It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Indians or Asians job ad triggers outrage in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This has been a simmering issue down under even though the action originated from a single individual.

A contractor of Australia's supermarket chain Coles has come under fire for publishing a job advertisement, which barred Indians or Asians from applying.

"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)", read the online ad posted on Sunday.

The ad on the Gumtree website sought cleaners for a supermarket at Eastlands Shopping Centre in Hobart, according to local media reports.

LINK

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

If they were smart, they would just throw away Indians and Asians resume by looking at their name, but if they want to be blatant racist, advertise and screw their business over, go ahead.

They scared Indians and Asian would be overqualified?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
for those that dont know, Coles is australias Walmart. absolutely massive supermarket chain
this might turn out to be a big deal
edit on 28-8-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wonder if the racism changes the taste of the food they sell?

In any case. Intolerance is everywhere.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well after recently returning to the UK after living in Australia for four years this does not surprise me in the least....

While in Australia I got totally fed up with the racist comments on a daily basis, it made me feel physically sick.....

It was like living back in the 1970's............

One of the main reasons for my return home.......

Let's hope something gets done about this advertisement and it's racist connotations, although I presume that nothing will happen. Will probably be just swept under the carpet..............

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by hp1229

If they were smart, they would just throw away Indians and Asians resume by looking at their name, but if they want to be blatant racist, advertise and screw their business over, go ahead.

They scared Indians and Asian would be overqualified?
True. Thats one way to solve the problem for the recruiter. However is it really going to help the IT sector in general in Australia? I am not sure if they're scared of being overqualified. It has to do with immigrants taking up jobs.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wow - talk about blunt!

In SA there's been a lot of controversy.
Most recently it was about excluding whites from a training program at the South African Airways (SAA).
mycapetown.co.za...
Apparently they've now changed this, and will at least consider white males.

Originally Affirmative Action was supposed to level the playing fields, but the most competent person was still supposed to get the job or study position.
Now it has just turned into discrimination and sometimes incompetent people being placed into positions simply due to their race.
And "race" is still defined by former apartheid classifications!

Even some local professional black people complain that immigrant blacks who never lived here under apartheid are given affirmative action, and that their skills are constantly undermined by notions that they are simply AA beneficiaries.

The ANC insists that all companies must impose Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) quotas, even in provinces where the white and colored people formed the majority.

I must say however that no job ads here have ever been that blatantly racist.
Usually they include a sentence that they are an "Employment Equity" company, and then one can pretty much guess what the chances are of even just being considered for employment.
edit on 28-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
for those that dont know, Coles is australias Walmart. absolutely massive supermarket chain
this might turn out to be a big deal
edit on 28-8-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)
Maybe for a week or two
As usual, people want cheaper goods and Coles will cater to their needs. Just like many other shocking news that remain fresh in the minds for a week or two and something else tops it as the previous one is lost in the vastness.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I understand people's disgust, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Although it's usually not this blatant.

I have applied to many jobs in the past where the recruitment agency has stated that 'preference would be given to previously disadvantaged people'. Due to political division, it has been decided for me that I do not fall into that category. After following up my applications they found it strange that I didn't realise that the job was not directed at people of my ethnicity. When I continued to enquire further, I was deemed a racist and a shameful person for wanting to take food from the mouths of those less fortunate than me.

The whole job fiasco is a see-saw of racism, and reverse racism. The world is crazy.
I'm sure that one day this division will cease completely once the younger (less traditional) generation becomes the majority population.

We all have no race. We all have no country. We all have no traditions. We were just born somewhere and are labelled accordingly.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's not coles that discriminates (in this case), it's the that of an employee who is employed by coles. Any how this isn't new and happens in every country day to day, not as blatant but it does happen. Even giving jobs to people of other races just because of their race breeds hate based on that matter. I hope the guy gets to say his part and why he has the views he does. At the end of the day though the man needs to understand that a person perusing a better lire is not what his anger should be aimed at, rather the politicians who create this problem
edit on 28-8-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Amazing how a thread about discrimination against Indian and Asians gets turned into discussion about "colored people" And reverse racism.

Btw, the term Reverse Racism is in of it self a racist term.

It implies that "Caucasians" are not apart of an ethnicity, giving a special term just for them.

When a person of Ethnicity other than Caucasian gets discriminated against its Racism, when its a Caucasian its Reverse? You don't see the essential flaw in that term.

We are all apart of the human race, which means Its all Racism, there is no "reverse" racism, that has to be the most retarded term I have ever heard thrown about.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I personally believe that most Aussies are not racist, nor want there country associated with that old ideology. Its not like every American dresses up in a White Hood and burns a cross, NO... A few idiots, can paint a terrible image of an entire Race of people, when in fact, No one should be cast into a group, just by there color, or where they originate from. I believe this goes much much deeper, and is part of controlling the masses by intrupting the continued effort of Most people to live an ordinary and unracist life, only basing someone, by Actions rather than by an unjust idiotic way of thinking, "Race". are we really that naive, I think Not, but let a few people speak for you, and Yes you are that Naive.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I assume that your post was perhaps aimed at me, seeing as I used that term, and if that is true then I think that there has been a bit of a miscommunication. I completely agree with what you are saying. My post was just an example of how politics causes division between us humans.
I apologise if I seemed like I was purposefully derailing the thread, as that was not my intention.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

In South Africa the term "colored" refers to a distinct population group, mainly from indigenous Khoisan and Cape Malay (Asian) origins. en.wikipedia.org...
It does not have the same connotations as in other countries like the US.

What is often termed "reverse racism" could be termed "albophobia" when directed against whites in some circumstances.

Not only whites, but also the Indians in SA complain of unfair discrimination.
en.wikipedia.org...
Here it seems to be more of a case of them not being considered "black" enough.

Yes, we should be one race on this planet, but that hasn't been the historical reality, and unfortunately it is not the reality now in many countries.

edit on 28-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
They need to be heavily fined and an example made of them so people learn.

It is NOT OK to be racist and any way shape or form.

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Racism of any kind is completely unacceptable and must be confronted and opposed whenever, wherever and however it appears.

In an effort to understand it would be good to find out the reasoning and justification etc of those responsible.

top topics

join