It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It just takes a little fact checking. Those miners are from the Century Mine in Ohio which is non-union. The Powhatan mine is the only mine in Ohio that is unionized. There is no way a union mine would force it's workers to stand behind Romney for no pay. There would be ice cubes in hell before that happens. So for any of the posters saying the union forced them to do it or the union is threatening their jobs is out of their mind.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Excellent! The sheep are getting worked up and emotional! Let them ignore the fact that they only have two choices for "President".

Yes good let the distraction flow through you! You do not like hotdogs so your only other choice is a hamburger. Ignore that delicious looking pizza! Pretend there is no Fajitas over there!

The only food you fools will eat by voting is the gigantic turd when they stand up on the table, drop their pants and drop a Stanley steamer sized deuce on your plate.

Just because everyone around you is gobbling up that log and trying to tell you how delicious it tastes, you know in your heart that it is still crap.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jzenman

As you pointed out they are not union (but should unionize immediately IMO. Things will only get worse if they don't).

Of course if they unionize they need to be wary if the union they are opting in is pro-mgmt or have any verbage that would be pro-mgmt. If they do unionize they should take the final contract to an independent labor lawyer who can translate the legalese into plain language so that all who vote in/out said union know what contract (if any) that the union has negotiated actually means (especially any loopholes therein circumventing/negating the intent of the contract).

All in all, in a righteous perfect world they should all strike immediately, regardless of non-unionship. Hit the mine in the pocket book. !@#$ goes both ways and the miners aren't exercising their power. But then again their families are being held hostage so...

That's pretty much what politics and economy boils down to. A war of attrition with our families at stake. Are you willing to sacrifice your life and family for justice?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
On the positive side, I suppose if this happens often enough more Democrat law makers will wake up to the fact that ever state should be a right to work state and the unions should be broken.

What???????

If you do not want to join a union, do not join a union. Why the hell should I lose that option? I am really sick of you anti-freedom and anti-choice Republicans trying to tell people like me that we should not even be allowed to have a union because it bothers you for some reason.

How anti-American of you.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by viking43
These pics are not at the " FACE" where the coal is being mined,yes they limestone mined areas but it is imposable to cover all areas,you would need 100 men on each crew.
Pa mines Appalachian Mts,most are only a 38 inch coal seam not like these cozy candy ass pics you are showing,most rock dusting [limestone] was done on the weekends.I don't believe for 1 second you were a coal miner but I'll not debate that,it would be a benefit to you and whoever reads this thread to know the coal mine is not what you described and I'm not talking 1947,You are an insult to miners everywhere..nuff said.

That is awesome.
Those are not my pics.
I was questioning the veracity of their being proof that coal mines are all clean and pretty.
It says so in the post of mine that you quoted.
Your problem is with the person that posted the pics and wrote the original statement about them.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Endorra

Originally posted by viking43
These pics are not at the " FACE" where the coal is being mined,yes they limestone mined areas but it is imposable to cover all areas,you would need 100 men on each crew.
Pa mines Appalachian Mts,most are only a 38 inch coal seam not like these cozy candy ass pics you are showing,most rock dusting [limestone] was done on the weekends.I don't believe for 1 second you were a coal miner but I'll not debate that,it would be a benefit to you and whoever reads this thread to know the coal mine is not what you described and I'm not talking 1947,You are an insult to miners everywhere..nuff said.

above comment ^ ^ ^ meant for "Chrisfishenstein"

That is awesome.
Those are not my pics.
I was questioning the veracity of their being proof that coal mines are all clean and pretty.
It says so in the post of mine that you quoted.
Your problem is with the person that posted the pics and wrote the original statement about them.

As some mentioned earlier About unions,South Western Pa no longer have unions.all UMWA
mines have been taken over by non-union.Non union is do as I say ,not as I do. .workers no longer have representation . Endorra sorry it was on your quote,wasn't paying attention when I saw the pics I got super pissed.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CalebRight14

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by jimmyx

Coal miners and teachers different story entirely. Obama has blatantly attacked the coal mining industry. Here it is in his own words.

The fact that the Vid starts with the worst photoshop job in history tells me all need to know about it's veracity.

I would be careful with this line of thinking. Just because whoever made the video sucked at Photoshop, does not mean his intent to get the truth about Obama's statement is a fake video.

It is not that it is a BAD photoshop....The Picture has been photoshopped to show Obama with a cigerette.

It is a Lie...and folks that start thier argument with intentionally hoaxing and lieing don't deserve to be listened to.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Never understood the anti-Obama crowd's insistence on photoshopping images of Obama smoking and using it to paint him in a negative light.

