brought into the yin/yang dualist state. Yin=0, where Yang=1(binary)
Wuji/Dao=
It is beyond nothing and everything, and so cannot be given a descriptor. Being one with the Dao is going beyond yin and yang.

Think of what Lao Tzu has said:
Know(a yin action) Yang, and embrace(a yang action) Yin.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Originally posted by Sly1one
reply to post by arpgme

It can't be "superior" that throws the whole "balance" thing (that yin/yang is built upon) off...if its an imbalanced concept then one would overtake the other until it is just "1" or "yin"...

also lets not forget that yin/yang are 2 parts of a whole which is actually 3 total parts. you have yin and you have yang and you have yin+yang which is the entirety in balance similar to "zero" or "infinity"

You won't find pure states of yin or yang they are always intertwined to give contrast...this is what allows them to exist and be perceived in the first place...

If the concept of yin/yang has a superior "half" then the whole concept makes no sense...the whole point is to understand balance between opposing concepts...

edit on 28-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

Its not really superior, however the darkness is the base for everything, you could say that the darkness is the alpha and the light is the omega.

Everything including light stems from the darkness.

I believe this is true in our reality/dimension. It can be most easily seen in the platonic solids, with yin being represented by the circle and yang by straight lines. You can make straght lines and all the other platonic solids except one by folding the circle. This seems to show it is the resting state.

Our own autonimous nervous system seems to also correlate this info. Yin/parasympathetic nervous response/resting, relaxation, calm and yang/sympathetic nervous system/adrenal, active, fight or flight response. Large amounts of medical data show its unhealthy to stay adrenal for prolonged periods of time, but it can be extremely usefull in short bursts ie. to escape danger. This is what LaoTzu meant by know yang but embrace yin.

Originally posted by Metatronin
Wuji, or Dao precedes the state of yin and yang. The master state is the primordial state which is indescribable. Once a description is made of it, it is then brought into the yin/yang dualist state. Yin=0, where Yang=1(binary)
Wuji/Dao=
It is beyond nothing and everything, and so cannot be given a descriptor. Being one with the Dao is going beyond yin and yang.

Ultimately Dao is behind these manifestations of duality, but these manifestations are also representations of the underlying releality and hence, signposts to mark the way

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
[ Actually, it is more typically "western" thought which views "nothingness" as equal to "darkness" as is equal to "death" as is equal to "evil." We tend to form some very highly emotionally charged (and sad) connotations in our culture.

I agree. I hadn't caught on at first that some association was being made here between the concept of "darkness" and "evil".......it does seem to be a fairly common way of thought in the western world, where instead of Yin and Yang, duality is looked at more in terms of good and evil.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metatronin
Wuji, or Dao precedes the state of yin and yang.

And what is "The Way (Dao)"?

It talks about it in The Tao Te Ching. It is like water benefiting without asking for merit.
The Way is to Give to Lack and Take from Excess.

He also says that Humans deviate from the way and create their own way:

"Give to Excess, and Take from Lack"

The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer.

Only one who understands The Way can Give away their Excess to The Lacking...

So The Way is GIVING - a quality of YANG.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join