It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 plus earthquakes in California in last three days - ALERT

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I wish people would stop coming to threads based on fact, and saying "stop spreading fear"...

You mean "stop spreading truth"??

This swarm is real and we as "regulars" aren't privy to the "why" so I think skepticism is very healthy in this matter.

Is this the "fact" and "truth":

Originally posted by rapunzel222

personally i would get out of cali asap if you are there. i would be leaving Sydney too or getting an evac plan in place. the wave from such an event would be massive and i agree it would probably hit eastern australia imo.

edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by voyger2

I wish people would stop coming to threads based on fact, and saying "stop spreading fear"...

This swarm is real and we as "regulars" aren't privy to the "why" so I think skepticism is very healthy in this matter.

Is this the "fact" and "truth":

personally i would get out of cali asap if you are there. i would be leaving Sydney too or getting an evac plan in place. the wave from such an event would be massive and i agree it would probably hit eastern australia imo.

BASED on fact... Lemme give you a quick english lesson...

If one takes a fact (in this case, 500 quakes) and after discussing that inserts their own take on it (the evac and what not)... Then that does not take away from something being based on fact.

It's not hard to separate fact from the OP's opinion.
edit on 28-8-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Why is everyone on this thread? Shouldn't they go and prepare for an earthquake or something?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

please sir... if you can be kind and contribut to the so called fact... please publish the list of those 500 E.Q for the last 3days.

thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

please sir... if you can be kind and contribut to the so called fact... please publish the list of those 500 E.Q for the last 3days.

thanks in advance.

I'll let the LA Times tell you...

Not to mention the very popular ATS Thread

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
reply to post by rapunzel222

Instead of psychologically coping with Earthquakes that have yet to happen, why not get prepared, pray, meditate, and eat vegan?

maybe i already do all of the above?

if it's all the same though, i prefer to cope with my natural disasters before they happen... it's just a quirk i have...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

thanks in advance.

well i have to agree there are lot's of quakes... but if you consider that LA is located in fault line you should agree that's normal to have minor quakes ... as can be proven here in the list of the US Geological Survey's

and I never read anywhere 500 EQ in that article... but i read this:

But experts say the swarm does not necessarily indicates a larger temblor is on the way

and

But for all the ground movement, experts said there is no evidence the earthquake swarms were a precursor to much larger quakes on longer, more dangerous faults. And scientists don't see any immediate signs of added pressure to the San Andreas fault, which is not far from the location of the earthquake swarm.

this is also a fact that wasn't mentioned.

thanks'

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

reply to post by voyger2

oh good god. get a grip. iwould rather be told just incase. if you dont appreciate the heads up, i really couldnt care less. dont be afraid...

who says you got to be afraid anyway? spreading fear my arse.

if you live in california you're DUMB if you dont fear the next big one. you're on a freaking fault line.

Calm down... I shared my thought as you ... no need to provoke...

i am perfectly calm. you did provoke me however by saying i was spreading fear. as if my intent is somehow to come online and 'spread fear'? that's just bizarre. and kind of offensive to me. why would i want to do that?

i came onliine only to report something interesting i heard which i thought might be something other people might want to know about. especially in light of all the psychic predictions i've read lately about cali;and because if i was in cali, i would want to know if someone had the information i was just given.

people can make of it what they will. it probably is nothing to worry about. i would want to know that's all; and that's the only reason i posted. if people do not want to know they can just ignore the thread. it's a free country.

seems to have all died down in any case from the other thread on this i just read.

oh and btw... peoples.... my father works in australia... so it's nothing to do with him...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
let me add this also...

In fact, some swarms in the '60s and '70s included "many thousands" of earthquakes, but the largest quakes during those sequences topped out at a magnitude 5.

"Swarms are fairly typical for this region," U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Elizabeth Cochran said. The last significant swarm occurred in 2005, when the largest quake was a 5.1. After a few days of quakes, the shaking tapered off.

Before this weekend's swarm, in which the top magnitudes were a 5.5 and 5.3 on Sunday, the most powerful swarm to hit the region was in 1981, when the most powerful quake reached 5.8.

