It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by RedParrotHead

... "they said we will be fired", it says"they feared for jobs" two very different things, i fear alot of things, but until you jump out that plane or tell your boss no! i will not do that, then you will never know huh?

... only anti social morons pass up free bbq.... or maybe people who live more than an hour away huh?

... they should apreciate me for keeping them in a job huh?

1. Yeah right, how many workers keep their jobs by telling the boss "no" ... especially in an industry with the reputation and history that coal mining has?

2. Yes, only anti-social morons make it a point (and seem proud) to avoid company events. I live over an hour away from my company events and go to them all (3 times a year). I also take my wife and 3 kids as well.

3. Yes, they should appreciative you and everyone else that supports their means of income, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they do.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CalebRight14

Originally posted by Indigo5

It is not that it is a BAD photoshop....The Picture has been photoshopped to show Obama with a cigerette.

It is a Lie...and folks that start thier argument with intentionally hoaxing and lieing don't deserve to be listened to.

Oh, So Democrats don't do that? with saying Paul Ryan wants to push granny off a cliff? Or republicans want dirty air and water? Take your hypocrisy and eat it.

This thinking always amazes me...

Every thief...every liar...every crook...rationalizes to themselves..."Everybody does it, so it is OK"

Wether the Democrats lie when they say X or Y? Not as important as the fact that you believe they do...and thus in your world, the guy down the street that you think is a crook or a criminal? He is your moral touchstone??? Your standard??

"Principles only mean something when you stick to them when its inconvenient."

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by pteridine

So you mean to tell us that coal is harmless?

Do you do PR for a mining firm or something?

Do you mean to say that there is an energy source that has no environmental consequences? Do you do PR for the Sierra Club or the Green Party?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Sad story. Being forced to attend a political rally with the threat of losing your livelihood as leverage. Despicable. The managers seem not to care about anything but their own points of view. What if a miner never attends political functions? Too bad, get your body there or get a new job. What if a miner is a democrat? Too bad, get your body over there or get a new job. What if -- God forbid -- a miner hates what Romney stands for? Too bad, get your body over there or get a new job. That sounds like blackmail.

I dislike Romney. Very Much. However, unless I missed something, I didn't see any evidence that Romney was involved with this. He may very well have been. Unfortunately, without evidence a great many people would never believe it.

reply to post by TXRabbit

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Not sure what they're complaining about. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must be a coal miner. You must join the union. You must miss work when told and attend events when told."

If they don't like it - quit.

Ohh...that's right. They're uneducated imbeciles who don't know HOW to do anything else - far be it from trying to actually Learn something.

Yeah....let's feel sorry for them.

Booo

Hooo

(sorry for the rant. I have nothing against miners specifically. I just can't stand it when people take anything that's totally in their own control and shift accountability when something bad happens).

I love your elitist attitude. It must be nice to be well off enough to not have to worry about the necessities of life. Uneducated imbeciles? I would rather be that than a worm such as you. There are so many variables at play in their lives that you can't recognize. Who are you to tell them to go and learn something? Maybe they like their job, maybe they like where they live, maybe some are incapable of advanced learning. God forbid when people don't measure up to your standards. Develop some empathy.

Why don't they just quit? Let me ask you something...You have a job. When you are hired you are told what your responsibilities are. Attending political rallies is not one of them. Would you just up and quit your job over something that is not part of your responsibilities?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We live in a China 1 party, Soviet Union Gulag, Nazi Germany gestapo state.

SERIOUSLY.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
It is apparent that you have never been in an underground coal mine. It would take you a while to learn how to do things without getting yourself or your shiftmates killed. You should try going down a coal mine some time and see what miners do just so that you can plug in your hair dryer whenever you want. These folks are working to survive and can't quit or their families will suffer. Maybe someday when you are done with school and have actual responsibilities you will land a job. When you have abusive bosses that force you to lose work, you can quit so nobody will Booo Hooo for you....just your wife and hungry kids you can't feed.

You are 100% correct my friend. I have never been in an underground coal mine nor do I have plans to visit one anytime soon. I decided in my early 20's that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life coming home from long hours and having to wash grime off of my hands before eating dinner with my family, so I decided to pick up some books, learn some skills in current-trending careers and take it upon myself to improve my quality of life.

