It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity sends back first high- resolution colour picture of Mars+First voice ever heard on Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
How is that image even remotely "high resolution"?

www.nasa.gov...
This one is a bit better.

It looks strange thou, what's with the dark bits? Strange shadows? Is it some kind of filter on the pictures causing this effect? It's most obvious at the bottom of the picture close to the camera, looks like oil lol.

Anyone know what this is about?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: well after reading phage post about the image this post doesn't matter anymore

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Its amazing what they are doing, but I have to agree with the others who question the quality of the image. The quality is a bit disappointing, maybe those are not the actual HD ones?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Here's what's interesting.

I uploaded the picture to one of these Error Level Analysis websites and it came up with an evenly distributed pattern for the mountains and ground, while the sky was completely black. Since I'm not really knowledgeable regarding Photo analysis, I looked up their sample, which you can find HERE

And the background of the girls photo looks exactly like the sky on the NASA photo when you apply ELA .. and it goes on to say:

In this picture, the background is completely black, but the person is not. That means that the background is at a different quality level compared to the rest of the picture; the background was digitally modified. In this case, it was enhanced to make the white look brighter.

You can simply go to their front-page and paste the url of the original NASA photo into the form to see what I'm referring to.

So, does that mean NASA digitally enhanced the sky and made it brighter while not modifying the rest of the picture ? And if so, why ?

edit on 28-8-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: Added picture for demonstration purposes.

edit on 28-8-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I had the HDR picasa filter to the image and found this result:
(it seems like a very slow slurry movement [but probably its only small rock fragments / dust sliding down by the old fashion gravitational way] ^.^
I notice behind the small hill in the center a kind of concentric slide of the hills... like a sinking case)

edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: image upload

edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Very interesting indeed, and I hope someone with some photography analysis can provide some clarification.

However, before I even looked at your analysis I had questioned why the sky was so bright compared to the rest of the image.

Great find.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I heard on Coast to Coast that Nasa plans on sending a new Will I Am music back to Earth via Radio waves, not Voice. But still a weird thing to do, And pretty much a waste of time. Wonder how much that costs.???

I think they are testing everything they can test for a posible future manned mission.

Cool pic

Are those pyramids

edit on 28-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Yes, those are pyramids, and that is a dome in the mid to upper right.
But I kid.... I think.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The image is a crop from this image:
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

If you want a "cleaner" image you can download the tiff version:
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

The difference between this image and earlier images is that the 100mm "zoom" lens is being used. To give you an idea of what you are looking at here are the points of interest with their distances from the MSL marked.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I heard on Coast to Coast that Nasa plans on sending a new Will I Am music back to Earth via Radio waves, not Voice. But still a weird thing to do, And pretty much a waste of time. Wonder how much that costs.???

I think they are testing everything they can test for a posible future manned mission.

Cool pic

Are those pyramids

edit on 28-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

I saw a tv show on the Curiousity landing a few weeks ago and they mentioned that a company in Sweden ( or maybe Swiss) is aiming to send man to MARS in 2026. They are working with different companies to bring together special Martian suits that would allow man to walk around comfortably. They are also going to be building some form of greenhouse that would provide all the necessities that we would need such as air, water, food, etc).

However the downfall to this mission would be that whomever arrives in MARS will be unable to come back. So once you are there, you are there till you die. There is no coming back to Earth.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Looking at the photo it almost looks as if it's someones first attempt at making a cgi landscape in photoshop. To me it just doesn't look real.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
LMAO so this is what I was told to wait for huh?

Weeks ago I stated how ridiculous the first few snapshots they showed us were (resolution, depth, etc.)

Nearly everyone flamed me and told me to just wait for the higher res photos that would be released in the coming few weeks/days.

If this is what you waited for then the jokes on you.

edit on 8/28/2012 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Thrace

thats what i thought too, its a weird pic, like a painting or something. it also looks like new mexico or up around saint george utah .

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

well who did this panorama picture solar day nr.2 actually made a good job.

it would be nice to view more like that one

edit on 28-8-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

I think this is the company that you were referring to:
mars-one.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
someone posted that mars is mainly carbon dioxide.

plants convert carbon dioxide into oxygen thru photosynthesis.

so it would be theoretically possible to plant trees that require very little water to start converting the planet to earth like conditions.

i think that is were human research should take space exploration.

but earth is run by fools with little brains, imagination or ambition.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

so it would be theoretically possible to plant trees that require very little water to start converting the planet to earth like conditions.

Yes. Mars' atmosphere is 95% CO2. But that doesn't mean there is a lot of it.
You might have a hard time finding any trees that would survive at an altitude of 100,000 feet. That's the Earth altitude equivalent of the atmospheric pressure on the surface of Mars. Actually, it's hard to find any trees on Earth much above 12,000 feet.

but earth is run by fools with little brains, imagination or ambition.
But at least the scientists who work on such things understand the problems.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
here ya go!

why is the sky white?
edit on 28-8-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

martian chemtrails. its not just an earth conspiracy...
edit on 28-8-2012 by zyrktec because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
why is the sky white?

I don't really know why, but on most of the photos from the previous rovers that I colour corrected show a light blue or white sky.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
It looks strange thou, what's with the dark bits? Strange shadows? Is it some kind of filter on the pictures causing this effect? It's most obvious at the bottom of the picture close to the camera, looks like oil lol.

Anyone know what this is about?

Dust, extremely fine blue dust. It appears in many photos from Mars, both from the ground or from satellites.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Anyone else see elvis on the rocks or is it just me?
Lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join