It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was God doing before "In the beginning"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Another thread I was reading got me thinking about this.
I am in no way trying to bash Christians, Im just wanting to know what your thoughts are about this.

Before God created the heavens and earth, what was he doing? Was he alone in a vast nothingness? If he created everything who or what created him? is there a race of gods? Do they all have their own planets that they watch over? Just what was he doing? What was before god?

Im sure I will get the "he was in heaven with the angels" response, but Im wondering what was before that. If he created everything (heaven and angels included), What was he up to before all that?

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
He was waiting for man to invent him.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Lolz, I like the comment above.

Why just Christians, isn't "God" universal to all religions?

That said, conciousness is infinate. No beggining, no end.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Lolz, I like the comment above.

Why just Christians, isn't "God" universal to all religions?

That said, conciousness is infinate. No beggining, no end.

Yes you can include any religion with a deity at its core. Again, no offense intended.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Getting the maths to work.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope you get your answer. I have often wondered about this very thing. In fact, I remember asking my parents when I was about 8. Their answers were the same as always, when they didn't have an answer: Basically, "We aren't supposed to know everything".

It makes a little girl curious.

I did find a "biblical" answer... but it's pretty much - Just believe what you read in the bible, don't ask questions and everything will be fine.

God was right there in the beginning before anything that He made existed.

www.bible-teaching-about.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You must be very unconfident in your own believes. I have noticed you take ever opportunity to but down others...

Your attempts to be a bully are unbecoming...
edit on 28-8-2012 by IsThisThingBugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You must be very unconfident in your own believes. I have noticed you take ever opportunity to but down others...

Your attempts to be a bully are unbecoming...

A bully? Really?

Please then, enlighten us, do you have answers to my questions?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by coop039

I am in no way trying to bash Christians, Im just wanting to know what your thoughts are about this.

Before God created the heavens and earth, what was he doing? Was he alone in a vast nothingness? If he created everything who or what created him? is there a race of gods? Do they all have their own planets that they watch over? Just what was he doing? What was before god?

Im sure I will get the "he was in heaven with the angels" response, but Im wondering what was before that. If he created everything (heaven and angels included), What was he up to before all that?

God is the ultimate realtity.
What we perceive as OUR reality is simply a projection of the ultimate reality, i.e God.
Asking what our maker did before the beginning (of our universe) is like being a clay pot and wondering what the potter was doing before he made his first batch of clay pots.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I hope you get your answer. I have often wondered about this very thing. In fact, I remember asking my parents when I was about 8. Their answers were the same as always, when they didn't have an answer: Basically, "We aren't supposed to know everything".

It makes a little girl curious.

I did find a "biblical" answer... but it's pretty much - Just believe what you read in the bible, don't ask questions and everything will be fine.

God was right there in the beginning before anything that He made existed.

www.bible-teaching-about.com...

Im not sure I will get an answer. But I was curious what religious people here think about these questions. I have also asked people I know and have not got an answer. Some have even responded that they dont understand my question.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This may seem like a deus ex machina answer, but Christians believe that God created all things, including time. He is outside of time and doesn't experience time like we do, so it doesn't make much sense to imagine Him sitting around before man came along.

I'm not trying to be snarky with my answer, but God is outside of every box man tries to put him in.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Maybe "God" was on another planet surrounded by other "Gods" making plans to create man in there likeness on this planet...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by coop039

God is the ultimate realtity.
What we perceive as OUR reality is simply a projection of the ultimate reality, i.e God.
Asking what our maker did before the beginning (of our universe) is like being a clay pot and wondering what the potter was doing before he made his first batch of clay pots.

The potter could have been eating lunch or talking to his wife.

So you dont know or have an answer, what about an opinion? A thought?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
This may seem like a deus ex machina answer, but Christians believe that God created all things, including time. He is outside of time and doesn't experience time like we do, so it doesn't make much sense to imagine Him sitting around before man came along.