I didn't finish college. I have a GED from high school and currently work in a technology field making close to 6 figures a year with a huge house, a wonderful family, 3 cars and nobody telling me I have to donate to campaigns or attend rallies.

So yes - I do have responsibilities and yes, I have landed a job. I don't use a hairdryer but if powering my wife's becomes a concern, I'll take it upon myself to create a solution.

Coal is soooo 1920's anyway..

I am happy that you have a job and are wildly successful. Certainly you did it all on your own and bootstrapped yourself out of poverty. You are so valuable that your company will never lay you off or ship your job elsewhere. Those folks in Appalachia should do it too, right? Maybe their circumstances are a little different than yours. You should go visit a mine sometime, even a Texas lignite mine, to see what others do and learn to apprecate their work....and be glad you don't have to do it. Calling them names and ridiculing them may be a reflection of how you are treated, so I understand your bigotry.

Coal will continue to provide a significant fraction of low-cost electric power to the North American grid for the next 30 to 50 years. As power generation drives gas prices to the $4-5/MMBTU necessary to make production worthwhile, coal will again have a large cost advantage. The GNP of any country is dependent on low cost power and coal provides that power. The idiots at the EPA who think that CO2 is a toxic gas and must be controlled will have to regulate all sources, including natural gas combustors, cement kilns, and automobiles. They will also have a tough time breathing unless they want to break their own regulations. I think that they should adhere to the letter of the law and not exhale.

Coal powered IGCC is sooo 2040's anyway.
edit on 8/31/2012 by pteridine because: syntax

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Not sure what they're complaining about. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must be a coal miner. You must join the union. You must miss work when told and attend events when told."

Ohh...that's right. They're uneducated imbeciles who don't know HOW to do anything else - far be it from trying to actually Learn something.

Booo

Hooo

(sorry for the rant. I have nothing against miners specifically. I just can't stand it when people take anything that's totally in their own control and shift accountability when something bad happens).

This is legitimately one of the single most ignorant statements i have ever seen on the internet. Considering the vast amount of stupidity people post on the internet, that's quite a statement.

I live in the area where this took place. To say that job options are limited is a SEVERE understatement. To say that this area is economically depressed is just as much of an understatement. It's a rural area, there isn't much around here. Coal mining is the single best job option available here. It's basically either coal mine, or some dead end job such as fast food. And don't say something equally stupid like "if they don't like it they should move." It costs money to move. Many people have no other choice but to live here, they simply can't afford to move elsewhere.
So to say "if they don't like it, they should quit" is the absolute height of ignorance.
Yes, it makes more sense for them to quit what is possibly the best-paying job in the area then it does for, i don't know, their boss to NOT threaten that their jobs would be in jeopardy if they didn't attend a political rally. That makes perfect sense.
Let's not blame the boss who is threatening their jobs, let's blame the employees who are trying to make a living in an area with a very limited amount of jobs.

Anyways....my friend is related to the guy that manages this mine. He is an a**hole. Just thought i would share that.
edit on 1-9-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
pathetic willard mitthew romney, nobody cares about him so he and his campaign are forced to STAGE everything, even the RNC.

remember the homemade signs that looked like they were drawn by children being passed out at a romney rally and collected by the campaign afterwards to be re-used? disgusting and un-american.

Are you going to ALLOW romney to BUY this election???

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Goes to show what kind of country America has become.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Booo

Hooo

These people have bills to pay you idiot. Responsible people cant always just quit their job because they are forced to do something they disagree with. Personally I would love to quit my job and spend the time appreciating the things I appreciate in life but the kids have to eat and I do what I must to help pave the way for a better life for them. When you become a real man you will understand.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Romney's the prime example of crony capitalism...only morons would vote for that corporate sock puppet.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Coal Workers Say Murray Energy ‘Coerces’ Them To Make GOP Donations: ‘If You Don’t Contribute, Your Job’s At Stake’
(thinkprogress.org)

The New Republic - Coal Miner’s Donor
(tnr.com)

An expose from New Republic Senior Editor Alec MacGillis shows that Murray Energy is doing far more than requiring employees to spend uncompensated time at campaign events — the company is actually requiring them to donate to GOP candidates like Romney:

The accounts of two sources who have worked in managerial positions at the firm, and a review of letters and memos to Murray employees, suggest that coercion may also explain Murray staffers’ financial support for Romney. Murray, it turns out, has for years pressured salaried employees to give to the Murray Energy political action committee (PAC) and to Republican candidates chosen by the company . Internal documents show that company officials track who is and is not giving. The sources say that those who do not give are at risk of being demoted or missing out on bonuses , claims Murray denies.