For a complete rundown on everything Obama has said about Coal, and his positions/votes regarding coal see here:

Barack Obama statements on coal
(sourcewatch.org)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Who's country is this anyway? Starting to look like Germany...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
First, to those who are saying coal miners are stupid, I noticed none of you mentioned what your occupation
is.

Second, not all coal is used for electricity, some still gets used in the steel-making process, so alternate
energy may be the way to go, but coal will still be needed to make the windmills and the trucks that haul
the pieces.

As far as the miners not getting paid, if they have a good boss, he'll make the time up by paying his guys
a 1/2 hour here and there until they get paid more hours than the event went on for.

If the workers have a "company man" for a boss, they'll make him pay by slowing down and not producing
the footage, making the boss take air and gas readings more than he has to, and not being around when
the foreman needs help.

The hourly workers could call MSHA's 1-800 number hotline also, but not until they have the proof on their
paystub. Only problem that could occur is that Century Mine is a 24/7 operation, so the ones that weren't
scheduled to work, would have to show that it wasn't regular hours. (Most mines don't use a written
schedule, or time cards).

Centruy Mine employs 476 people, it shouldn't
have been hard to get enough volunteers to make it seem like everyone was there for the photos.

If the employees were threatened with termination for not attending, it wasn't just the paycheck they were
worried about losing, also the benefits, which most miners get:
1) Free 90/10 health insurance, with a 10 or 20 dollar copay
2) 1600-2000 dollar dental per person ,per year, with 2 free cleanings
3) Free generic scripts, 10-20 dollars for the rest
4) Company matched 401
5) 2-4 weeks paid vacation
6) Free chest x-ray and hearing test yearly by NIOSH
7) Free uniforms (sometimes a pair of boots once a year also)
8) Safety, production, and violation reduction bonuses

and more than likely, the mines are the best paying job around, as goes the saying: "Where else can a
a$$ed hillbilly make this much money".

Yes, I am a West Virginia coal miner, have been for 15 years, so for the haters, go ahead put me out of
a job so the tax payers have to pay me to go to school to learn a new trade, food stamps, free school
lunches for the kids, heating assistance, and all the other unemployment stuff, I can use the break....
but what your answer for the guys who are in their 50's who haven't done anything else; even after job
training what company is going to hire someone at their age just starting out?

for the member that says they worked 8 years and never came out covered in soot-
either you never worked at the face,never worked in low coal, or were never underground.
I'm currently working in a seam height of 48-60 inches ans come out covered every day, and when I
worked at 40" it was coal black.

Anyhow, you all have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Yahm16

Thank you for your reply;

If the employees were threatened with termination for not attending, it wasn't just the paycheck they were
worried about losing, also the benefits, which most miners get:
1) Free 90/10 health insurance, with a 10 or 20 dollar copay
2) 1600-2000 dollar dental per person ,per year, with 2 free cleanings
3) Free generic scripts, 10-20 dollars for the rest
4) Company matched 401
5) 2-4 weeks paid vacation
6) Free chest x-ray and hearing test yearly by NIOSH
7) Free uniforms (sometimes a pair of boots once a year also)
8) Safety, production, and violation reduction bonuses

One bone of contention - your health insurance, chest x-rays, scripts, uniforms, etc., are not free - they are part of your compensation package the company pays you for the work you do. Would you still work in that job, if your employer didn't provide those for you? If your employer didn't provide those "freebies" would you expect your employer to pay you more hourly, to allow you to purchase those items on your own? Things like insurance coverage, vacation time, safety items, even your employer-paid portion of your social security, are part of your total compensation package in return for your employment.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
They don't look very happy lol

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Knew something was very odd about this staged event. A group of coal miners acting as a backdrop for a Romney campaign stop, and yes, they are standing their with coal-smeared grimy faces and overalls even though they didn't work that day...
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

There is a very good reason for some of those guys having grimy faces. They left work to go to the event. I know this cause I use to be on third shift. Yes I work in the coal mines. First shift now....yayyy!....still a hard job though.

Forced to go to with no pay? I would say that is not true. With my job if you have to be somewhere for the company you get paid. In a few weeks the company I work for is having a "change of benefits party" which they would like us to attend to learn about how our premium will double, starting next year, and the coverage will not be as good. We do not get paid to go to this event, but it is not mandatory. I will go for the sake of making derogatory comments to try and make them feel bad for doing this, even though it will change nothing. It may make for a funny story with my coworkers though.

This is the direction the GOP wants to take labor - to make us so thankful to even have a job, we will do anything, even work a day for free with little notice and without your consent - or lose your job.

