It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was God doing before "In the beginning"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
nothing because he/she/it didnt exsist,,, or the god before him, her, it made them oops that means all the other religions are SUCK

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Working 9am-9pm, saving up a deposit for a Universe Start Up kit.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I only made it through about 1.5 pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if this was said after that (I gotta leave in a few minutes, but couldn't resist replying).

I'm so glad you asked this question! I bought a Torah several years ago and it says 'when God began to create the heavens and the earth' in Gen 1:1. I asked a biblical scholar about it (Carl Jacobson at Augsburg College in Minneapolis if you want to email him), and he said that that's what it's supposed to say. The KJV was mistranslated and it's always been mistranslated that way.

"When God began to" is waaaaaay different than "in the beginning," but it stuck.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Before creation God was not exactly aware of himself, athough being the pure seed of awareness he was aware, when God tried to turn around and know himself the universe was created, because the universe is a reflection of God and "gods creation points to him" the universe is the equal and opposite reaction to god, all cause and effect can be zoomed out to this one thing: God the uncaused cause, and the universe, the effect, the cosmos is equal to god in power/ momentum/ potency/ grandeur/ magnificence but opposite in nature.

It is said that when we achieve Self-Realization we merge with the divine, fully conscious, another thread asked, what is gods goal? well gods goal is for every living soul that exists to merge in him (Our God is a Consuming fire. Paul. in Hebrews i think) when this happens god himself will achieve Self-Realisation, that is gods goal, to know himself through the medium of the universe, and when this goal is reached, it will be Jesus Christ who is the newly perfected beyond mans conception of perfection, God, whenever someone reaches enlightenment the enlightened atma is added to gods stockpile of conscious consciousness and the son of man will have gods throne and all the power in heaven and we will all have a share equal to him but not quite, because there will be unity, no him or us, but unity.

This will happen to you sooner or later, EVERYONE will acheive enlightenment, whether you want it or not, your own lifes journey will lead you there, maybe not in this life but it is a fact, there can be no escape from the Lord of Love, i myself used to be such a devout atheist that if someone said to me, God is love i would have said well love doesnt exist then. Paul as well murdered and persecuted believers and then ended up writing most of the new testament.

Much Love ATS XD

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by simplyLOVE

Paul as well murdered and persecuted believers and then ended up writing most of the new testament.
Paul never murdered anyone.
Acts is like a parable and not an actual history, so Paul was never at the stoning of Stephen, and there probably never actually was a person named Stephen, but was a composite character to portray martyrs of that period, who were taken by the "religious" to be heretics fully deserving of what they got.
What Paul did do, as described in his own words in his letters, was to attend Christian meetings and engage them in verbal arguments, trying to trip them up into contradicting themselves.
edit on 30-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I find these types of threads despicable. They're nearly always started by the same bored a-holes who feed their egos asking questions for which there are no answers. I have never figured out how or why this makes them feel they possess superior intellect but some how it does.

So, rather than fall for this, like whoever this is hopes you and I will I'll let my Bible answer:

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Proverbs 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I'll leave it here.

If I'm wrong and you're right on the issue of God. Then when I die I'll close my eyes and that will be it. Because I've lived according to the Book the world didn't suffer because I was here. I did as much good as I could wherever I could.

But, if I'm right and you're wrong then a split second after your last breath you're going to face a judge. A righteous judge. And you're not going to like what He has to say to you. Friend, hell is forever.

Now, let me ask you a question in the same vein as yours. How long is eternity?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmdrZero
I find these types of threads despicable. They're nearly always started by the same bored a-holes who feed their egos asking questions for which there are no answers. I have never figured out how or why this makes them feel they possess superior intellect but some how it does.
We're really just trying to get you to join us. We're not here to shoot you down.

So, rather than fall for this, like whoever this is hopes you and I will I'll let my Bible answer:

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Proverbs 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not: but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

I'll leave it here.
Does this mean that I'm both an a-hole and a fool?

If I'm wrong and you're right on the issue of God. Then when I die I'll close my eyes and that will be it. Because I've lived according to the Book the world didn't suffer because I was here. I did as much good as I could wherever I could.