The Murray sources, who requested anonymity for fear of retribution, came forward separately. But they painted similar pictures of the fund-raising operation. “There’s a lot of coercion,” says one of them. “I just wanted to work, but you feel this constant pressure that, if you don’t contribute, your job’s at stake. You’re compelled to do this whether you want to or not.” Says the second: “They will give you a call if you’re not giving. . . . It’s expected you give Mr. Murray what he asks for.”

Murray; 2012 letter to employees:

“We have been insulted by every salaried employee who does not support our efforts,”

Murray; 2011 letter to employees:

“Please see that our salaried employees ‘step up,’ for their own sakes and those of their employees.”

We will tell you who to vote for, we will tell you who to contribute to, you will 'step up' - for your own sake.

What was the point of the American Revolution, if all we did was end back up as serfs under a new oligarchy?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider
I'd blame the unions.
That's the only reason they don't have a voice.

Yeah, blame the union, not the company and its CEO which forced them to do it. You're well named.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Still waiting for proof of this......

where are these letters...etc...or is this one liberal coal miner spouting off?

Or an example of more Union bullying, but because they are now bullying for the other side it makes the news??

Now many of the mine's workers are saying they were forced to give up a day's worth of pay to attend the event, and they feared they might be fired if they didn’t, according to local news radio WWVA. The claims have been mostly denied by Rob Moore, Chief Financial Officer of Murray Energy Company, which owns the mine. He acknowledges that workers weren’t paid that day but says no one was made to attend the event. Well, kind of. "Our managers communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend," he told local news radio WWVA, which has received several emails from workers claiming that the company records names of workers that don't attend those types of events.

Romney rally was mandatory for miners

Don't believe it, then check with the radio station. Sorry, but "I don't believe it until I see proof" doesn't cut it. Bet you believe everything Limbaugh and FAUX News says. We get it: anything claimed, which you believe, you accept; anything stated that doesn't jive with your world view, you demand proof of. DOUBLE STANDARD.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Booo Hooo

You, sir and/or madame, have authored the most offensive and ridiculous quote I have ever read here at ATS -- and that's saying something.

People are just supposed to quit their jobs when they are compelled to do something that is not in their job description and/or unethical/unfair? Just quit and get another job, huh? Never mind that the economy is bad or that it would likely mean the worker and family would have to relocate. I seriously wonder if you have ever had a job. Your comment seems like extreme trolling; I hope that is all it is, because you are serious, then you really have problems.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
"These ads state that we were forced to attend this rally, and that is blatantly false."

- Mitch MIracle, worker at Century mine

Coal miners in southeastern Ohio are blasting an ad from President Obama that claims they were forced to "be props in (Mitt) Romney's commercial."

Romney appeared at an Aug. 15 event in Belmont County surrounded by 500 coal miners, and claimed that unnecessary regulation by the Obama administration's Environmental Protection Agency amounts to a "war on coal," and has helped put thousands of miners' jobs in jeopardy. The Obama campaign countered with an ad charging the miners were forced to attend the Romney rally, and that they lost a day's pay.

That ad followed a mining company official's acknowledgement that workers were told attendance was "mandatory" -- though he claimed they weren't really "forced" to attend.

"These ads state that we were forced to attend this rally, and that is blatantly false."

- Mitch MIracle, worker at Century mine

A group of 500 miners has now penned a letter and released a video insisting that no one was forced to attend the rally and demanding that the Obama campaign disavow the ad. The workers at Century mine, in Beallsville, Ohio, which is operated by Murray Energy subsidiary American Energy Century, said they "voluntarily and enthusiastically" attended the event.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

well somebodies lying.
edit on 013131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join