There are a couple of reasons the Brawley seismic zone is prone to earthquake swarms

source
editby]edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

thanks in advance.

well i have to agree there are lot's of quakes... but if you consider that LA is located in fault line you should agree that's normal to have minor quakes ... as can be proven here in the list of the US Geological Survey's

and I never read anywhere 500 EQ in that article... but i read this:

But experts say the swarm does not necessarily indicates a larger temblor is on the way

and

But for all the ground movement, experts said there is no evidence the earthquake swarms were a precursor to much larger quakes on longer, more dangerous faults. And scientists don't see any immediate signs of added pressure to the San Andreas fault, which is not far from the location of the earthquake swarm.

this is also a fact that wasn't mentioned.

thanks'

FIRST

Certainly, the weekend's quakes were troubling for Imperial County, which is located in one of California's most earthquake prone regions. More than 400 earthquakes have been detected since Saturday evening

SECOND

LA doesn't have 400 quakes in 3 days hence why there's a news story on it!

THIRD

WHEN have "experts" not served an agenda or had a .gov email address???

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

er no, the first part was my OPINION about the fact that i wouldn't live in california. that's not spreading fear, it's clearly stating my own opinion about something.

the second part was saying i happen to agree with the psychic that IF part of cali DID go into the sea, the resulting tsunami would probably be massive. that's just a matter of geology and science... and most scientists would probably agree wiht my statement.

i never claimed the statement was correct, however, i said i agreed with someoene, i.e. again, expressing an opinion....

not making a prediction. as i clearly stated.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I understand your "quirk," but it maybe that all the psychics and predictions are wrong. It could be something else.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

unfortunately any thread that is some sort of possible warning and gets a few flags is almost guaranteed to get the standard "don't fear monger" response which then also gets stars. i personally find the catch phrase "fear mongering" very annoying

i LIKE reading threads like this. it's half the reason i come here.

i appreciate the OP's alert and i do think it is cause for concern. it might just pass and nothing will happen OR something big could come of it. who the hell knows. it's not fear mongering to be cautious and concerned about a very real threat.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
and it's a FACT that there either MAY or MAY NOT be something to worry about.

anyone who's done any geology or has an interest in earth sciences (as i do, i nearly became a geologist or volcanologist actually) knows that multiple foreshocks can mean a big one is coming.

or they may not.

but speculation on an unsual event like this one is not at all out of line. and a big one following such a swarm is not at all impossible. it is very possible. although may not happen.

the swarm was an unusual geological event for cali. hence the news articles and concern of many people.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR

I understand your "quirk," but it maybe that all the psychics and predictions are wrong. It could be something else.

er, okay, and when did i ever say that a big event was definitely going to happen or that the psychic were right?

never actually. if you bothered to read my OP properly

all i said was if i was in cali i would get out now. which i would. that is, my dear, an OPINION....

and i'm getting a bit over this silly argument to be honest. whether you are trying to draw me into an argument i dont know but i think i'm done with it...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I did read your thread, I even helped you with the first couple posts. I just don't understand so many EQ predictions.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

This one will be my last post for this matter .. enough is enough...

for me this:

personally i would get out of cali asap if you are there. i would be leaving Sydney too or getting an evac plan in place.

is spreding fear.

knowing that:

"Swarms are fairly typical for this region," U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Elizabeth Cochran said. The last significant swarm occurred in 2005, when the largest quake was a 5.1. After a few days of quakes, the shaking tapered off.

thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
oh well gee that'[s a relief. you'[re gonna finally leave a thread that you don't agree with.

so posting someone's opinion online about their fear of earthquakes and what they would do if they thought a big one was coming is *quote* spreading fear, now is it?

people can't cope psychologically with someone else's opinion?

people must be very precious and delicate these days, that's all i can say.

and whatever you say; earthquake swarms of this size are NOT "NORMAL" events at all. they are quite rare in fact. and MAY precede a big quake. geologically speaking this is correct i'm afraid. therefore speculation is legitimate; and since when is it a crime to speculate on a CONSPIRACY FORUM?

sorry is this CNN, i hadn't realised?

good grief.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

whatevs...

i'm off to plant my garden or something...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Over 500 earthquakes in 3 days.

Is that official?

I was just wondering has there actually been 500 EARTHQUAKES.

Whats the difference between an EARTHQUAKE and a TREMOR?

Would most of the 500 not simply be Tremors?

I figured if there was no damage it was a tremor. So if there was 500 earthquakes there should be massive damage all over the place yet there seems to be very little coverage of damage for this huge number of quakes.

I'm no expert, just curious.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join