But, if I'm right and you're wrong then a split second after your last breath you're going to face a judge. A righteous judge. And you're not going to like what He has to say to you. Friend, hell is forever.

Are you saying you base your belief on fear rather than certainty? Do you believe God approves of Pascal's wager?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by simplyLOVE

It is said that when we achieve Self-Realization we merge with the divine, fully conscious, another thread asked, what is gods goal? well gods goal is for every living soul that exists to merge in him (Our God is a Consuming fire. Paul. in Hebrews i think) when this happens god himself will achieve Self-Realisation, that is gods goal, to know himself through the medium of the universe, and when this goal is reached, it will be Jesus Christ who is the newly perfected beyond mans conception of perfection, God, whenever someone reaches enlightenment the enlightened atma is added to gods stockpile of conscious consciousness and the son of man will have gods throne and all the power in heaven and we will all have a share equal to him but not quite, because there will be unity, no him or us, but unity.

Well that is really close. god exists only on the basis of: "I think, therefore: I am." (Descartes)
god exists via "The Word" and didn't exist before the word, which is a human incarnation for god.

Animals have no real concept for god, as they don't have the extensive language ability. Yet, they live in the same universe, the same natural order, so how could they be exempt?

Just as Jesus is resurrected in the minds of man, as the body of Christ concept, it is only via this god like ritual of spirit existance via the word being shared.

The Last Supper's theme for this is my blood and this is my body, which you consume, makes you the body of Christ. It is pretty simple concept, but one mostly one not understood by those in religion.

The question then becomes should such ritual be considered reality, or an illusion such as Santa Clauss.

Has that ritual been abused in the sense of departure from the ideals of Jesus, this to alter values.

Did the Jesus concept really seek to have a Chosen People, or equal status for all. Thus, there was never a need of Royals seeking power, control, and money in the real set of Jesus' Values.

Religion taught correctly tells that we all live in each other's care with high emphasis on equality and equity to others.

In place of real religion, it appears what has happened is the Christians use the body of Christ theme to assume they are god, and from there think they are above others and do little for equality, even though the US Constitution wants this, and they promote the downfall of the US via the concept of a King coming to rule over the world. Christians exhibit an arrogance toward anyone insisting on their return to the real values of the Jesus theme, as it insists on equality and not their being more special than anyone else.

Such wayward Christian ideas are dangerous to the US, its Constitution, and the universal ideals for equality and freedom. Is such religious adherence for illusion really good for the world, or should speaking in the simple terms of reality be held as more valuable than imagination concepts of god that depart from reality think.

edit on 30-8-2012 by MagnumOpus because: I think, therefore: I am

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
reply to post by MamaJ

I thank you for your kindness. I don't begrudge those persons who question religion or feel no need for faith. What I have a hard time understanding is criticism of others views and beliefs for the sake of criticism.

I'm wide open to new understandings and ideas. I would love to hear the critics present alternatives. Lacking new ideas or the willingness to present relative meritts, I see no reason not to think that the critics are trying to exalt themselves at the expense of others.

What is the point in that? "People who believe in God are stupid." I ask relative to what? Relative to who?

Believe what you will. Until you come up with something better, your criticisms are a waste of time on me. I love God. I accept myself unconditionally. I deserve to be loved because I am worth it. So are you MagnumOpus and so is Harry Potter in that he was created. I don't think he is a religion as you seem to.

I totally agree with all that you said and understand where you are coming from. You have the compassion to understand others by stepping outside of yourself. This is a goal we humans should attain in my opinion.

Your signature speaks loudly to me. I'm seeing the story unfold and am dumbfounded that I can actually see it and experience it.

Our reality is such that we can only express our self from which we understand by the knowledge we have obtained thus far.

Our reality is full of stories and these stories all have truth and meaning. The way the story ends with humankind can and will be in the end, a blessing.

Life awaits!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CmdrZero

Wow. What a despicable answer from the type of Bible-quoter who calls people who are seeking answers "a-holes" and "fools". Why did you click on it?

Just to be ugly?
Shame. Tsk tsk.

You did fall for it, and you just fell from grace as well, by attacking and acting like you know better than any of us. Woopsies!

Strange, I suffered vicariously at your words here directed to gentledissident. So, that makes at least one of us who suffered due to your harsh, judgmental attitude and unkind words.

