It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ellen Barkin Hopes Hurricane Kills 'Every Pro-Life, Xenophobic, Gay-Bashing SOB' At The RNC

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This comes from FOX "entertainment". Referring to FOX as news is ludicrous.

FOX is about entertainment and drama. They love their drama.

To know the full truth about this - - - I would need to go to Ellen's twitter. I don't know the context FOX took this from. It's probably part of a longer "conversation".

There are many comments from many people about this storm taking out the RNC.

But HEY! Let's single out Barkin.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Oh I never made any comments regarding you personally. You'll notice I said people and some. I wasn't referring to you personally.

I won't disagree, that the right, or the extreme right are a bunch of fundies. Not one bit. I won't argue that they are far more VOCAL since 2008 than the left have been. But prior to that, say 2004 and beyond, it was the left who were screaming bloody murder.

Let's remember that political nonsense works in cycles. It's usually the people not in power that yell the loudest.

reply to post by charles1952

With respect, no.

I am a member first. Always first.

I need not hide behind some other alias because I've been tasked with assisting in the moderation of the Terms & Conditions.

Furthermore I am unable to moderate a thread I participate in and must recuse myself of ANY and ALL decisions regarding threads or posts that I have participated in.

Mods Are People Too & We Have Opinions

What you request I do is not post, at all, as a member, but create an alternate alias to hide my true identity. Not only is this against the Terms & Conditions, but it's a bit insulting.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by charles1952
Condemnation of Barkin, Akin, and the rest, or at least of their comments.

Well Barkin is expressing emotion.

Akin was stating something as fact.

And another distinction....Barkin is an actress...and Akin writes laws that apply to 300 Million plus Americans.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

She was married to some one on the right who was called a Patriot by Bill Orielly. So it must be the religious side of the story that has her mad. Not all the right want Romney. Must be some kind of infighting over religious beliefs. The Mormon TV station fights her gay tv show over religious concerns and she fights back at the church and blames Romney.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm not even reading replies yet... I just want to say what has probably been stated about 200 times already ( I would hope ).

Ellen Barkin is an actress... An actress.

Mr Akin is a powerful politician in the following positions of authority:

Committee assignments
Committee on Armed Services
Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces
Subcommittee on Seapower and Expeditionary Forces (Chairman)
Committee on the Budget
Committee on Science, Space and Technology
Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics
Subcommittee on Energy and Environment

Source

This is like an adult saying "I can say anything I want and it's OK because I overheard this one guy on the street saying..."

I'd argue that this is apples and oranges. But, in reality, that just doesn't cover it. This is more like comparing apples to that one special doohickey that holds the camera in place on the Hubble space telescope...

I can probably hit up Charlie Sheen to get an equally shocking comment. But would it be relevant?

~Heff

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm not even reading replies yet... I just want to say what has probably been stated about 200 times already ( I would hope ).

Well Hells Bells, do I see a moderator tag on your user name? Why wouldn't you read an entire thread before jumping in to say something? DOH!!

It's the usual hollyweird trash type of stuff, so you haven't missed much, anyway.

Who cares what Ellen Barkin has to say?
edit on 28-8-2012 by Sulie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
So it must be the religious side of the story that has her mad.

I don't care. I'm in CA - - I was Mormon for 5 years - - when it comes to their involvement in Prop8 - - - (IMO Ellen probably isn't using strong enough wording.)

I researched some of her past tweets. They are over-the-top strong worded and hilarious.

This is what she actually tweeted: “C’mon #Isaac! Wash every pro-life, anti-education, anti-woman, xenophobic, gay-bashing, racist SOB right into the ocean! #RNC ”

No where does she use the word "kill" or "drown" or "harm" - - - all the drama words now being applied to her tweet.

This is just fact. If you want to spin it beyond that - - - that's up to you.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie

Well Hells Bells, do I see a moderator tag on your user name? Why wouldn't you read an entire thread before jumping in to say something? DOH!!

edit on 28-8-2012 by Sulie because: (no reason given)

Moderators are members too and it's not bad form to reply to an OP without reading replies. Pure responses to an OP are customary and acceptable on ATS!

Why would you see a moderator tag on my profile and think that different rules apply to me?

~Heff

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Dear Annee,

Hello, again. When your name shows up, I know I'm going to have to do some thinking. Thanks.

Well Barkin is expressing emotion.

