It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yosemite officials: 1,700 past visitors risk hantavirus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is my first (other than introduction) "real" post. So... Please excuse any mistakes. Hopefully I've put this in the correct place.

Yosemite officials are warning 1,700 past visitors that they may have been exposed to a rodent-borne disease. The warning comes after a second person died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome... All of the at-risk visitors had stayed at the "Signature Tent Cabins" in Yosemite's Curry Village from mid-June through the end of August.

Article Source

I don't have a whole lot to say about it. But did think it warranted attention in watching disease progression - but also if you happened to be one of those visitors! The actual article includes an informational phone number, should you need more information.

edit on 28-8-2012 by sparksfley because: URL code not working

edit on 28-8-2012 by sparksfley because: URL code... ARGH!

edit on 28-8-2012 by sparksfley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sparksfley

Ya did good!

I saw a news article on this today where they were spraying all of the tent/cabins down. Pretty scary, to see these kinds of diseases popping up....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

They pop up all the time but since the swine flu "scare" these scare stories are being sensationalized...
Look at the hype about this very minimal hurricane Isaac, its ridiculous. The media started hyping this storm
while it was still in the Atlantic, stupid.
I live in S Texas and we havent had rain for months, we would be lucky for it to hit here.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

In response to Isaac, my friend lost her home - and ALL belongings - in Katrina. They had evacuated, and merely put more expensive items higher than the floor, based on the information given them. They came home to a concrete slab. They moved. At their new place, they can withstand an 11' surge, but they were just told to expect 16'. The run on gas is also getting pretty bad in her area, and her parent's have already had gas siphoned from their vehicles right in their own driveway. While I'm not educated in weather phenomenon - I can say that it's not minimal to my friend's family. Personally, I live in Southern California - hurricanes, and their effects, are not in my personal repertoire of experience (but go ahead and ask me about earthquakes!) - but what she went through after Katrina, and the backlash of what she's feeling now close to the anniversary, is palpable.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
In the movie The X-files "Fight the Future" the Hantavirus is a cover for the Alien virus that helps to begin colonization of earth...And that it would begin on a Holiday while everyone was away from home.

Just sayin.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Update : 10000 are possibly infected with this fatal disease now

this thing is really nasty .. remind me of the black plague

Around 10,000 tourists visiting California's Yosemite National Park could have been exposed to a deadly virus that kills one in three victims and cannot be treated, officials confirmed.

AFP reported that six cases of the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), a rare lung disease, have been confirmed leaving two people dead and a 'multiple' number of suspected cases of the virus spread by infected rodent droppings being investigated.

According to the BBC, the National Park says it is receiving about 1,000 calls per day from frightened visitors on its Hantavirus hotline.

There is no known cure for the virus and symptoms can take up to six weeks to show with one in three cases fatal.

Carried in rodent faeces, urine and saliva, the virus can be inhaled by humans when it dries out and is mixed with dust. It can also spread when contaminated substances are touched or people are bitten by an infected animal.

Yosemite National Park visitors could have been exposed to deadly virus
edit on 9/2/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sparksfley

I know this might sound a bit dense. But, can it pass betwen human to human?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just saw this update... Thought it prudent to add it here (article link below to read in full). But a 3rd Yosemite visitor has died from the virus. The toll is now 3 dead, another 5 ill. The article is still advertising the phone number to call if you have questions or concerns.

Source Article

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
In the movie The X-files "Fight the Future" the Hantavirus is a cover for the Alien virus that helps to begin colonization of earth...And that it would begin on a Holiday while everyone was away from home.

Just sayin.

there is a holiday, when everyone is away from home.....what holiday is this?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Update : 10000 are possibly infected with this fatal disease now

this thing is really nasty .. remind me of the black plague

Around 10,000 tourists visiting California's Yosemite National Park could have been exposed to a deadly virus that kills one in three victims and cannot be treated, officials confirmed.

AFP reported that six cases of the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), a rare lung disease, have been confirmed leaving two people dead and a 'multiple' number of suspected cases of the virus spread by infected rodent droppings being investigated.

According to the BBC, the National Park says it is receiving about 1,000 calls per day from frightened visitors on its Hantavirus hotline.

There is no known cure for the virus and symptoms can take up to six weeks to show with one in three cases fatal.

Carried in rodent faeces, urine and saliva, the virus can be inhaled by humans when it dries out and is mixed with dust. It can also spread when contaminated substances are touched or people are bitten by an infected animal.

Yosemite National Park visitors could have been exposed to deadly virus
edit on 9/2/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

it does not say 1,000 are possibly affected, just that they are receiving 1,000 calls per day, totally different

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

can it pass betwen human to human

Apparently not...

To date, no cases of HPS have been reported in the United States in which the virus was transmitted from one person to another. In fact, in a study of health care workers who were exposed to either patients or specimens infected with related types of hantaviruses (which cause a different disease in humans), none of the workers showed evidence of infection or illness.

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by abeverage

Just sayin.

there is a holiday, when everyone is away from home.....what holiday is this?

Festivus?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Hello. I just got this from the CDC website:

"As of August 30, 2012, The National Park Service (NPS) announced that there were 6 confirmed cases of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) in visitors who stayed at Curry Village in Yosemite National Park since June of this year. Public health officials believe that these visitors may have been exposed to Hantavirus while staying at the Signature Tent Cabins in Curry Village. Two people have died. CDC and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) are working with the National Park Service in responding to the situation.

The park is contacting visitors who stayed in the Signature Tent Cabins from mid-June through the end of August, advising them to seek immediate medical attention if they exhibit symptoms of HPS. Hantavirus is a rare but serious disease and confirmed cases should be reported to CDC via state health departments.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and Yosemite National Park Public Health Service officers are conducting rodent surveys, monitoring deer mouse abundance and virus activity in the parks mouse populations. They are also providing health education and prevention messages to the public.

The Yosemite National Park has a non-emergency phone line (209-372-0822) for all questions and concerns related to Hantavirus in Yosemite National Park. Furthermore, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a hotline number (404-639-1510) and information about HPS on their Hantavirus website.

Here is the link:

www.cdc.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink">CDC Yosemite National Park Outbreak

top topics

join