You keep thinking about that, Friend. You'll be facing the very same judge, and dissident has not said anything hateful or condemned anyone. How the hell do you know what dissident will face? You'd best worry about your own hatred.

Long time.
So be nice.

Let others find their own way without dissing them, eh? You don't know what's going to happen either.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Well that is really close. god exists only on the basis of: "I think, therefore: I am." (Descartes) god exists via "The Word" and didn't exist before the word, which is a human incarnation for god.
reply to post by MagnumOpus

In my opinion...

" I am " is an expression.....

of all that is, can be and will be. It's an awareness of I within the Spirit of God. I am can be anything or anyone. It IS for all an expression of the I.

Why do you say the Word ( Jesus, Joshua, Enoch, Adam, Plato, and so on) IS God? Why do you think God only exists because of the Word? This is simply not true. Jesus is our brother. His spirit reached the at one ment and it was the goal to " save us all" from being stuck here on Earth and losing our spirit.

We are not God, the Father of creations. We have the same spirit, just as your child has the same, but your child is still not you.

The Word is an expression of this reality, of this life in matter as human flesh mixed with spirit of God within time.

The Word is fulfilling the law of this expression of experience.

In all of what what our senses tell us, God is telling a story. He is expressing himself through the Word, yes, but also in everything!! The Universe is an expression that is expanding with the thoughts of mankind. We are powerful with the knowledge we hold, yes, but we are incapable of knowing what to do with such power. We see this today within the mind sets of mankind. We are like little children and definitely not ready to play God. Just like our kids, they want to be grown before they are ready.

Expressions matter! Do you get it? Lol it's an awakening that truly liberates you!

We have to be quiet and listen, look, feel, smell in order to know what it is we are sensing.

We seek with the knowledge we have available and soon find God in everything.

Jesus is telling us the story of mankind with his Words! His goal, as OURS is to get mankind back to the tree of life.

Expressions are shown to truly matter within the flesh of mankind and all of nature! Our knowledge can lead us back to life, only if we work together in which the good order of nature flows.

Jesus shows us this! Quantum Mechanics shows us so much more than I ever dreamed of, the expressions of the different particles are lovely in their own right and their expressions matter just as much as we are all working toward the same goal.

Some spirits here are so bogged down with matter they will not be able to remember " in time".

We, through expressions of knowledge are trying really hard to help others that are in the " dark", remember.

This experience will evolve and the law of life will be had. The story of mankind will end.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Well that is really close. god exists only on the basis of: "I think, therefore: I am." (Descartes) god exists via "The Word" and didn't exist before the word, which is a human incarnation for god.
reply to post by MagnumOpus

In my opinion...

" I am " is an expression.....

of all that is, can be and will be. It's an awareness of I within the Spirit of God. I am can be anything or anyone. It IS for all an expression of the I.

Why do you say the Word ( Jesus, Joshua, Enoch, Adam, Plato, and so on) IS God? Why do you think God only exists because of the Word? This is simply not true. Jesus is our brother. His spirit reached the at one ment and it was the goal to " save us all" from being stuck here on Earth and losing our spirit.

We are not God, the Father of creations. We have the same spirit, just as your child has the same, but your child is still not you.

The Word is an expression of this reality, of this life in matter as human flesh mixed with spirit of God within time.

The Word is fulfilling the law of this expression of experience.

In all of what what our senses tell us, God is telling a story. He is expressing himself through the Word, yes, but also in everything!! The Universe is an expression that is expanding with the thoughts of mankind. We are powerful with the knowledge we hold, yes, but we are incapable of knowing what to do with such power. We see this today within the mind sets of mankind. We are like little children and definitely not ready to play God. Just like our kids, they want to be grown before they are ready.

Expressions matter! Do you get it? Lol it's an awakening that truly liberates you!

We have to be quiet and listen, look, feel, smell in order to know what it is we are sensing.

We seek with the knowledge we have available and soon find God in everything.

Jesus is telling us the story of mankind with his Words! His goal, as OURS is to get mankind back to the tree of life.

Expressions are shown to truly matter within the flesh of mankind and all of nature! Our knowledge can lead us back to life, only if we work together in which the good order of nature flows.

