It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Best Vehicles for the End of the World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I think the running theme here is Jeeps.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
this is a clip from my short story, my car, in reality my ATSRO van is ready to go. Sans EMP's

“It’s gotta 426 stroker kit, mechanical pump fuel injected, Reb, it has a mag for ignition. It’s 580 bullet proof horse power built NASCAR style. And while we are at it, you have Nationwide suspension under side, an 80 gallon fuel cell system built into the trunk and rear seat floor boards. The rear seat has been removed and decked, see how this opens?” Boots continued, “ 12 gauge defender 00 buck shot and slugs.” Reb “Yeah, I see that.” Boots “ Oh yeah, almost forgot, I put a twin Master cylinder in for you and look here, see these 2 gauges?” Reb “ Oh I know what those are, that’s front and back break pressure, how do I adjust them?” Boots “ right here” pointing to a switch between the gauges “ toggle front gives you 65% front breaking, toggle back and you have 65% rear breaking” Reb ”gottcha , oh, what’s the redline? And rev limiter?” Boots “ 9250 rpms is where the limiter is set. Come on Reb , pay attention, Its NASCAR all the way.”

my dream apococar would be a jeep wrangler with a turbo diesel in it.

ETA: any Vets know about the Nissan Patrol.....anybody see them stateside, now those things are bullet proof.

edit on 28-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by YachtDoc13

But if the world has ended, there won't be any fuel. Or people. Or animals. Or anything else.

Just a space where Earth was.

"You'd think you could bring along a chair, and sit down, but you'd be wrong. You'd be right back where you started. Standing in the sky, falling... without a chair!" - Dana Carvey as Paul McCartney on "Paul McCartney's Global Warming Christmas Special (SNL) (Ahhh... classic.)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

End of the world scenario Regarding Fuel Energy:

I postulate that there will be no oil available to civilians at that point in time. That is if your really talking about a real end of the world scenario. Therefore the best vehicles will be bycicles, horses, electrical dune buggies and make-shift cars that run on hydrogen or an alternate energy source that would be available.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

No oil available to civis? How is that even possible? Are they going to gaurd every fast food joint and abandoned car in the country? What about quick lubes? Better post up at the grocery stores too...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Im not sure about the "top 10" but my best are a pair of 15's that will go as long as I can. See yall out on the road.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I think the running theme here is Jeeps.

Nope. The running theme is "A car could be used for shelter, but in the absence of readily available fuel, would have little further use."

I think the article used in the OP skirted the important points behind the topic. In a situation where there is no establishment, few people left, etc... You have very little use for a motorized vehicle. Even if you have fuel, in the absence of road maintenance, it takes very little time (months) for potholes to form, and plants to begin breaking up any asphalt surfaces. Weather conditions will speed this process.

I think the article was targeted to people who will be comforted by possessions.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by YachtDoc13
reply to post by Egyptia

No oil available to civis? How is that even possible? Are they going to gaurd every fast food joint and abandoned car in the country? What about quick lubes? Better post up at the grocery stores too...

Okay... then after day two, when all of those places have been ransacked... then there will be no oil available to civilians. Getting it from cars will be great... to get where you're going initially. But then, you should use the dead carcass of your car for shelter, or to help barricade the place where you end up.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Fortune favors the bold.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I got my hands on this 95' model ambulance just after Katrina. Some paint, tires, lights, winch, and a kick butt stereo is all it needed.

Makes a great camper for two, and people definitely get out of your way.
edit on 28-8-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Now Im impressed

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This thread resurrects itself again and again, every few months. And every few months, the same people point out the obvious - FUEL!!!

Folks, your best mode of transport duing SHTF is your boots! Invest in an excellent pair of walking boots. You're going to need them! There is no gas station where we're going!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
This thread resurrects itself again and again, every few months. And every few months, the same people point out the obvious - FUEL!!!

Folks, your best mode of transport duing SHTF is your boots! Invest in an excellent pair of walking boots. You're going to need them! There is no gas station where we're going!

One tank of gas (7.3 powerstroke diesel), would get me pretty far from where I am now. And if I found the right spot, I could hide it with debris and live in it for a while, It has an on-board power inverter and 1 good solar panel will keep the 2 batteries hot.
edit on 28-8-2012 by tanda7 because: reword

Naysayers gonna naysay I guess.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

No picture, but my Clark 666 Ranger outdoes every manufactured 4x4 exxcept for speed, but itll do 40 mph down hill......
not that youd enjoy it.....
Its a one passenger vehicle though but packs a Mod 19 winch that will lower the machine over a cliff if you have the line and a place to hang it....
Will run on fish oil or corn oil just as well as diesel, and has no electronic brain but your own.....
4 cyl GMC diesel....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

No picture, but my Clark 666 Ranger outdoes every manufactured 4x4 exxcept for speed, but itll do 40 mph down hill......
not that youd enjoy it.....
Its a one passenger vehicle though but packs a Mod 19 winch that will lower the machine over a cliff if you have the line and a place to hang it....
Will run on fish oil or corn oil just as well as diesel, and has no electronic brain but your own.....
4 cyl GMC diesel....

I like it. But you better hope we get the slow, dumb zombies.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
I would choose this bad boy...

latino.foxnews.com...

I know, it's not off the shelf, but hey... I'm sure me, the A-Team and Macgyver could knock one up in a few hours

edit on 28-8-2012 by II HAL II because: (no reason given)

Either way, that thing is cool!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ill stick with my GMC kingcab 4x4 in my avatar. It has a 6in lift, skid plates and I just put 37in military tires on it. Its a true 4wheel drive that Ive had in some pretty hairy places and some deep mud. Ive always made it out of the situations I was in.

Im not saying that it will not get stuck, because anything will get stuck under the right circumstances. But as a bugout vehicle, it will get me back in the hills where Im going and then I can live out of it for as long as I have to.

edit on 8/28/12 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Sailboat. Bicycle. Horse.

There won't be any fuel. Duh.

This.

The first thing I thought was a good sturdy mountain bike. Diesel vehicles may be an option if you have the means to find/convert vegetable oil (discarded restaurant oil for example) for fuel... other than that, your bigass gas guzzlin' SUV is pretty much useless.

Short term you may have the use of a gas powered vehicle but beyond that, invest in a bike rack and put something in it

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
if its the end of the world we'd all be dead.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Sailboat. Bicycle. Horse.

There won't be any fuel. Duh.

There won't be anyone to USE the fuel that's sitting in tanks all over the country. All you need is a siphon hose. That's why my Duramax diesel (with the Allison) will work just fine. If I can't find diesel (highly unlikely) I'll just pull up to a McDonalds and use the frier oil. The Duramax will burn just about anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join