It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate
(rawstory.com)

A group of coal miners in Ohio feel they would have been fired if they did not attend an Aug. 14 event with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and contribute to his campaign — and to make matters worse, they lost of day of pay for their trouble.

In phone calls and emails to WWVA radio host David Blomquist, employees at the Century Mine in Ohio said they feared retaliation if they did not attend the Romney event.

“Yes, we were in fact told that the Romney event was mandatory and would be without pay, that the hours spent there would need to be made up my non-salaried employees outside of regular working hours, with the only other option being to take a pay cut for the equivalent time,” the employees told Blomquist. “Yes, letters have gone around with lists of names of employees who have not attended or donated to political events.”

“I realize that many people in this area and elsewhere would love to have my job or my benefits,” one worker explained. “And our bosses do not hesitate in reminding us of this. However, I can not agree with these callers and my supervisors, who are saying that just because you have a good job, that you should have to work any day for free on almost no notice without your consent.”

Knew something was very odd about this staged event. A group of coal miners acting as a backdrop for a Romney campaign stop, and yes, they are standing their with coal-smeared grimy faces and overalls even though they didn't work that day...

One quote really stands out:

“I realize that many people in this area and elsewhere would love to have my job or my benefits,” one worker explained. “And our bosses do not hesitate in reminding us of this. However, I can not agree with these callers and my supervisors, who are saying that just because you have a good job, that you should have to work any day for free on almost no notice without your consent.”

This is the direction the GOP wants to take labor - to make us so thankful to even have a job, we will do anything, even work a day for free with little notice and without your consent - or lose your job.

Phot: Nothing says "I believe in coal than unpaid miners forced to wear blackface on a day off"

At the time, conservative blogs and websites like The Daily Caller, The Gateway Pundit and Townhall trumpeted the fact that “hundreds of Ohio coal miners attended” the event. Even though the mine was closed on Aug. 14, soot-covered miners were staged behind the GOP hopeful as he spoke.

Ohio Coal Miners Lose Pay, Forced to Attend Romney Rally

Romney's coal mine speech is questioned
edit on 28-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'd blame the unions.
That's the only reason they don't have a voice.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

These politicians make me sick! Reminds me of Harry Reed bussing in people in Nevada.......

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There is a place for political shenanigans, then there is going too far. This, is too far.

If I were one of the workers I'd be going nuts, on the one hand I'd like to tell my boss he can go Eff himself and shove the job somewhere unpleasant. But on the other hand, in this economy there would be no way I'd be able to do that.

"Smile... The Party has made your decision for you and you couldn't be happier!"

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This rally stunt was offensive on two levels. The first was the absurdity of the miners, covered in soot, arranged behind Romney. Did they just crawl out of a mine? If anything, it just looked comical.

The second is a little more serious. Where were their rights? Forced to attend a rally by their employer, and not paid for it. Obviously, we used to have unions to protect against these sorts of abuses. But that was then. Circulating memos that named those miners who refused to partake is disgusting.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
How many those guys do you think will not vote for Romney just based on principle. These guys know what's up. They won't vote for a guy born with a platinum spoon in his mouth.

By the way, Romney never mentioned that under Obama coal production has substantially increased compared to Bush, along with oil, natural gas AND wind power.

Facts are stubborn things.Motley Fool article

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Still waiting for proof of this......

where are these letters...etc...or is this one liberal coal miner spouting off?

Or an example of more Union bullying, but because they are now bullying for the other side it makes the news??

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Ya well, I worked for a cable company for about a decade and was forced to join the IBEW. We were told what charities to donate to, etc......

Why does this surprise anyone? All unions have an agenda, and it isn't the unification of it's contributors.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I was ready to call BS on this story - but after reading it in full I think the company was basically telling the workers they had to be there, unpaid, for the good of the industry.

Murray Energy Chief Financial Officer Rob Moore told Blomquist that the charges were untrue. "We had managers that communicated to our work force that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend the event..."

Wait, what? Did they have to attend or not?

“But why not still pay then their wage for that day?” Blomquist pressed.

“By federal election law, we could not pay people to attend the event,” Moore replied. “And we did not want anyone to come back and see where anyone had been paid for that day.”

“I’m not saying pay then to attend the event, I’m saying, ‘Hey look, we have to close down the mine, if you want to attend this event, that’s fine, but you’re still going to get a day’s pay for the work that you would have done,’” Blomquist pointed out. “Why not do that?”

“As a private employer, it was our decision and we made the decision not to pay the people,” the Murray chief financial officer said.

that's some BS right there
edit on 8/28/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I don't know how many of you have ever been in a coal mine, but I have!!

There is absolutely NO black soot anywhere!! Everywhere in a coal mine is COVERED in limestone, which is non flammable so the mine doesn't explode from a spark.....

You look more like a snowman coming out of a coal mine........There are parts of the mine by the conveyor belts that have a foot or so deep of limestone because of the fans blowing from one end to the other.....To keep the limestone moving to coat everything possible!!!

I had fun in the coal mines, but this is rediculous!!! There is no BLACK soot that you can be covered with......Maybe at the drilling point, but even there, by the time you get back on the rail car and drive 40 minutes plus back to the entrance, you are covered in white again!!!