Jesus shows us this! Quantum Mechanics shows us so much more than I ever dreamed of, the expressions of the different particles are lovely in their own right and their expressions matter just as much as we are all working toward the same goal.

Some spirits here are so bogged down with matter they will not be able to remember " in time".

We, through expressions of knowledge are trying really hard to help others that are in the " dark", remember.

This experience will evolve and the law of life will be had. The story of mankind will end.

There is an old saying, one the CIA values: "The truth will set you free."

Truth doesn't need the religious imagination and illusions that complicate that which is evident to all into that which is a greater hidden and embellish mystery.

Weak minds appear to get into this aversion from reality because they have to have the illusions, like a child needs the illusion for Harry Potter.

Those that like truth, value the sciences and don't need to call them religion, science is just the process for seeking the truths and it doesn't need faith in anything, doesn't buy gods that made miracles by human pleedings, and really just thinks all this time wasted on religion and spirit games such as yours, as silly wastes of time that do great harm due to the differences in the faiths and illusions in the mind.

Truth needs no illusions of the mind, doesn't need a god concept to promote peace, unity, and common understanding. Truth doesn't need any religion. Ignorance isn't reality. To deny Ignorance is truth. To deny Religion is reality.

In the modern world, the concept of god is just a mind game. Religion is the denial of reality.

If religion can ever give up the spin games and speak with common sense, it will have reality value, but then cease to be religion in need of faith. If that should occur, all of religion will become the myth, not history, not truth, not science, nor archiology, nor evolution, nor the issues of faked up concepts of gods.

When Christians use religion to sidestep reality and so quickly depart into imagination and illusion, can that be called good. When the Catholic priests that used religion to exploit little kids for sex and a sexually derived serotonin boost in the brain, was that any different that the Christian departing reality and truth for a serotonin rush. When the drug abuser so easily uses drugs to get into a drug fanstasy world, with serotonin derived departure from reality, how is that different than the Christian's constant need to depart from simple truths and into nonreality that require some faith issues, which are not basis for truth. Really, has anyone seen a real sign for the road to heaven or the road to hell? The answer is No, as there are no such physical reality roads as they only exist in the Christian world of illusion and fantasy. When Christians can switch so easily from truth to fanstasy and get into the same serotonin rush games of drugs and sex abuse priests, is there really any difference between Christians and the abusers? Not in reality. Which is the basis for religion being bad for society.

Most consider the healthy of mind to value the simple truth realities, and the unhealty the ones that need to easily depart from reality with fanstasy stores of hell and heaven, of gods and satan, of faith as truth.

edit on 30-8-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Religion isn't reality when it needs a drop of faith.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by Glass
But you're pointing at only one book out of dozens, if not hundreds, of books which talk about a creator. Have you ever wondered if all these books might hold some common truths?

There is a commonality. It's the homo sapien brain.

Excellent reply.

The common element in all books is that they're written by humans. Why is this? Because only humans can write? It goes deeper than that.

Humans are the most intellectually advanced species that we know of. Our ability to comprehend surpasses all other known species, except perhaps dolphins but they dont have the thumbed hands needed to dissect reality. When we look at something, we begin to notice its qualities and process them in a linear fashion. We examine it until we are satisfied.

I know this probably wasn't what you were implying. You probably meant something along the lines of "humans have wild imaginations and just make stuff up." But that's not really true. Yes, we are imaginitive, but our imagination works with things we have already seen and comprehend. Humans have never come up with a completely original idea; they're always constructed out of other ideas.

When I look at all existence, I don't quite see the whole picture. I can see (in my mind, to the best of my knowledge) from the Higgs Boson to the expanding limit of our universe. Common patterns exist within the microcosm and macrocosm, so I imagine that those patterns extend both above and below, possibly to infinity.

I'm quite satisfied with my knowledge of existence itself, except for one issue: what causes existence to exist? What is the initial cause, not just for the universe but for reality itself? Some call it God. I think the best term is Source, but I use God so people will know what I'm talking about. Because of the way I think of God, it makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone would say that God does not exist. It would be far more accurate to say that one's idea of God is incorrect or incomplete.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join