It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Republican National Convention Discussion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I haven't been watching for the past hour...what did they vote on???

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The GOP and RNC is a farce. I can't believe whats taking place. I've never considered voting democrat until today.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This should be interesting, Looking forward to see if any ATSers find anything positive to say.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok, npr has a nice live blog following the action...so I finally found out what the controversial vote was about.

The RNC put forward a motion to not seat all of Ron Paul's delegates from Maine...even though the "Ayes" and "NOs" were equally loud....the chairman passed it. And this is exactly what I said would happen if the Ron Paul supporters tried anything...the chairman would just pass the motions.

Yes it sucks...but this is a Party...not the government.

www.npr.org...

Update at 4:20 p.m. ET. "SEAT THEM NOW!" Vs. "USA!"

The convention has gotten raucous. When it was moved that the Rules Committee's recommendation that not all of Ron Paul's delegates from Maine be seated should be adopted, the "NOs!" were as loud as the "AYEs!" And when RNC Chairman Reince Priebus declared that the motion had passed, the arena got even louder.

"SEAT THEM NOW!" yelled the Paul supporters and others who oppose the decision and the plan to give future presidential nominees more control over which delegates do and don't get seated. "USA!" other delegates shouted in an unsuccessful bid to drown them out.

Priebus pushed through the fracas, asking delegates to be respectful. It's been several minutes and the volume has gone down, but there are still catcalls.

Update at 4:25 p.m. ET. "POINT OF ORDER!"

The floor fracas continues. Once again "NOs" are as loud as "AYEs" when the delegates are asked to vote on rule changes that give nominees more control over who is or isn't a delegate (and, presumably, more of a chance to exclude supporters of such candidates as Rep. Ron Paul). As with the previous vote, the chair declares the motion is passed. Even louder "boos!" erupt.

From the floor, Liz Halloran reports that "Texas delegates were screaming "POINT OF ORDER!" She says there's a group of at least 20 in that delegation doing the shouting. "It's a tumultuous scene down here," she emails.

Meanwhile, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell continues to talk at the podium about the change that Republicans hope to bring to the nation. He's basically ignoring any distractions.

Update at 4:35 p.m. ET. More On The Dispute:

"This is not about Ron Paul," Minnesota delegate (and Paul supporter) Rudy Takala, 23, tells NPR's Liz Halloran. "This is about future conventions."
Takala says "we want to be able to submit a minority report and vote on it. We want to at least have a vote."

In the end, though, it appears that the party has decided to push through and keep things going — knowing, of course, that while the Paul supporters are very loud they are not in the majority.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Also, the delegates are making nomination speeches now.

Romney has just been "seconded" as the nominee.

And it seems like they are about to do the roll call.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm really surprised the Paul supporters aren't more interested in this...this is supposedly what they were waiting for.

This is where they said the delegates are not bound and can vote for Ron Paul, or that they will abstain to force a second round.

So...where are all you Paul supporters???
edit on 28-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I'm really surprised the Paul supporters aren't more interested in this...this is supposedly what they were waiting for.

This is where they said the delegates are not bound and can vote for Ron Paul, or that they will abstain to force a second round.

We're here. I'm just watching the tv shaking my head as the idiots flush their country down the toilet. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
They are throwing a few votes to Ron Paul, not much.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
oh we are here, just watching to see whats gonna happen. Most of us knew all along, the sham would continue and there really is no way to peacefully change the course of our country. If they wont listen to our protests, and we cant change things from the ground up, well what else is there?

Theres only one solution left and THAT is in nobody's best interest. Will we fight for our freedom...HELL YES....but none of us really want to, but what choice will we have. It is very obvious our last resort, and that scenario is drawing closer and closer

Dont worry OS, we all knew Obama would still be president if Paul lost, that still holds, we just wanted to change the future of this nation in the most peaceful way possible, and we failed. But we only failed because of corruption and cheating, it wasnt due to a lack of passion for this nation, it was largely due to the politicians creating and then firmly holding onto and expanding their power...this is what we get. Cheaters on the right...Liars on the left
edit on 28-8-2012 by phishfriar47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Also, the delegates are making nomination speeches now.

Romney has just been "seconded" as the nominee.

And it seems like they are about to do the roll call.

Watching that now. So many of these speakers are so awkward and that kid from Colorado looks kind of crazy.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

RP's campaign manager basically told people not to "make a fuss" and play ball...I guess they're listening

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh is Delaware drunk??? That was funny (you had to see it).

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elton

The delegations keep saying "Ron Paul"...but since Romney is the only one on the first ballot...they just go to "Other".

The official count at the end will not even include Ron Paul.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I really wish the baby boomers would just stop screwing up our country and give it up already. How much further are we going to let this generation destroy our country? Brainwashed zombies the entire generation.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elton

The delegations keep saying "Ron Paul"...but since Romney is the only one on the first ballot...they just go to "Other".

The official count at the end will not even include Ron Paul.

Of course it won't. The GOP is now a wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America...and what they want (and paid for) is an Etch A Sketch muppet candidate who will say whatever they want. Agree or disagree with RP (I disagree with most btw...mostly when it comes to the economy, his views in that respect are childishly uninformed), one thing he's not is a bought muppet...ergo he doesn't stand a chance.

link   
WOW!

When Georgia announced their votes...the delegates mic went off when she was about to announce 3 for Ron Paul.

You can hear someone, not sure who it was, but someone off camera made a comment of "Whoever is controlling that mic timed it perfectly".

I'm sorry Ron Paul supporters...they just don't want you there.

Anyway...the count right now is.

Romney: 515
Other (Ron Paul): 15

link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
I really wish the baby boomers would just stop screwing up our country and give it up already. How much further are we going to let this generation destroy our country? Brainwashed zombies the entire generation.

Now! Now!

I'm a baby boomer.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Britt Hume looked very unconfortable when the anthem was playing I think he wanted to stand up and stop talking and sing it...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Let's take bets...what State will they have announce the delegates that will put Romney over 1144???

I think Michigan or Ohio...it is sometimes the candidates home state...but I don't think they will have Mass. do it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join