It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity sends back first high- resolution colour picture of Mars+First voice ever heard on Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
"show sharp tilts"

re reading this again i almost thought this said something else ^^

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

"The colour contrast has been adjusted by NASA – the original is covered with a yellow-orangey hue – in order to make the photo reflect what Mars would look like if it had the same level of natural sunlight as does Earth"

why even do this , it just doesnt make any sense, WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE EARTH?

and where is the pic that should be next to it showing us what it really looks like... sounds like a BS excuse to me. also i do not think they are the same photo

static.guim.co.uk...

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

the supposed original has a giant black spec in middle, the other version does not, or at least i cannot find it.

really, does nasa really believe that the people of earth want a 100 billion doallar program to send us pictures back of something that looks like earth, or something that looks like FREAKIN MARS lol, hell why not color it in with rainbows so i can pretend im tripping on mars while were at it.

its like the more they release the less i believe, im going to start scouring new mexico /india /afghanastan for possible mountain ranges lol

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by HighMaintenance

"The colour contrast has been adjusted by NASA – the original is covered with a yellow-orangey hue – in order to make the photo reflect what Mars would look like if it had the same level of natural sunlight as does Earth"

why even do this , it just doesnt make any sense, WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE EARTH?

and where is the pic that should be next to it showing us what it really looks like... sounds like a BS excuse to me. also i do not think they are the same photo

static.guim.co.uk...

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

the supposed original has a giant black spec in middle, the other version does not, or at least i cannot find it.

really, does nasa really believe that the people of earth want a 100 billion doallar program to send us pictures back of something that looks like earth, or something that looks like FREAKIN MARS lol, hell why not color it in with rainbows so i can pretend im tripping on mars while were at it.

its like the more they release the less i believe, im going to start scouring new mexico /india /afghanastan for possible mountain ranges lol

Hi, all this has been adressed earlier in the thread, but I'll try to explain it again for you.

Unedited Curiosity images can be found here: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
The black spec is a piece of dust or dirt that got onto the lens while they were testing in on Earth.

They balance the colours to be like natural light on Earth because it helps them analyse the terrain. Also, if you were to stand on Mars, your eyes would adjust to the predominantly orange/yellow light and the scene would look closer to the colour-adjusted images. And if you took a photo on Mars using a consumer digital camera, it would do the colour-balancing automatically for you.

Here's the catalogue page for the said image, with both the raw and colour-balanced versions: photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

Well, Curiosity has been sent up there to do science, and those images are part of that science. It wasn't sent up there to please the public or solely for pictures (although those images do provide good public outreach). Besides, colour-balanced or no, those images ARE from Mars, and they look freaking awesome.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
why is the sky white?

Two words, and then three words, "Money Laundering" and then "Bonneville Salt Flats".

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
"Well, Curiosity has been sent up there to do science, and those images are part of that science."

then why show the false first?

either way, ill be dead before we know anything for real or not anyways, hell people are still fighting over the moon and im 34 now lol.....

"The black spec is a piece of dust or dirt that got onto the lens while they were testing in on Earth."

they are not on the second pic
edit on 31-1-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
here ya go!

why is the sky white?
edit on 28-8-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

overcast weather with a bit of rain later on

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Colour-balanced images aren't false. Almost every digital photo you see that was taken on Earth has been colour-balanced automatically by the camera. You need a professional DSLR, set to take images in RAW format, to get unbalanced images like Curiosity does.

And nothing is preventing you from going to mars.jpl.nasa.gov... and seeing the raw images as soon as they are uploaded, regardless of whether they are used for public press releases. The data is out there for the public to see and examine.

"The black spec is a piece of dust or dirt that got onto the lens while they were testing in on Earth." they are not on the second pic

Then they were edited out. I see nothing wrong with that.
edit on 31-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

"And nothing is preventing you from going to mars.jpl.nasa.gov... and seeing the raw images as soon as they are uploaded, regardless of whether they are used for public press releases. The data is out there for the public to see and examine."

true enough

"Colour-balanced images aren't false. Almost every digital photo you see that was taken on Earth has been colour-balanced automatically by the camera."

which is exactly why i wouldnt want the same to look on mars? and technically it is false, its not seeing what the camera is actually seeing such as blk and white, its making the colors up as it see through filters, closest thing to reality we have , but still false ^^

"You need a professional DSLR, set to take images in RAW format, to get unbalanced images like Curiosity does."

which is why i wouldnt want it messed with in first place ^^

but you are right, can just go to the website and download for self i guess.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join