It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Explodes Over South Wales Last Night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
A meteorite exploded over South Wales last night, according to reports on my local Radio station, lots of callers reporting huge explosion and people say they saw an orange fireball.

At around 11.10pm, people across the UK reported seeing a bright light travelling across the skies which allegedly exploded near Cwmbran.

Police said they were not aware of the incident, but dozens of Twitter users and people on meteor forum Meteorite News said the bright light stayed within view for between three and eight seconds as it travelled.

Nathan Jones from St Athan, writing on Meteorite News, said: “After about eight seconds I lost line of sight due to houses.

“I saw an object, I can’t specify what, with a heat trail behind. It was orange and white and very bright, and also seemed very close, not that I could see.

“Never seen something so amazing in my life. It looked like it was skimming through the atmosphere due to the curved path it was taking.”

Hannah Sabido said it looked like a “bright white ball with a long bright tail and possibly a green hue”.

She said: “It became more orange towards the North East, giving off orange sparks before bursting out.

“There was no sound distinguishable above background. It began brighter than the moon. It was first noticed as a very bright glowing light behind cloud, ravelling very fast.”

T Doran, of New Brighton, Wirral, Merseyside, wrote: “We were on the beach walking towards the sea wall, facing the South East and it travelled from right to left across the sky.

“It just appeared in the sky, then the view was obscured by the sea wall.

“It was silent, a large orange and white globe with a long straight green tail.”

More media Latest Meteor News

Anyone see or hear this?

A lot going on over Wales last few weeks i myself reported UFO's and Crop Circle UFO reported only a few days ago with video, who says this was a Meteor??
edit on 28-8-2012 by bsalert because: added txt

Another interesting and possible related story form 6 days earlier

"Meteor shower is blamed for false alarm sea search" Read More
edit on 28-8-2012 by bsalert because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2012 by bsalert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I'd be interested to see some other eye witness accounts, as none of the above mentioned it exploding. You have my attention!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bsalert

Any chance you could link to the source you were quoting from in your OP please.

These sightings are becoming more common over the UK, either more people are paying attention, or there is actually an increase.

Interesting stuff.

EDIT: Nevermind, found this..... Me teorite 'size of golf ball' believed to have exploded over South Wales

Second Edit: Uncomfirmed rumour it hit Tescos
ahh well, every little helps....

edit on 28/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This is my hometown any more information that can be found and i will go looking for it, i heard it last night it was loud enough to shake the windows and make the house shudder.
Well if it was the size of a golf ball, i hate to think what the size of a grapefruit would do.
This was strong enough to shake the house 2+ miles from the town centre.
edit on 28-8-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsalert
reply to post by OpenEars123

see Local Media

Thanks, but this link and the one in your op doesn't have any eye witness accounts in them. I would research the story myself, but im on my crappy phone that doesn't like to work properly.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

See my post two up.............link to the OP story there.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Anyone fancy helping me get the eyewitness accounts and a map to see if we can pinpoint a search area?.
I'll post some pics of the local area and add them to the thread just to give some more points of interest to the thread.

edit on 28-8-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

Here you go...................

That's just a guess by me btw, based on reports from "eyewitnesses", depends on how reliable they are.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by The X

Here you go...................

That's just a guess by me btw, based on reports from "eyewitnesses", depends on how reliable they are.

Thanks man, i have been trying to plot using google earth but as soon as i drop a marker anywhere near my own home, it stops working for some reason, i can drop them anywhere i like and it keeps working, but, as soon as i place one near my house, it stalls and makes my pc crash.
Highly strange.

This is the fourth meteor i know about here in the last 18 months, one hit the side of the house first around 18 months ago causing some very minor damage, then i saw one streak to ground around 7-8 months ago, came in vertically, also, another one that was bright red that had come in on a very flat trajectory, it flew past me at about 4-5000 feet in the air glowing like an electric three bar fire, no supersonic boom or anything so travelling at sub sonic speed and looked to be around the size of a football at least, i have a rough idea of where it went to and will go and spend some time hunting it down, and lastly this one last night.

