It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Best Vehicles for the End of the World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Any of these fancy rides can fail. You can run out of fuel. Get a few tire punctures. Fall into a sinkhole. Catch a few 50 cal rounds to the engine, etc... Plus even with off road capabilities the streets will likely be impassable by most vehicles. I would use a 4x4 whenever posible but a good dirtbike or ATV would be much more mobile and it would be easier to fit through tight spaces. IF TSHF your Bug out Vehicle could easily be disabled and you will have to choose whatever is available. I would start with the basics and get a good pair of combat boots and break them in by walking a few miles every evening. Chances are if TSHF you will spend more time walking than anything else. Oh yeah better have plenty of socks in your BOB. You will need to change them often. If your Bug out Vehicle fails you can walk. But if your feet fail you are fecked...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'd just use cars short term as I wouldn't venture too far out of the city unless it got crazy.
Speed would be a necessity i'd think until you went for the hills, then it's jeeps/land rovers all the way.
When the hills get too crazy, time to think about finding a boat to sail somewhere along the coast until you get boarded by pirates or a rogue coast guard.
Either way, you are only using these vehicles as temporary mobility tools in whatever assignment you're tasked.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
No vehicle would be worth a brass farthing if the end of the world involved EMP of any kind.

Many of the scenarios that you mentioned would make all modern electronics (including ignition systems) immediately inoperable.

My ideal end of the world vehicle? My two feet, or a mountain bike.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Firstly you may want a pre 1996 car without an ECU that would get fried by an EMP burst.

I don't have that. I do have plans to faraday cage the fuse boxes, and starter on my FJ

cruiser. Any FJ like vehicle will do, with some key mods (ie., tire upgrade, stainless steel

muffler, kevlar in the right places, light upgrades, and of course my FLIR nightvision)

The Raptor is however, the ultimate survival vehicle for the prosumer.

Yes, a minimog like in the Thor movie would be great, but i don't have $500k to spend.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
"make a wish... "
the combine harvesters

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

With a little extra welding or AR plate and a bigger fuel tank, i could stack zombies all week!
Those tires are man high.....not much stops em.....and who cares if theres EMP? this thing is so simple electrically itll never die....
Only bad drawback is it isnt very stealthy with a 4/53 GMC motor......kinda loud....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
No fuel, and nowhere to charge a battery, so all I could think of is foot powered car.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Most of the choices STINK

They have computer chips any emp blast from a nuke would render them useless.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have to agree that petroleum based vehicles would quickly become useless in an apocalyptic scenario. I'm thinking that if you must be on the move then animal power will be the way to go. This would enable you to move fairly large amounts of supplies as long as you traveled in areas that allowed for water & grazing.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No matter what you chose to flee a bad situation with; there will be plenty of armed people on foot hidden in the bushes to blow your brains out and steal your ride.

Watch and read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

Best to just stay home and get drunk!!

edit on 28-8-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Invest in a horse, a car won't get you far during the end of the world, how long till there is no more gas to find? When gas powered trucks stop bringing gasoline to gas stations, where will you get gas?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
lets say fuel might still be available in some form during the zombie apocalypse or other end of the world scenario my first choice is Cadillac Escalade "go in style" my second choice is more practical

what do you think ?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I had to chime in on this....

If fuel is available then I think an SUV is best. Something with 4x4 is a must. I have mine but I'm not gonna say what is on here. But without a fuel source everyone will be totally dry in like 1 yr. You won't be able to even buy fuel anymore or very very rare.

So that leaves the good ole mountain bike. I think there's a lot to be said about a mountain bike. The only challenge being having some spare tires, tools, hand pump and knowing how to change it. Cuz a bike will last a good 10 years easy, 20 if you take care of it. So for short distance travel say within a town or city it's perfect.

Like often when I've visited other cities and I want to tour the city, I find a bike. I don't care where or what it looks like, rental or whatever. Just get a bike. Cuz what you need is wheels. Just such an idea form of transportation. No worrying about parking. You use the sidewalk or the road. Costs you nothing. You get a work out. It's awsome!

So I think if the SHTF bikes would be very popular. There would be no fuel so cars would be useless anyway. And it's not just the fuel, you need other fluides, auto repair knowledge, and other stuff to keep it going. And if there's an EM - pee your screwed.

I think there's tons to be said about a bike. Like you can still travel 10km per day easy. 20 if you really had to. So that means you could get long distances too but it would just take you longer to get there. So it might take you a month to travel 500km. But that's a long distance. A car you can do that on 1 tank of gas but where would you get the gas?

Then there's always this...

edit on 28-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Some very surprising picks on that list, some interesting ones and a few others that would not interest me much.

After seeing what the "experts" recommend I'll just stick with what I got, a 2007 Kia Sportage I bought new. This little economy SUV is made by the world's number four largest-selling automaker and has the best warranty in the business. Good luck getting warranty service during SHTF scenarios but it translates to reliability and I've had to do nothing but add gas, change oil and fluids, and a change of tires this past five years. It's got a short wheelbase, good ground clearance, and a few comforts to go along with it. Front passenger seat folds forward flat so I can stretch out and sleep inside comfortably.

OK, plenty of other good choices out there to choose from that would work well, but the mix of economy, reliability, road and off-roadability has done me quite nicely. This is the one that I run around Mexico in, my home, and it has been to some places here that I doubt few on this forum would argue don't look like they are not somewhere near the end of the world.

edit on 29-8-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

The Tardis of course :-p

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
if your after a bit more style..THE DELOREAN

oops i got a dodgy photo, this seems to be a toy, but you get the point... lol
edit on 18/02/2011 by ellbell because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/02/2011 by ellbell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Give me this:

(yes it's a concept - but it does exist)

And this:

And I'll be safely in the country, avoiding the roads, while those of you in tanks, jeeps, and cars, are having to cope with this:

~Heff

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

MY F150 4x4 38" Tires, detachable 4500lb winch and converted to run on either gas or propane, lots of propane will be left hanging around. Better shelf life tha gas. I almost forgot the gun rack.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Assuming you had the fuel, I would choose THE KILLDOZER!

Killdozer Photo

If you never ran out of fuel, you wouldn't ever have to worry about anything. Ever.
edit on 29-8-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

For those not familiar with the story of the Killdozer: Killdozer Wiki

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

This is a great topic Semper ! I live in the high desert out here in So.Cal. So this is what I should be look'in at.

That famous walk a mile flavor.
Say that to the next transient you roll up on.

I think it's important to know that while there are various vehicles to employ in yon scenario.

Love is the only engine for survival.

SnF

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join