It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 plus earthquakes in California in last three days - ALERT

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

Well, if was living living in a town and an earthquake ruptures a gas pocket and causes a secondary explosion, I think I would be feeling a little sad and shaken. This is a guess of mine, not anything verified by experts. Two pieces of chert or flint rubbed together can set off a spark. A chunk of flint against steel can send a spark. For this to happen, oxygen would need to be present also. There would probably only be about a two percent chance that removing the natural gas would be beneficial because conditions would need to be right. This theory should be open mindedly evaluated by someone with more knowledge. On a large scale, I doubt if it would have much effect.
edit on 29-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I wish people would stop coming to threads based on fact, and saying "stop spreading fear"...

You mean "stop spreading truth"??

This swarm is real and we as "regulars" aren't privy to the "why" so I think skepticism is very healthy in this matter.

No one knows any real facts about this. To a degree, it is spreading fear. I'm sure everyone living in Cali has heard all the stories and possibilities. Are they supposed to evacuate Cali every time something a little suspicious seems to happen? Me? I wouldn't live there for that very reason. But hey, there are tons of predictions based on whatever evidence that never come true, and it might have benefited everyone before that not to have wasted time being scared. Makes some sense.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. In socal here and just felt a bit of a rumble a few secs. Lets hope this isn't a precurssor to the big one.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I wish people would stop coming to threads based on fact, and saying "stop spreading fear"...

You mean "stop spreading truth"??

This swarm is real and we as "regulars" aren't privy to the "why" so I think skepticism is very healthy in this matter.

No one knows any real facts about this. To a degree, it is spreading fear. I'm sure everyone living in Cali has heard all the stories and possibilities. Are they supposed to evacuate Cali every time something a little suspicious seems to happen? Me? I wouldn't live there for that very reason. But hey, there are tons of predictions based on whatever evidence that never come true, and it might have benefited everyone before that not to have wasted time being scared. Makes some sense.

I do live in So Cal, and if you don't want to live here good for you. I love it...Lets see 80° on Christmas last year. Snow less than 30 Min from me, No tornados. Uh Hollywood, Magic Mountain, The Ocean, Just to name a few. so a few shakers here and there I would not trade LA in for anything...Also I live in the 6th safest City in the US...so just saying

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
We just had another 4.1 about couple of minutes ago in the same area as the two a couple of weeks ago. (Yorba Linda faultline)

Good times.....

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yeah, felt that # from City of Industry.

Minor tremble around City of Industry.

Diamond Bar area felt it a bit more, a friend called said she felt shaking 3 times.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Quakes around the Virgin Islands, fault system similar to San Andreas, Geothermal plant comming in 2014.

Geothermal plant by 2014

There is a “strong likelihood” that Dominica will have an operational geothermal plant in the country by 2014, according to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit. The government is reportedly in talks with firms in geothermal and power-generation about partnering with it on the construction and operation of the plant. “There is a strong likelihood that the plant could be operational by 2014,” he said. “The general public will be informed further on this in the coming months.”

Fault System

Location map Puerto Rico trench - USGS Scientific studies by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) have found that an earthquake occurring along this fault zone could generate a significant tsunami. NOAA stated: “A large fault system, which is similar to the San Andreas Fault in California, was discovered in very deep water near the trench. Much of the horizontal sliding between the North American and Caribbean plates occurs along this fault. The fault was named after Dr. Elizabeth (Betty) Bunce, a marine geophysicist pioneer who investigated this challenging environment in the 1950s.” Since 1988, the Puerto Rican Seismic Society has been using the Puerto Rican media to inform people about a future earthquake.

Is there that many geothermal sites that this is just a coincidence?
Tsunami potential is high.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
buh bye cali, was nice while it lasted

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

I looked it up and seems there are earthquakes some attributed to the plants like in Switzerland and Germany, I wonder how many hot spots for quakes correlate to the geothermal plants.

"Power companies have long produced limited amounts of geothermal energy by tapping shallow steam beds, often beneath geysers or vents called fumaroles. Those projects can induce earthquakes, although most are small."

topics.nytimes.com...

The Nevada plants were built and the quakes started there also. What if all the small ones are going to add up to a big earth movement.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

"oh good god. get a grip. iwould rather be told just incase. if you dont appreciate the heads up, i really couldnt care less. dont be afraid...

who says you got to be afraid anyway? spreading fear my arse.

if you live in california you're DUMB if you dont fear the next big one. you're on a freaking fault line. "

Not as dumb as you will feel when no big one happens and California is still above sea level and you'll never return to this post again....

I love this poster. She considers me dumb because I will not heed the advice of a poster on an internet conspiracy message board that she recieved from her father who got that intel from the engineering and construction grapevine or whatever. Wow. . . .

You are aware that California has thousands of earthquakes per year...right?

I was 10 minutes from the epicenter in Yorba Linda today...I was on the phone with a client. I just stayed on the phone with him and he had no clue I was sitting thru an earthquake. They are never bad.

Our earthquakes, when they are hard, are usually bigger than the earthquakes most other countries deal with. They just have more people killed in theirs because their infrastructure and buildings are absolute #.

