It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran said to supply Syria with elite force

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Iran said to supply Syria with elite force

www.upi.com

Iran has begun supplying Syria with an elite force trained in obliterating military uprisings, force members said after Iran promised to help Syria if it asked.

The quiet shipment of hundreds of members of Iran's 125,000-man Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution, or the Revolutionary Guards, to Syria is in addition to Tehran's stepped-up efforts to aid Syrian President Bashar Assad's military with cash and arms, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday

It is also part of an initiative in which Iran replaces low-ranking Syrian soldiers who defected with Iranian troops, furnis
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran sends troops to Syria

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This was originally reported by the WSJ but the link to this story requires a subscription so I provided the link that provides the full story without having to pay.

This revelation isn't really news to some of us but now it seems to be semi-official. We have long known that both sides have had their allies helping intervene in the situation via proxy.

Even though Syria and Iran have defensive pacts, and I support regional allies helping eachother in these types of situations, this is bound to backfire on Iran due to the negative publicity it is bound to cause.

This will no doubt pave the way for more visible Western intervention which may lead to a wider regional conflict which is what some of the involved parties are hoping for.

Regrettably it appears that Iran reacting the exact way the West wanted them to. Iranian involvement in Syria will cause a ripple effect that I can't even begin to fathom upon.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I'm not an Iran apologist but this isn't a surprise and I don't see much wrong with it.

Substitute the words Iran for US and Israel for Syria and it would just be another day...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sounds like a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

It demands total concentwation

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Iran and Syria have a defense pact.. If its true, I see no problem with it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Iran and Syria have a defense pact.. If its true, I see no problem with it.

I agree.

My intention was to stay as neutral as possible in my OP but I support Iran 100% in this scenario.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Good article, very informative... From the same article:

On the other side of Syria's conflict, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are reported to have funded and armed opposition rebels, while Turkey has allowed rebel forces to keep an unofficial base near Syria's border.

So is this going to turn into a war by proxy I wonder?

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Sounds like a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

It demands total concentwation

Dr. Klahn, I have missed you!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I dont think it matters what they do, one way or another, Iran will be attacked.. and my dumbass government will drag my country into yet another war.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well in truth, i do see BIG problems with such a move publicly......
Its well known that up to amnd maybe more than 15000 Iranis fight in Syria now....for Assads side.
More troops will be an opener for the wests backing goverments to essentially throw anything they wish at the FSA to finish the job.
As far as weapons go, more anti armour, and anti aircraft artillery or missiles will be forthcomming im sure.
Perhaps the official troops will be shipped into the north through Turkey....Certainly Turkey stands ready to invade with troops at the border now....
Escalation will come with this news be sure of it....thus its not the best news even if youve "no problem"
I am sure Hillary and Co will be furiously happy to oblige the step up.......

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
To be expected from Iran. As a result, in the end (after the overthrow of Assad and his bloody regime) Iran and Russia will lose all influence in Syria with the Syrian populace. This will be a blessing to the middle-east.

Yes, as many here have speculated, Iran will fall shortly afterward.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
People are "okay" with Iran sending military forces to Syria, because they have "defensive agreements" between them.

But NATO/U.S./any other western nation siding with Israel - or any allied nation - because they possess exactly the same type of alliance, is a crime against humanity, and a conspiracy to doom us all.

You got to love the hypocrisy in some subjects.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Can't wait until the U.S. Navy gets to take over Russia's last remaining naval base in the region (Syria).

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

I' dont think it matters what they do, one way or another, Iran will be attacked.. and my dumbass government will drag my country into yet another war.

I'm not taking sides here, or pushing any agenda..
but It is almost certain that it is your government that is pulling the
strategic strings behind Israel. It is totally inconceivable
that Israel would attack Iran without the US.

Indeed it is certain that Israel will kick off the war by design.
edit on 28-8-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If Assad has a full or almost full control of Syrian Army -300000 active personal plus thousands of tanks and considerable air force- and if people who fight him are only militants paid by NATO without the support of ordinary Syrians, why would he need Iranian forces to help him?
Something tells me that situation in Syria is not that simple, is it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

It is almost certain that it is your government that is pulling the strategic strings behind Israel.

I believe that its just the opposite, I think Israel pulls the strings... Its almost certain that Obama isnt really pro Israel but I think his "advisers" are pushing him.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

And what is Israel going to gain from that? Bashar Assad is an enemy of Israel but he never attacked Israel. He never demanded destruction of Israel, only Golan heights and access to Kineret. Plus , he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer so having him as enemy is not a huge problem.
People who fight him are connected to Hamas, some are even members of it. They are declaring that they will fight Israel until it will dissapear. The chance that they will be smarter then Assad is very high.
What will Israel gain from fall of not very religious Assad who represents an ethnic and religious minority?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Iran and Syria are local regional neighbors and have been for thousands of years even before they were ever called Iran. Irans future existence depends upon Syrias stability and Iran is in its every right to provide support for its neighbor.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I maintain that, in my opinion, a western conflict with Iran could be the straw that breaks the camels back, large world wide conflicts have sparked over less. If the west wanted to wage war on Iran or Iran's interests they'd probably be best to stick with covert population manipulation, fighting by proxy essentially. Worldwide international tensions remain high, much higher than the American media would have us believe in my opinion.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Symbiot because: Typo... Wast haha

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Iran and Syria are local regional neighbors and have been for thousands of years even before they were ever called Iran. Irans future existence depends upon Syrias stability and Iran is in its every right to provide support for its neighbor.

I agree, I am not a "Iran supporter" but they do have the right to help each other. I wonder is Syria would return the favor if the shoe was on the other foot?

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
IMO the only way Alfsa-qaeda will achieve it's goals in Syria is by more direct western intervention..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join