It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deaf Preschooler Not Allowed To Sign Own Name Because Gesture Resembles "Weapons"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
A deaf 3 year old preschooler by the name of Hunter Spanjer has been told by his school that he must change his name because the boy's gesticulation is threatening.

They said his sign language resembles 'weapons' and the Grand Island School District has a policy that prevents students from bringing any instrument that resembles a weapon to school.

They are fine with considering his hands as 'instruments'.

The boy's father, Brian Spanjer disagrees with the teachers and assorted officials by saying, “It’s a symbol. It’s an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E. [Signing Exact English]”

Administrators stand by their position by stating that the gesture is not “not an appropriate thing to do in school", that it is a "misunderstanding", but that they still need him to change his name.

Here is a picture of him saying his name:

And here is a link to a video of him and a story about the incident:

landing.newsinc.com...

Well folks, this story was so absurd to me that I had to share it with you guys. I can't understand what the school is thinking. The kid's name definitely doesn't look like a gun, and it is not threatening at all. He is 3 years old for Christ's sake and it is his NAME. How are you going to tell a deaf child it is wrong for him to say him own name. It just isn't a human thing to do.

And if they are preoccupied with something as foolish as this then what must be on their agenda for actually teaching the kids... scary thought.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Does changing a name cost money?

Aren't they going to reimburse for costs and possible other reasons (emotional damage)? Where are the sue-happy lawyers?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

Already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

join