It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ah, the good 'ol unforced mandatory.

Happens at workplaces everywhere everyday.

I remember my last union shop job. All my dues funneled to support anti-gun democrats.
"Mandatory" gatherings and rallies.

But that was all good stuff and not at all newsworthy.

This though, this is newsworthy.

Pardon my confusion but isnt any time a body of people is experiencing extortion and threatened with punishment or termination into offering support material or otherwise to some other individual or group newsworthy?

It's bull# now and its bull# at every workplace. It needs to stop.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Still waiting for proof of this......

where are these letters...etc...or is this one liberal coal miner spouting off?

Or an example of more Union bullying, but because they are now bullying for the other side it makes the news??

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
I was ready to call BS on this story - but after reading it in full I think the company was basically telling the workers they had to be there, unpaid, for the good of the industry.

Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob Moore told Blomquist that the charges were untrue. "We had managers that communicated to our work force that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend the event..."

Wait, what? Did they have to attend or not?

“But why not still pay then their wage for that day?” Blomquist pressed.

“By federal election law, we could not pay people to attend the event,” Moore replied. “And we did not want anyone to come back and see where anyone had been paid for that day.”

“I’m not saying pay then to attend the event, I’m saying, ‘Hey look, we have to close down the mine, if you want to attend this event, that’s fine, but you’re still going to get a day’s pay for the work that you would have done,’” Blomquist pointed out. “Why not do that?”

“As a private employer, it was our decision and we made the decision not to pay the people,” the Murray chief financial officer said.

that's some BS right there
edit on 8/28/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

Wow, that's some insanity going on there.

You will support the party, you will obey the party, your life belongs to the party.

If I were those miners I'd be looking at the legal possibility of suing right now. They have no right to be demanding that their staff do anything like this, do they work for a company or a freakin' cult?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by TheGreatDivider

What are you talking about?

If these miners had an union, the company could not force them to vote for a candidate nor stage a fake rally in support of one.

I fail to see the logic in blaming unions.

Republicans LOVE to blame the unions, it's like the Tories in the UK, they know that Unions give people the power rather than their corporate buddies. It's almost like a tic these days, the moment you say anything about workers and their rights a conservative will be along at any moment to chirp "UNIONS!"

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
They should've written the reason for their appearance on their bellies and pull their shirts up during his speech. That would've been hilarious!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Hey I believe you... it has been a while since I've been there.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
No union was involved in this, the company forced them to attend this rally and donate, and couldn't even pay them their day's wages for it!

The mine was closed by the company that day so these miners could be forced to go to that rally - so why are the miners all in their dirty uniforms and still covered in dirt and soot? Hilarious, LOL.

On a side note; coal is a dying industry. Most big electric utilities have been mmoving away from coal for 2 decades. Too expensive to mine, too expensive to ship. Most utilities are switching to natural gas and nuclear energy. Much cleaner, much cheaper. Natural gas has been supplanting coal by the widest margin.

Anyone thinking Obama or Dems are 'killing coal' are ignoring the bigger picture - simple economics are what's killing coal, and good riddance to it, too.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If this ever happened to me I'd contact a lawyer and sue. Plus I'd keep any memos sent to me as proof.

Forcing your employees to support your political opinions is bullcrap no matter which way you put it. Nobody has the right to force employees to do this.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Phot: Nothing says "I believe in coal than unpaid miners forced to wear blackface on a day off"

"Coal Country Stands With Mitt Romney"....Or else you will lose your job, be evicted from your home and your children will go hungry...

Well..I guess they couldn't fit all of that on the sign...

It's just so effen Midevil...Lords and serfs...fight for me or we will drive you from your home and lands, your children will starve...

Some days tact fails me...just ef Mitt Romney...I hope after he loses the election a crowd of teenagers knock him down and cut his hair off...all in good fun.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

do you really believe that if they had signs, that they would have been allowed? of course not/ would have been taken from them. and why no on camera protest? these people were afraid for their jobs.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well it would seem counterproductive to lend support to this campaign:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate
(rawstory.com)

A group of coal miners in Ohio feel they would have been fired if they did not attend an Aug. 14 event with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and contribute to his campaign — and to make matters worse, they lost of day of pay for their trouble.

In phone calls and emails to WWVA radio host David Blomquist, employees at the Century Mine in Ohio said they feared retaliation if they did not attend the Romney event.