I'm not trying to be snarky with my answer, but God is outside of every box man tries to put him in.

So at one point for some time he was all alone in a vast nothingness? How did he come exist?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
Maybe "God" was on another planet surrounded by other "Gods" making plans to create man in there likeness on this planet...

Forgive the Star Trek reference, but kind of like the "Q".
If there was a planets of "gods" I wonder if a some point they thought they were created, or did they believe in a god above them even?

And if there was a planet of gods, did any of the other gods create their own universes and planets?
edit on 28-8-2012 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by coop039

I left ATS for 2 years and this guy/girl STILL starts every religious thread by insinuating that every religious person is a baffoon... Just couldn't believe there hadn't been some mature growth within her/his own positions that name calling was still being used...

"In the beginning..." is all humans get and all God intends us to know of His actions. If you are a Christian than you could say God was preparing the conditions for the big bang. Many will say "oh well you can't have it both ways you cant be a creationist and believe in science" Why not?

What does the Bible REALLY say? It doesn't mention any white bearded man on a cloud, thats just how our feeble minds perceived God. All is says was the universe was void and without form. Thats a perfect description for pre-big bang conditions.

So God was busy at work preparing the universe... God is the God of science, the atom, the molecules that make up our world, not some dude on a cloud....

Or so a Christian might say...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Here is an article you mind find interesting...

stevegrand.wordpress.com... o-before-he-made-the-universe/

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I find it hard to believe that there even was a beginning.

We look at the big bang as a definite beginning, when "God created the universe, but what if the universe has been in existence for eternity? Is it possible that the universe could reach a maximum volume and begin to contract into another big-bang-like condensed state and then explode (or rebound) outward again?

Supposing the universe had a definite beginning, and that it was in fact the big bang... from where did the elements of this universe come? Could they have come from other universes or were they created directly from "source energy?"

If other universes exist, then can they be seen beside one another from outside? What sort of universe contains these universes? Did God create the other universes and the universes which contain them and those which contain them on to infinity, or does it end with ours or the level above ours?

I don't expect answers to these questions of course. You may ponder them at your liesure. One thing I would suggest is to let go of the idea of an anthropomorphic creator God who hand-crafted the universe in a specific form a few millenia ago. The reality is something much more abstract, mind blowing and amazing.

Keep asking questions like these. Keep searching and keep an open mind, you'll soon find the answers you seek.
edit on 28/8/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039

In the beginning there was only Him, Angels (messengers) weren't created yet. He is existence.

John 1:1-13

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

John’s Witness: The True Light

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Isaiah 45:21

21 Tell and bring forth your case;
Yes, let them take counsel together.
Who has declared this from ancient time?
Who has told it from that time?
Have not I, the Lord?
And there is no other God besides Me,
A just God and a Savior;
There is none besides Me.

Here are the other "gods" of the nations:

Jeremiah 10:2-9

2 Thus says the Lord:

“Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
5 They are upright, like a palm tree,
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
Because they cannot go by themselves.
Do not be afraid of them,
For they cannot do evil,
Nor can they do any good.”

6 Inasmuch as there is none like You, O Lord
(You are great, and Your name is great in might),
7 Who would not fear You, O King of the nations?
For this is Your rightful due.
For among all the wise men of the nations,
And in all their kingdoms,
There is none like You.
8 But they are altogether dull-hearted and foolish;
A wooden idol is a worthless doctrine.
9 Silver is beaten into plates;
It is brought from Tarshish,
And gold from Uphaz,
The work of the craftsman
And of the hands of the metalsmith;
Blue and purple are their clothing;
They are all the work of skillful men.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged
reply to post by coop039

I left ATS for 2 years and this guy/girl STILL starts every religious thread by insinuating that every religious person is a baffoon... Just couldn't believe there hadn't been some mature growth within her/his own positions that name calling was still being used...

I am a guy. And I in know way called anyone a baffoon. Name calling? I called no one any names.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join