In earthquake protection, as in most aspects of life, America is the best. Thats why I will stay in California. If it does fall into the ocean, I will become a fracking mermaid. End of story

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
10:52 PM -Southern Cali. Dogs have been barking since sundown in our neighborhood. Not unusual, but the duration of the barks, and how many (hearing them in adjacent neighborhoods) not so normal. Even creepier, the crickets and cicadas that perform their nightly "choir" (that always have for years) are unusually quiet tonight.....you heard it here first ATS. 10:52 PM- Trabuco Canyon, CA.....TTYL ???

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The Nevada plants were built and the quakes started there also. What if all the small ones are going to add up to a big earth movement.

My thoughts exactly.

I looked at that article you linked to. I see a conflict as pertains to earthquake depth.

But because large earthquakes tend to originate at great depths, breaking rock that far down carries more serious risk, seismologists say. Seismologists have long known that human activities can trigger quakes, but they say the science is not developed enough to say for certain what will or will not set off a major temblor.

Source

Then found this.

Q: How does the depth of the earthquake effect the amount of damage? A: The depth of the earthquake has a very strong effect on the amount of damage. The 1994 M6.7 Northridge earthquake started at a depth of about 18 km (12 miles) and ruptured up to a depth of 5 km (3 miles). It caused damaged estimated to be between $20 billion and $40 billion and killed about 60 people. In contrast, the 2001 M6.8 Nisqually earthquake near Seattle occurred at a depth of 51 km (33 miles). No one was killed and damage was on the order of a few $million. A large part of this difference was the greater depth of the 2001 earthquake
Source

I surmise that the shallower the depth the more damage. Do you get the same?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If their is a huge earthquake we are not going in the damn sea.... Maybe places along the coast, but whatever, they aready know it. But i'd rather be on the coast and worry about a huge quake that could happen between now and a hundred years, than be somewhere else and worry about a tornader ripping my house to shreds EVERY year, or a hurricane flooding up the town....

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Okay. Well good luck with the next quake, you'll need it. If I get further information about EQs, I'll just keep it to myself. I won't be posting in any EQ threads ever again. Like I said, GOOD LUCK!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Update 2012-08-30 09:46:20 UTC – from the USGS for the same region of my previous post.

EQ with Magnitude +2.5
30days 247EQ / 5days 163EQ – 65% / 3days 32EQ – 13%
Frequencies of the EQ with Mag+2.5 are slowing down.

EQ with all Magnitude
30days 3932EQ / (5days 1066EQ – 27%) / (4days 950EQ – 24%) (3days 483EQ – 12%)
Frequencies of the EQ with all Magnitude (with relevance for the smaller ones) are suffering a minor increase.

A fast conclusion is that the bigger ones are slowing down transferring the release of energy to smaller ones that had a minor increase.

edit on 30-8-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I noticed the new USGS map has a jump to function and Peurto Rico has a tab all its own, like California.
That's kinda interesting all on its own, that it warrants a tab all its own. I critiqued database for last 500 quakes 2.5 and above. Results return for 5 days Aug 25- to now. 150+ events in 5 days above 2.5 Peurto Rico. I grabbed the KLM for Google Earth
eurto Rico. And as you can see. About 100 miles north east of San Juan, very concentrated area of quake swarms. And on the south side of the shelf if you will. That's a lot of deep water there!

edit on 30-8-2012 by Mister1k because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
well i was concerned about residents of cali which is why i posted this thread; to pass on what i'd heard, just incase anyone wanted to know...

but gotta say, after reading the nasty angry responses and accusations of fear mongering from so many on here, i have suddenly stopped caring...

maybe if i ever get info like this again next im i probably won't bother posting it. clearly it isn' appreciated by many here.

however, i also posted the thread cuz of the strange prophecy from the 1930s that i came accross which was the only reason i menioned cali going into the sea. that prophecy rattled me in light of the earthquake swarm, enough to post the thread just incase. and since it's supposed to be a conspiracy forum; even though members on here act like it's CNN or the judiciary panel for your PhD or something...

however i'm glad its all died down now apparently; and i am pleased as well. obviously i dont want anything bad to happen.

but you know, the prophecy also concerned residents on the east coast of Australia where i'm from. so too bad if you cali people don't like my thread. someone in oz might appreciate the information just incase. and being from oz myself, i care more about what they think...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bodybagPAT

you are hilarious. yeah, i do consider you dumb for living in cali and not fearing the next big one, because teh next big one IS a geological certainty in your area. quake experts around the world are waiting for it; as is anyone who knows anyhing about geology.

it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. it's like choosing to live underneath Mt Vesuvius (a volcano in Italy for any Americans here... i'm sorry but i was provoked into that by all your nastiness. Italy is the one shaped like a boot. =.) - eventually it's gonna erupt. well, eventually, the next big quake is gonna hit cali, just like it's gonna hit Tokyo; or anywhere sitting right on a major global faultline.

sorry to be mean...

nah, not really...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

Or to quote Patsy from the hit UK comedy series Absolutely Fabulous: (talking about LA/california)

'who wants to go jogging on a faultline? ...Pert t..ts and a tight backside, just so you can go plunging down a crack in the earth with confidence..."

he he . shouldn't laugh.

but i am still #ty....

*exits the forum in a sulk*
edit on 30-8-2012 by rapunzel222 because: bye bye...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
actually i've decided to apologise to anyone from california... after mature reflection...

if anything bad does ever happen to california and i was on here yelling at people from california i would definitely feel terrible...

so no matter what anyone says to me about the thread, i'm not gonna get mad.. at anyone from california...

the intent was to help anyway...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join