“Yes, we were in fact told that the Romney event was mandatory and would be without pay, that the hours spent there would need to be made up my non-salaried employees outside of regular working hours, with the only other option being to take a pay cut for the equivalent time,” the employees told Blomquist. “Yes, letters have gone around with lists of names of employees who have not attended or donated to political events.”

“I realize that many people in this area and elsewhere would love to have my job or my benefits,” one worker explained. “And our bosses do not hesitate in reminding us of this. However, I can not agree with these callers and my supervisors, who are saying that just because you have a good job, that you should have to work any day for free on almost no notice without your consent.”

Knew something was very odd about this staged event. A group of coal miners acting as a backdrop for a Romney campaign stop, and yes, they are standing their with coal-smeared grimy faces and overalls even though they didn't work that day...

One quote really stands out:

“I realize that many people in this area and elsewhere would love to have my job or my benefits,” one worker explained. “And our bosses do not hesitate in reminding us of this. However, I can not agree with these callers and my supervisors, who are saying that just because you have a good job, that you should have to work any day for free on almost no notice without your consent.”

This is the direction the GOP wants to take labor - to make us so thankful to even have a job, we will do anything, even work a day for free with little notice and without your consent - or lose your job.

Phot: Nothing says "I believe in coal than unpaid miners forced to wear blackface on a day off"

At the time, conservative blogs and websites like The Daily Caller, The Gateway Pundit and Townhall trumpeted the fact that “hundreds of Ohio coal miners attended” the event. Even though the mine was closed on Aug. 14, soot-covered miners were staged behind the GOP hopeful as he spoke.

Ohio Coal Miners Lose Pay, Forced to Attend Romney Rally

Romney's coal mine speech is questioned
edit on 28-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

At the time, conservative blogs and websites like The Daily Caller, The Gateway Pundit and Townhall trumpeted the fact that “hundreds of Ohio coal miners attended” the event. Even though the mine was closed on Aug. 14, soot-covered miners were staged behind the GOP hopeful as he spoke.

Ya....they look real dirty in the picture !!!!

“But why not still pay then their wage for that day?” Blomquist pressed.

“By federal election law, we could not pay people to attend the event,” Moore replied. “And we did not want anyone to come back and see where anyone had been paid for that day.”
Hmmmm

“There were no workers that were forced to attend the event,” Moore said. “We had managers that communicated to our work force that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend the event. We had a pre-registration list. And employees were asked to put their names on a pre-registration list because they could not get into the event unless they were pre-registered and had a name tag to enter the premises.”
Sounds like the MANAGERS got rambunctious .. not the owners

Just the same though, it does seem like a "force" -- "or else" deal.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne

do you really believe that if they had signs, that they would have been allowed? of course not/ would have been taken from them. and why no on camera protest? these people were afraid for their jobs.

Well, I would not have meant signs on posts, of course they would not be allowed there, let alone in shot. They could have written a few simple words on paper with a marker, concealed around their midriff. As Romney got into his performance, they could have pulled them out.

We don't often get a chance to address the viewers, this could have been a great one.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
this could easily be any of us. we're all enslaved in a very very real sense, but until YOUR employer infringes upon you in this manner, its easy to pretend you're a free person. a lot of you will say "no way, if that were me i'd tell them where to go" etc. ok sure. then you get summarily dismissed. maybe your employer will have to trump up some kind of infraction to make your firing appear "legal" or "justified" but that all too easy to do. then you can file your wrongful termination lawsuit from the back alley where you and your children will be living just a short time later. these guys did the only thing they could do, because they are slaves.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
unions

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Yeah, I'm not buying it. So are all the workers and soldiers that stand behind obama for his photo ops are they all there willingly? Highly doubtful.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Someone always gets suckered into this stuff...remember when they were passing Obamacare and they supplied all the white coats for the doctors for effect...this is all crap and they do what they can to fool us...seriously do you believe any side as to be honest...they are all after the same however they may be taking a slightly different root to get there..

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
One question.
If they were so scared of losing their job, why are they so brave to say it now?
Will they tell the truth if there is an investigation? Is this true or propaganda?
Okay more like 3 questions.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Sure, that could have worked, but would still have cost the worker their job.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

we don't have any rights any more. The republicans hated the unions and have done everything in their power to destroy them with the help of corrupt union leaders.

Welcome to the new america were people have no rights and no one to fight for them!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
We Ron Paul supporters are not surprised by this, or anything the GOP does at this point.

They are the Heads to the Democrat Tails. Same coin - it just depends on which side it lands on every 4 years.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join