Not all bosses are bad. I actually made friends with a few of them at work. One thing I learned whilst questioning one was that it is very hard to get fired. Now some bosses may threaten to fire for this or that, but that is just their way to try and get what they need done, done. Most Coalminers with vote for Romney because Obama is not for coal. I know one guy at work that will vote for Obama. He is loyal to his party. Everyone else I know will vote for Romney, but they are democrats also. Just for the sake of keeping their job. After all in this economy who isn't lucky to have a good job that they can actually support their family with.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why Obama is against coal, and change does need to happen for the sake of the future, but when it comes right down to it, if you try to take away a man's ability to support his family your going to have a fight on your hands. It's like a catch 22.

I personally don't care which candidate wins, because when the smoke and hype clear it is always the working class who loses.

Thx OP for the post and I hope my humble insight may add worth to you thread.

edit on 30-8-2012 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnClilly
Maybe they should start their OWN coal mine and.... work their butts off... deal with the IRS... deal with the unions... deal with the environmentalists.
Its not their company! they didn't build it... Someone else built it... and those guys make the rules

They should send their boss thank you cards just for letting them work in HIS coal mine a few days a week.

Who is John Galt....

edit on 29-8-2012 by JohnClilly because: spelling

Thats the smartest thing I have heard in a while, why, they could all get 8 dollar an hour jobs, pool their money, and maybe in 3 or 4 thousand years they would have enough money for the land, licenses, mining equipment, etc.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

First, to those who are saying coal miners are stupid, I noticed none of you mentioned what your occupation is.
reply to post by Yahm16

lol. I hear ya.

If the employees were threatened with termination for not attending, it wasn't just the paycheck they were worried about losing, also the benefits, which most miners get: 1) Free 90/10 health insurance, with a 10 or 20 dollar copay 2) 1600-2000 dollar dental per person ,per year, with 2 free cleanings 3) Free generic scripts, 10-20 dollars for the rest 4) Company matched 401 5) 2-4 weeks paid vacation 6) Free chest x-ray and hearing test yearly by NIOSH 7) Free uniforms (sometimes a pair of boots once a year also) 8) Safety, production, and violation reduction bonuses

Our insurance is going to cost us between 250 to 300 dollars a month starting next year. We are paying 150 dollars a month for it now. Go Alpha! lol. It did use to be free though.
Everything else is about the same except the bonuses. They are going to do away with them soon is the feeling most of us get.

Yes, I am a West Virginia coal miner, have been for 15 years, so for the haters, go ahead put me out of a job so the tax payers have to pay me to go to school to learn a new trade, food stamps, free school lunches for the kids, heating assistance, and all the other unemployment stuff, I can use the break.... but what your answer for the guys who are in their 50's who haven't done anything else; even after job training what company is going to hire someone at their age just starting out?

Go Mountaineers!! I could use a break too.

for the member that says they worked 8 years and never came out covered in soot- either you never worked at the face,never worked in low coal, or were never underground. I'm currently working in a seam height of 48-60 inches ans come out covered every day, and when I worked at 40" it was coal black. Anyhow, you all have a nice day.

lol. That is true. Section ventilation. 5ft to 13ft. Nothing real low though...whew....I would quit.

You have a good day to Yahm16..and be careful.
edit on 30-8-2012 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Endorra

I bet these folks will change their tune if Romney shows up at their place of work and their boss forces them to stand in front of him and take it up the ass.

A lot of anti-union people come from workplaces that could sorely benefit from union representation. It's the management that keeps them in fear of their jobs, hence preventing an union.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalebRight14

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by jimmyx

Coal miners and teachers different story entirely. Obama has blatantly attacked the coal mining industry. Here it is in his own words.

The fact that the Vid starts with the worst photoshop job in history tells me all need to know about it's veracity.

I would be careful with this line of thinking. Just because whoever made the video sucked at Photoshop, does not mean his intent to get the truth about Obama's statement is a fake video.

It is not that it is a BAD photoshop....The Picture has been photoshopped to show Obama with a cigerette.

It is a Lie...and folks that start thier argument with intentionally hoaxing and lieing don't deserve to be listened to.

Oh, So Democrats don't do that? with saying Paul Ryan wants to push granny off a cliff? Or republicans want dirty air and water? Take your hypocrisy and eat it.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

This smacks of BS. Ohio is still a union state not a right to work state, if this story was true the union would be all over this along with every Demoncrap harping in on the story.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

The Century mine workers are not unionized. You can call it whatever you want, but you can't make up your own facts.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by highvein

From what I read, the mine wasn't open that day, so no miners were just coming from it. Them standing there was just window dressing to make Romney look good. They didn't get paid because the CFO closed the mine, and he said: we don't pay workers when the mines closed.

Romney's a tool, the workers were fooled, and the CFO and CEO of the mine are cretins. Everyone loses.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join