What was God doing before "In the beginning"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
It was your statement regarding deluding oneself with fairy tales that implied some degree of atheism. I do not recall implying that I subscribe to any one religion's particular "fairy tale" so I might very well react with the same sort of indignation that you display...

But I won't because I find it tiresome.
edit on 28/8/2012 by Glass because: Quotation error

I only reacted with indignation and made the fairy tale comment because i had found your previous post (about being narrow-minded) slightly insulting. I certainly didn't come here with the intention of trolling.
I just find arguments that basically consist of "we don't have to explain it logically, because god exceeds logical arguments because he is infinite and unknowable blah blah blah" to be lazy and/or lacking.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
All ny research throughout my years here leads me to believe that I'm %90 sure this is what he was doing...

That will keep some people busy for a while ....

back on topic this question will only lead to what happened before that? then what about bbefore that?then what about before that? And before that?....And so on and so on.
edit on 28-8-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

For us to worry about what Created God, we first have to figure out if whether he is is bound by the laws we understand. We have a point of origin, and we have an exit. Why? We're made of matter, and we're bound by laws that make this stuff decay, and someone remembers when each of us was born, and sometimes the day we were conceived. If He is bound by these laws, then He certainly has been created. If the laws only apply to matter, and not spirit, then this is a silly question to ask.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
To me, it would make more sense that there was no begining. Just always was and always is and continues to be. I believe the bible and god/jesus are stories that people made up.
Some of the lessons are good, but damn alot of that book is terrible. This is one of those questions that people will continue to ask for ever, and the christians/muslims etc will give you the same answer over and over. "CUZ.......GOD". They always have a way out.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

It never surprises me just how deep some of the questions have become here. Maybe when everybody figures this out we can work on something like this.

What is God's favorite color? I'm guessing sort of a mauve.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IsThisThingBugged

I left ATS for 2 years and this guy/girl STILL starts every religious thread by insinuating that every religious person is a baffoon... Just couldn't believe there hadn't been some mature growth within her/his own positions that name calling was still being used...

What?

So, you appear to be brand new, and the person to whom you posted this response (coob..) has been here for 5 years. Sorry, can't ignore the hostility.

As for the OP question: What was "God" doing? Thinking?
Like, while contemplating how to update the plumbing and electricity and fix the leak......thinking?????

*sigh*
Just curious.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

What is God's favorite color?

Green.

With brownish tints, and a sort of rust-colored accent. And brown.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hey Wild Times!! :-)

It's my bed time but I know in the morning when I'm drinking my coffee I will want to chime myself in on this thought provoking thread!!

Night y'all, I will be dreaming about the answer... Lol

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hiya.....see you then!
Gnight......
It is quite thought-provoking, though.....good "falling asleep" stuff.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
reply to post by coop039

What is God's favorite color? I'm guessing sort of a mauve.

I would say blood red, because he has seen a lot of it flow in 'his name' & without any intervention to stop it.

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider
Isaiah 55:8-9

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I don't think we COULD understand.

Think of it like this, if he tried to tell us, our brains couldn't take the strain and would probably explode. When he spoke to the prophets, sometimes their ears would bleed and the pain would be so bad they'd beg Him to stop talking so He had to spoonfeed them His words bits at a time to give them rest.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
what god?everyone has there own......scientists say everything came from a big bang,,,,,,,,,,,,how can we get something from nothing?

so many questions and to me we,ll never get the answers.......we,ve heard about jesus and stuff but if this god is so true then where is he? wasn,t shy in coming forward thousands of years ago according to some and now silence? if he exists then show me the proof.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Before God created the heavens and earth, what was he doing?

