It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India made pill helps drunk drivers beat the booze test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Is it a good or bad thing?

A controversial made-in-India pill which helps drunk drivers pass breath tests by neutralising alcohol has gone on sale in the UK.

UK Police and road safety campaigners have reacted angrily after it emerged that the controversial product, already banned in the US, is being sold on-line.

The pill, called Alcopal costs 20 pounds for a pack of 20, is said to neutralise alcohol in breath samples, the 'Mirror' reported.

LINK
Your thoughts/comments/concerns/opinions/viewpoints please.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I can't say if it is good or bad but I would definitely use it if I though it would save me from a DUI.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It may neutralize it in your breath but this capsule cannot neutralize your stupid drunken behavior.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yeah if they still have a suspicion that you are intoxicated they can pull blood on you. Cool idea though.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
From the linked article

Alcopal, reportedly manufactured in India, is said to lower the absorption of alcohol into the blood, so less is expelled from the lungs and breath tests do not give a true reading.

I'm a little confused by that, would that actually mean that you were less drunk for any given amount of alcohol consumed? If so it wouldn't be tricking the breath test so much as stopping you from getting drunk in the first place?

Personally I try to never drive after even one drink, if I'm going out drinking I leave the car at home.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yeah, i think it would make you less drunk, they already had a pill like that... is calcium something.. i think the brand name was "R U 21" or something, i was drunk to care about it

So i think its not really tricking, it actually makes your body less aborbant.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
great now everyone that gets stopped by police from fri-sun will have a much longer and uncomfortable dui check if it goes on sale here in the us that is

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
the active ingredient is said to be simethicone. That is a over the counter medication for gas, found in all pharmacies around the world. it wasn't invented in india. geeze I smell a hoax. sounds like a load of bull to catch people who drunk drive when their thinking hey I took that pill right. I have a doctor in the family and I asked him about it, He said simethicone is not banned in the united states, duh, the article is lying flatout and misleading people to drink and drive.

edit to add: drugs.com says simethicone can potentiate the effects of alchohol - they interact making u more drunk.
edit on 28-8-2012 by nrd101 because: new info

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
bet a load off a holes run out and buy it i have been caught twice for drinking & driving spent 4 years off the road $2500 in fines & i only had one drink on the second time a police man i know told me that added together it came to a THUMBFULL over the limit on a pint of beer ? as i was a spray painter at the time i should not have been breath tested .
as the paint fumes enter the bloodstream from the airfed lines in a oil yard i know guys that have lost there licence and not even been drinking ?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
still going to be in your blood though so they can still get you

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenny71
Yeah if they still have a suspicion that you are intoxicated they can pull blood on you. Cool idea though.
Is it even legal or allowed? I thought only breath tests were allowed. I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kbriggss
reply to post by hp1229

I can't say if it is good or bad but I would definitely use it if I though it would save me from a DUI.
I guess it would be good occassionally during those parties and/or special holidays but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. As usual, there are always side reactions or consequences from prolonged use of any suppressive drugs
IMO.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
From the linked article

Alcopal, reportedly manufactured in India, is said to lower the absorption of alcohol into the blood, so less is expelled from the lungs and breath tests do not give a true reading.

I'm a little confused by that, would that actually mean that you were less drunk for any given amount of alcohol consumed? If so it wouldn't be tricking the breath test so much as stopping you from getting drunk in the first place?

Personally I try to never drive after even one drink, if I'm going out drinking I leave the car at home.

Basically if not absorbed by the blood then it will remain in your stomach/liver for it to be digested I would assume. I suppose there is a timing requirement as per when to take this pill after drinking or before the breath test. I would assume you have to perhaps wait for a while after you stop drinking and before you start driving and when you get pulled over

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
great now everyone that gets stopped by police from fri-sun will have a much longer and uncomfortable dui check if it goes on sale here in the us that is
It was supposedly banned and is illegal as per the link that I posted.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
the active ingredient is said to be simethicone. That is a over the counter medication for gas, found in all pharmacies around the world. it wasn't invented in india. geeze I smell a hoax. sounds like a load of bull to catch people who drunk drive when their thinking hey I took that pill right. I have a doctor in the family and I asked him about it, He said simethicone is not banned in the united states, duh, the article is lying flatout and misleading people to drink and drive.

edit to add: drugs.com says simethicone can potentiate the effects of alchohol - they interact making u more drunk.
edit on 28-8-2012 by nrd101 because: new info
There is no claim about invention. There is only discussion about the pill 'made' in India. Ofcourse it can be made anywhere in the world depending if its legal or not. I have heard about many other products in the US for 'hangover' recovery.

join