Tescos is just up the road from here around a mile away, i will go and spend some time looking for a piece of it this afternoon.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

There was one a couple of years back that traveled north to south over pretty much the whole country. It was seen in Scotland, here in Cumbria and as far south as Cornwall.

I've been into astronomy as long as I can remember and I've never known of sightings this frequently, but that might be something as simple as seeing the reports on internet, so see them more often, kind of like earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Spoke to my father inlaw who lives in Cwmbran South Wales he heard a huge bang/explosion around the 11pm last night, said the windows vibrated and some car alarms in his local car park went off!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I saw it from the east coast of Ireland last night, i saw a green bright white light out over the sea! think i only caught the end of it!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Funny thing how most meteors appear in the night...
Wasn't exactly the Tungsta event was it

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It has made it onto the RSOE site as a space event:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

And here is a BBC report:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Big badaaboom,but thankfully not too big.

Edit:
Oh the hilarity-Lembit Opik the oddball ex MP thinks the object was between three and five metres in size...
That is some golf ball Lembit!

edit on 28/8/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: added words to post

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Right over my home and I didn't see a thing. Argh.

Typical.

Kudos to those who saw it, I bet it was unearthly and brilliant.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this bsalert

No luck here I'm afraid. I keep missing the big ones...

Since sonic booms were heard, there's a chance something made it down to the surface, but it sounds like another earth grazing fireball, and that makes predicting the area where pieces may have come down very hard.

It's also possible, though not certain, that any meteorites that survived might be sitting at the bottom of the sea (probably off the South coast somewhere I think if that's the case).

Originally posted by bsalert
A lot going on over Wales last few weeks i myself reported UFO's and Crop Circle UFO reported only a few days ago with video, who says this was a Meteor??[

A few hundred people... but whilst it looked like a meteor, and behaved like a meteor in general by the sound of the reports, I suppose there is always the slim chance that it was not a meteor.

But this presents a problem... if things that look and behave like meteors are now going to be described as "not meteors", how do we tell apart the "real" meteors?

On many occasions in past history, events with similar characteristics to this one have yielded meteorites. Why should/would this event be any different in nature?

Have you studied any similar cases?

I've got a few (older) links saved that might be useful:

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada
Huge Fireball Reported Over Madison, WI!
UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Edit:
Oh the hilarity-Lembit Opik the oddball ex MP thinks the object was between three and five metres in size...
That is some golf ball Lembit!

I think it may be that someone described the meteor as appearing to be the size of a golfball at arms length perhaps? I could be wrong, but that makes more sense to me.

Lembit Opik's estimate for the actual size of the object would be much more in line with my experience of events like this in the past. Something the size of a golf ball would have very little chance of making it down deep enough into the atmosphere for sonic booms to be heard, and descriptions of the brightness seem way out of line for an object that small too.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
Funny thing how most meteors appear in the night...

Maybe it's because the sun catches all the others for us. In order to hit us at daytime the object have to fly towards us from the direction of our sun. I guess the gravity of our sun is so high that these objects just get sucked up there.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I live near the area this happened, the meteor is said to have exploded over Cwmbran, South Wales. Do meteors explode??

Indeed there has been an increase in activity in the skies of South Wales, I have noticed a lot happening since 2008. UFO's are becoming increasingly common in this area though the general public don't really seem to be very aware. I spend a lot of time in my back garden in the nights looking up so I get to notice things that other people don't and I've spotted some very unusual phenomena.

As to whether this was a meteor I really couldn't say, but the days leading up to this event have been peculiar. The weather in this area has been very strange indeed, one or two nights prior to this event I had heard what sounded like bombs dropping but I hadn't heard any explosions afterwards. A few minutes later there was a helicopter out with searchlights being beamed down to the town centre. About 15 minutes later there were about 5 helicopters circling back and forth which is unusual when we don't officially even have 5 helicopters!

I'm pretty sure there's something going on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join