What were you doing before you became the person who you are?
God was probably doing about the same thing.
The idea that there was one person who existed before there was anything else, and created everything there is now out of nothing is a rather recent development in religious thought that probably comes out of the dark ages when you had a church that was very dogmatic and ready to adopt anything that lent legitimacy to its authority.
Normal thought that was even part of early Christianity was that there was a mysterious sort of unity that always existed and over stages divided itself up until you have a multiplicity that accounts for all human life in the universe.
Amongst those beings that originated from what was once the unity, would also be who we may call the Gods, who do take a certain priority though in many ways are quite similar to ourselves, all coming from a common origin.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
No one can answer you're question. Heres my take : Whether god exists or not doesn't matter. Reason? No matter how much his existence is disproven, by science or anything else, the fact that he's god (and I hate when people go by this logic) means it doesn't matter. Example : We find proof that nothing can exist before the Big Bang. Religious view : God made it that way. Logic and reasoning doesn't have a place in conversation about God, thats why no one can answer your question.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

I figured it would be a rainbow. The promise of no more global destruction by water.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by coop039
Another thread I was reading got me thinking about this.
I am in no way trying to bash Christians, Im just wanting to know what your thoughts are about this.

Before God created the heavens and earth, what was he doing? Was he alone in a vast nothingness? If he created everything who or what created him? is there a race of gods? Do they all have their own planets that they watch over? Just what was he doing? What was before god?

Im sure I will get the "he was in heaven with the angels" response, but Im wondering what was before that. If he created everything (heaven and angels included), What was he up to before all that?

God was doing eternity before, after and during time! He is not only a process of bringing forth existence, he is the infinite creation expressed. The mind cannot contain infinity so it cannot hold the concept of God intellectually. But it can try. God is everything. The cause. The cause caused the cause. If you want to know characteristics of the cause simply observe! Nature and self. That is God as well as his message. That's why some people have a hard relationship with God. Because they are mad at God. When they observe they observe fear, horror, pain, suffering, separation. But that is not the sum total of God's expression. And if we are honest it can be admitted. God should be admitted first then understood. God can't tell you what is meant if you don't admit the expression of creation is Real. Full of information. In fact 100% information. Total actual true information. God is eternal, without time. Where things like beginnings and ends do not apply. Where creation does not exist as a separate phenomenon. Where the concept of God being created does not apply. Mankind does have a beginning and end which lends to our confusion about God's eternal nature. Science can help us admit the truth of the beginning and end. We know this already because it's true. It's going to be a tough lesson.

God rules!
with Love.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Show me a quantity, and I will tell you it is a numbering system. Show me a quality, and I will tell you that you have seen God.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider
Isaiah 55:8-9

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I don't think we COULD understand.

Think of it like this, if he tried to tell us, our brains couldn't take the strain and would probably explode. When he spoke to the prophets, sometimes their ears would bleed and the pain would be so bad they'd beg Him to stop talking so He had to spoonfeed them His words bits at a time to give them rest.

But if God is perfect and all-powerful, why couldn't he find a way to speak the truth to them without causing them pain? This would imply that his powers are limited, no? God can't be perfect and all-powerful AND be limited in how he communicates with us.
If he was truly perfect and all-powerful, he wouldn't have to TRY to do anything. He could just do it.

I eagerly await your explanation for this discrepancy....
edit on 29-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maroboduus

Having the discrepancy, if it is like that, is to make sure we understand limitations early on.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Kind of like "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" argument. Which begs the question, where did he come from in the first place? Was he created by another or just a random collision of particles?
If the universe is always expanding, what was the point of origin? If it is still expanding, does it push some kind of boundary? What the hell is an "endless" anything? We know speed of light and speed of sound but how far and fast do thoughts travel?
Then of course we have my personal favorites....
1. Why can't they design an airplane with a parachute?
2. Why don't we have a giant plastic mobile triangle to put into the path of tornadoes and hurricanes and break them up?
3. Why don't boats have inflatable rubber bladders to keep them from sinking or turn them upright in a storm?
4. Why did we make cell phones with typewriters built into them?
5. Why are we wasting time looking at Mars when 70% of our planet is water and the last guy to explore it was Jacques Cousteau?
6. What EXACTLY are those idiots at CERN up to with their underground particle accelerator?

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join