What was God doing before "In the beginning"?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

Originally posted by MeesterB

I don't see why God needs a creator, and the premise of your question still implies time.
"first" and "last" are states that are defined by time.

Then why does anything need a creator?

Accepting the idea that there was no 'Creator of God', is no different from accepting the idea that God has never existed, and there has never been any sort of Creator whatsoever.

I have said nothing about any sort of a beginning, nor an end. It is the bible which implies time.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I avoid categorization also. Its a convenient way to "package" your belief system to sell to the masses, but I find it limiting. How would I categorize myself? Semi-Christian Buddhist New-Age Panentheist? I take ideas from too many sources to be crammed into a single box.

Though I could easily categorize you as agnostic

Your "problem" (or intellectual roadblock) is that you look at God as some sort of anthropomorphic figure, like an all powerful man/woman/alien who lives outside our universe.

It's a sort of straw-man position. I think you say God does not exist because your only concept of God is quite illogical and doesn't fully make sense no matter how you look at it. It is a concept derived from old religions, which possess great volumes of wisdom from a philosophical perspective but are lacking in their ability to really describe God.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

Originally posted by Glass

[color=FF9991]Your "problem" (or intellectual roadblock) is that you look at God as some sort of anthropomorphic figure, like an all powerful man/woman/alien who lives outside our universe.
Ah ok then. Well thank you so very much for pointing out my flaws.
How very Christian-like of you.

I spose i jus bee to stoopid two beleeve in fairy tails.

It is a concept derived from old religions, which possess great volumes of wisdom from a philosophical perspective but are lacking in their ability to really describe God.
It is a fictional storybook that has been re-edited, re-translated, and rewritten over and over and over '[color=CAE0C5]god knows how many times' throughout the last couple thousand years.

edit on 8/29/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by Glass

[color=FF9991]Your "problem" (or intellectual roadblock) is that you look at God as some sort of anthropomorphic figure, like an all powerful man/woman/alien who lives outside our universe.
Ah ok then. Well thank you so very much for pointing out my flaws.
How very Christian-like of you.

I spose i jus bee to stoopid two beleeve in fairy tails.

It wasn't my intention to insult you. I'm saying that, because you're unable or unwilling to look past the "fairy tales" you're just preventing yourself from grasping the bigger picture.

Once again I'm not calling you stupid, though you're starting to act it.

It is a concept derived from old religions, which possess great volumes of wisdom from a philosophical perspective but are lacking in their ability to really describe God.
It is a fictional storybook that has been re-edited, re-translated, and rewritten over and over and over '[color=CAE0C5]god knows how many times' throughout the last couple thousand years.
edit on 8/29/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

That's part of my point. It's an old book. A lot of the stories are parables. Some are based on historical events. Some are vague predictions of the future which are certain to be tied to some event because of the vague description.

But you're pointing at only one book out of dozens, if not hundreds, of books which talk about a creator. Have you ever wondered if all these books might hold some common truths?
edit on 29/8/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/8/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I thank you for your kindness. I don't begrudge those persons who question religion or feel no need for faith. What I have a hard time understanding is criticism of others views and beliefs for the sake of criticism.

I'm wide open to new understandings and ideas. I would love to hear the critics present alternatives. Lacking new ideas or the willingness to present relative meritts, I see no reason not to think that the critics are trying to exalt themselves at the expense of others.

What is the point in that? "People who believe in God are stupid." I ask relative to what? Relative to who?

Believe what you will. Until you come up with something better, your criticisms are a waste of time on me. I love God. I accept myself unconditionally. I deserve to be loved because I am worth it. So are you MagnumOpus and so is Harry Potter in that he was created. I don't think he is a religion as you seem to.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

But you're pointing at only one book out of dozens, if not hundreds, of books which talk about a creator. Have you ever wondered if all these books might hold some common truths?

There is a commonality. It's the homo sapien brain.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
god was having a serious conflict, way back when there was no one to talk too, and he could not decide if he was an egg or a chicken. It created such an internal conflict that the internal friction caused a Big Bang, and all that is left is a well cooked universe.

Other than that, humans just don't know even if the concept for god applied, or a chicken, or an egg.

Most think that god really doesn't matter as long as everyone considers we all live in each other's care, don't seek to play god or King with wealth or otherwise, and that everyone has a duty for stewarship to maintain a generous equality.

god is a highly overrated concept.

Perhaps the most dangerous issue in the Bible Narrative is most don't know that this god, of the original creation for the Universe theme, isn't the same god that is called Yahweh, the gods of Anu, Enlil, Enki, or Jesus. The first one is theoretically millinea old, and the second is very recent and what the Bible Narratives are about.

That god is a faked up god, the gods of Anu, the gods of the Pantheon, the Elohim, the Creator gods, which the Bible is about, isn't even a proper god concept.

The only think there is a bunch of jealous beings of higher intelligence that needed a few slaves. Abraham, Enoch, Elijah, and a bunch of others bumped into these jealous gods, and started a fine mess with bad concepts.

edit on 29-8-2012 by MagnumOpus because: If anyone every finds the god of the beginning, it will be a first

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link