What a joke!!! This stuff makes me sick.....
........So does ROMNEY!!!

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
"We had managers that communicated to our work force that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend the event..."

Yeah, that's a real doozy of a denial - "It was mandatory but no one was forced to attend..."

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

I don't know how many of you have ever been in a coal mine, but I have!!

There is absolutely NO black soot anywhere!! Everywhere in a coal mine is COVERED in limestone, which is non flammable so the mine doesn't explode from a spark.....

You look more like a snowman coming out of a coal mine........There are parts of the mine by the conveyor belts that have a foot or so deep of limestone because of the fans blowing from one end to the other.....To keep the limestone moving to coat everything possible!!!

I had fun in the coal mines, but this is rediculous!!! There is no BLACK soot that you can be covered with......Maybe at the drilling point, but even there, by the time you get back on the rail car and drive 40 minutes plus back to the entrance, you are covered in white again!!!

What a joke!!! This stuff makes me sick.....
........So does ROMNEY!!!

What??? You obviously have never been in an active/working coal mine. My entire family were coal miners... you get covered in black.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I thought the same thing but if the company reps quotes are accurate, they're pretty damning

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is a most strange situation.

Why didnt the workers make signs stating they were here against their will, this is a live broadcast, they were standing directly behind Romney, they could all have held them up as the cameras were rolling.

Alternatively. One of them could have pushed Romney aside and addressed the cameras directly. Sure there would be some interception. But there would have been a good few seconds, plenty of time to speak, before the hail of bullets.

And even if there were bullets. It would sure make for a greater representation of what these politicians really stand for. (Supposed supporters gunned down on live tv).

Look at Tiananmen Square, one man can make a difference.

If America is truly the bastion of freedom and justice, one would hope, the (protesters) would not be prosecuted. And for the forced day off, how can that be justified. Could they not sue for this.?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatDivider

What are you talking about?

If these miners had an union, the company could not force them to vote for a candidate nor stage a fake rally in support of one.

I fail to see the logic in blaming unions.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yeah maybe in 1947........Times have changed!!!

I worked in the coal mines for 8 years!! There wasn't a speck of black anywhere!!!

This pic might even be from 1947.....YEP limestone covered.....Look even a machine that is being sprayed to cover the walls with limestone!!

This guy surely doesn't look like he is covered in soot......hmmmm......

Anyways......I was there and done that.....moving on even though you won't believe me either way!!
edit on 8/28/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/28/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
This rally stunt was offensive on two levels. The first was the absurdity of the miners, covered in soot, arranged behind Romney. Did they just crawl out of a mine? If anything, it just looked comical.

The second is a little more serious. Where were their rights? Forced to attend a rally by their employer, and not paid for it. Obviously, we used to have unions to protect against these sorts of abuses. But that was then. Circulating memos that named those miners who refused to partake is disgusting.

It used to be called "black balling/yellowlisting" and the Unions worked to get it made "illegal"...now the unions have lost their power due to corruption and the propaganda that "right to work" is a good idea. "Right to work" simply means that your employer can cut you loose for no reason at all and there is nothing you can do about it.

I have family members that were Union miners before the unions got gutted. They were thankful for the safety and "humane" treatment that the unions fought for. Then slowly, that all changed. Reagan gutted the air traffic controllers in the 80's and after that, they steadily lost power and influence.

no one today will do what was done "back in the day". If you ever get bored, look into the Matewan march. Where hundreds of tired and enslaved miners marched from the hills of West virginia to Washington DC to protest for safety and workers rights. The Coal companies hired Pinkerton security and paid off local law enforcement to open fire on them to stop the march. The miners fought back. Our society today is completely incapable of this risk and sacrifice...they might lose their cell phone service.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

If these miners had an union, the company could not force them to vote for a candidate nor stage a fake rally in support of one.

I fail to see the logic in blaming unions.

Unions do indeed lean on their members to vote for their favs.
Link

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Not sure what they're complaining about. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must be a coal miner. You must join the union. You must miss work when told and attend events when told."

If they don't like it - quit.

Ohh...that's right. They're uneducated imbeciles who don't know HOW to do anything else - far be it from trying to actually Learn something.

Yeah....let's feel sorry for them.

Booo

Hooo

(sorry for the rant. I have nothing against miners specifically. I just can't stand it when people take anything that's totally in their own control and shift accountability when something bad happens).

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here’s a full list of Obama’s union endorsements and the dates on which they were announced:
National Education Association (NEA) – July 4, 2011
United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) – October 20, 2011
National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) – November 16, 2011
Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU) – November 17, 2011
Service Employees International Union (SEIU) – November 19, 2011
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) – December 6, 2011
Communications Workers of America (CWA) – February 2, 2012
American Federation of Teachers (AFT) – February 7, 2012
International Association of Machinists (IAM) – February 24, 2012
United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry (UA) – March 1, 2012
United Steel Workers (USW) – March 4, 2012
Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA) – March 8, 2012
AFL-CIO – March 13, 2012

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join