It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover's intriguing geological find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Curiosity rover's intriguing geological find

www.bbc.co.uk

The Mars rover Curiosity is indulging in a flurry of multimedia activity ahead of its science mission proper.

It sent the first image from its 100mm telephoto lens, already spotting an intriguing geological "unconformity".

Nasa also released a colour panorama of Mount Sharp, the rover's ultimate goal.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Oh my oh my. That is one sweet picture.

I believe this will tell an awful lot about Mars.

Is it just me or are they layers, I bet those layers will tell an amazing story. God only knows what's in them.

I can wait to hear all about it, but apparently it's going to take a year to get over there!!! Noooooo!!!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. That is a good pic.

I am looking forward to more of this kind of thing every week.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Holy Tatooine...

Actually, it's quite amazing how we can put a unmanned vehicle on another planet, take samples w/analysis, send back HD pics, but have yet to put a cure for cancer on the market, or even figure out how to make a car 'go' without utilizing gasoline.

It just doesn't make sense...

Thanks for the link OP.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Different challenges have different timescales. We have made huge advances in cancer, and space exploration. Yes, even the combustion engine has improved quite a bit. Anyhow, I hope Mars doesn't disappoint.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am aware that the apparent stratification of the rock that we see in the background doesn't necessarily mean that it is sedimentary rock.

But it sure does look like it.

And sedimentary does not necessarily mean that it was formed by an ocean, but it may have been.

I am going to predict fossils are found on Mars. Maybe not by Curiosity, but some day, some way.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Hmm well I'm no expert but I do know that on earth there are layered mountainous regions that were partially formed by the eruption of volcanoes, with such catastrophic energy to change the landscape for miles around. Ash can form layers thick of varying type of sediment.

And so can Meteors.

But since we are certain Mars has had fluid water in it's history (at least I am) then I still see no out of order formations there. What I do find astonishing is that it's a different planet. Only when I saw the images like this did it strike me; we're looking at something no human eyes have ever seen before.

They may very well find fossils there, but of fairly basic life I'd assume. But would we even recognise a fossilised creature from an alien planet if we rolled right over it?? Archaeologists are hard pressed to find things on earth after hundreds of years, let alone on a foreign planet with a super humvee armed with lazers on a land never seen before.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Both of those things are far more complex than the rover projects. Cancer isn't just one disease you can cure, and a car that runs off something other than gasoline would require completely redesigning the internal combustion engine as we know it, as well as a global infrastructure built to support gas burners.

And as far as I'm concerned, Curiosity has advanced humanity far more than either of those ever would.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Rocket science is much easier than biochemistry.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Holy Tatooine...

Actually, it's quite amazing how we can put a unmanned vehicle on another planet, take samples w/analysis, send back HD pics, but have yet to put a cure for cancer on the market, or even figure out how to make a car 'go' without utilizing gasoline.

Thanks for the link OP.

People making billions from petrol why would they look for an alternative to that to run our cars? Personally i think we have the technology to run cars without this substance, but like i said when people are making billions and billions every year i don't think their is a big rush to change the petrol engine.

As for cancer companies make billions from cancer drugs of all kinds.Finding a cure might not want their looking too do as evil as that sounds.
edit on 28-8-2012 by P12SOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by P12SOLD

People making billions from petrol why would they look for an alternative to that to run our cars? Personally i think we have the technology to run cars without this substance, but like i said when people are making billions and billions every year i don't think their is a big rush to change the petrol engine.

As for cancer companies make billions from cancer drugs of all kinds.Finding a cure might not want their looking too do as evil as that sounds.

JFC...well done on understanding my point. You, like most on this thread, are very astute...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
No fourwheeler tracks, no camel tracks, no cactus, no birds, no snakes. Not my idea of an interesting place.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
From everything I've heard, the daytime sky above mars is supposed to be red, the opposite of our daytime blue, and likewise its sunset sky is supposed to be blue. None of the pics I've seen show that. Have I missed something?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

We CAN have cars that do not utilize gasoline.
But we DON'T because the government would lose profit and special interests overseas.

Great picture there too OP.
This is the kind of photo quality that should be had on a regular basis from a multibillion dollar project. And I am happy that it seems to be showing the "true color" of Mars rather than showing the beauty through deceiving filters.
edit on 29-8-2012 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The Mars rover Curiosity is indulging in a flurry of multimedia activity

Cool.

What's it's tweeter account?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
i cant wait till it comes across some tharks barsoom is so exciting.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

Look here.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Obrigado!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Holy Tatooine...

Thanks for the link OP.

Cancer hasn't been cured because it is not actually disease of anything other than lifestyle it's caused by contaminants entering the body and the only true cure is elimination of toxins and lifestyle choices etc, it's an illness caused mainly by modern life.

Landing on Mars is simple physics (okay not so simple) but in the end it all boils down to Math which is exact 1 + 1 equals 2, distance, mass, gravity your guaranteed certain results in this case aside from accident.

But you can't stop a smoker or someone living near fukushima from getting cancer anymore than you can cure swords from cutting

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Amazing image! I think we'll learn a lot about Mars with the new rover. These pictures are just a scratch on the surface of what is to come!

new topics

top topics

join