Akin was stating something as fact.
You're right (broadly speaking), but I was hoping to catch all sorts of insanity. If, for example, someone were to say " Those G---- D-----N words better leave this F----- country before they pollute all the pure, white, women." I would agree that he was simply expressing emotion, but I hope you would agree that this emotion lands him squarely in the camp of those who can be labelled, to use the scientific term, "Cuckoo."

There is also crazy talk coming from blacks, gays, straights, Muslims, Christians, just about every group has its rabid folks. I would hope each group would try to control their own, and that society would strongly discourage them. Somehow, I would like the country to say, "We don't talk like that, here."

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. I know this sounds like just a call for civility, and in a sense it is, but my real purpose is to get people to condemn incivility. We've already had ineffectual calls for civility. I want the parties and groups to condemn their own crazies rather than to use them as shock troops. Some groups have done a better job of this than others, but if I name them it may start an unnecessary argument. - C -

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

She may as well have, all the word dancing aside that is in fact the implication of what she said. It was wrong for her to say it and just as wrong to find any kind of justification for her to say it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Moderators are members too and it's not bad form to reply to an OP without reading replies. Pure responses to an OP are customary and acceptable on ATS!

Why would you see a moderator tag on my profile and think that different rules apply to me?

~Heff

Sorry, but I think it is rude to reply to any thread without looking at the whole entire thing first. You might think it's rude of me to tell you this, but before one can make an intelligent response, it's important to weigh in on all the responses thus far. You might miss a tasty tidbit. Just my own thoughts........I actually read and try to comprehend the whole thing before I throw in my two cents.

Now back on topic.............

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Edit: took to long to post response and thread grew by 3 pages. Want to catch up before responding.
edit on 28-8-2012 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It's possible that it was all humor, but since I see what the ocean does to those who are washed out for a hurricane, it's humor at the expense of deaths, with a touch of plausible deniability. Covering butts while being a donkey is still happening.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Oh Charles. I know you're good at detail posts and I am not. I'm not going to get that deep into this discussion.

You know my "base" sentiment is inline with Ellen's. But - I will never be on Twitter - - even if someone pays me.

What Ellen actually says is: “C’mon #Isaac! Wash every pro-life, anti-education, anti-woman, xenophobic, gay-bashing, racist SOB right into the ocean! #RNC ”

The over dramatized words "Hate" "Drown" "Kill" - - - - aren't coming from her. At least not in this specific tweet.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by guohua

Celebrities are now the voice of the entire Liberal movement?

Really?

Celebrity...(from Wikipedia)

A celebrity, also referred to as a celeb in popular culture, is a person who has a prominent profile and commands a great degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media. The term is synonymous with wealth (commonly denoted as a person with fame and fortune), implied with great popular appeal, prominence in a particular field, and is easily recognized by the general public.

Can someone who elicits the reaction "Who in the blue hell is Ellen Barkin?" actually be considered a "celebrity?" Not that I disagree with what you're getting at, but in the grand scheme of things a nobody expressed an opinion... whoopie!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
reply to post by Annee

It's possible that it was all humor, but since I see what the ocean does to those who are washed out for a hurricane, it's humor at the expense of deaths, with a touch of plausible deniability. Covering butts while being a donkey is still happening.

You are interpreting.

You are dramatizing her actual statement.

You are CHOOSING to take it literally.

I can interpret too. Watch. Washing something into water is a metaphor for cleansing. Cleansing their souls. Cleansing their minds. Cleansing the earth of hate. etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
reply to post by Annee

She may as well have, all the word dancing aside that is in fact the implication of what she said. It was wrong for her to say it and just as wrong to find any kind of justification for her to say it.

I don't agree what she said was wrong.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dear tothetenthpower,

Oh, I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding. You've always been reasonable with me, and I've always appreciated your work. I can't wait for some device that will express our thoughts more clearly than a keyboard. I certainly had no desire to insult you, and I apologize for creating that impression.

Another poster had mentioned your Moderator status and you properly remarked that that was irrelevant and a logical fallacy.

I thought that if Moderator status in a thread was seen as a problem by that poster, and if you agreed that it twisted the conversation unacceptably, then I had a suggestion that might get around that problem.

I do not think that you need to post under an alias. As you know, I have never complained about your posting. We have had some good discussions within threads, and I am not calling for a change in any way.

Again, my apologies for my lack of clarity.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join