It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity sends back first high- resolution colour picture of Mars+First voice ever heard on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures of Mars now coming in from the rover. This one of the Mountain, Mt.Sharp, which is the rover's primary mission to study.

Nasa is showing off the first high-resolution colour picture sent back by the Mars rover Curiosity, detailing the mountain where scientists plan to focus their search for the chemical ingredients of life. The images reveal distinct tiers near the base of the three-mile-high mountain that rises from the floor of Gale Crater, where Curiosity landed on 6 August.

In this first picture, the layers above where scientists expect to find hydrated minerals show sharp tilts, offering a strong hint of dramatic changes in Gale Crater, which is located in the planet's southern hemisphere near its equator. Mount Sharp, the name given to the towering formation at the centre of the crater, is believed to be the remains of sediment that once completely filled the 96-mile-wide basin. "This is a spectacular feature that we're seeing very early," said John Grotzinger, a project scientist with the California Institute of Technology. "We can sense that there is a big change on Mount Sharp."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Click on the photo on the link to see a zoomed in version of the photo. Interesting how there seem to be many different peaks jutting out.

Coupled with this humanity has now spoken on Mars as well!

NASA's Mars Curiosity has debuted the first recorded human voice that traveled from Earth to another planet and back. In spoken words radioed to the rover on Mars and back to NASA's Deep Space Network (DSN) on Earth, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden noted the difficulty of landing a rover on Mars, congratulated NASA employees and the agency's commercial and government partners on the successful landing of Curiosity earlier this month, and said curiosity is what drives humans to explore.

www.nasa.gov...

Exciting Mars based fun.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Added link

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
here ya go!

why is the sky white?
edit on 28-8-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Probably something to do with the way Mars atmosphere scatters light, like here on Earth, blue is more dominant.
edit on 28/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Awesome picture ...

Here is the full screen version directly from NASA.

nasa.gov

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Ah thanks for that, I couldn't find a pic on Google to embed in.

Stunning landscape.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
What about the voice recording though? That is pretty cool

The voice playback was released along with new telephoto camera views of the varied Martian landscape during a news conference today at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "With this voice, another small step is taken in extending human presence beyond Earth, and the experience of exploring remote worlds is brought a little closer to us all," said Dave Lavery, NASA Curiosity program executive. "As Curiosity continues its mission, we hope these words will be an inspiration to someone alive today who will become the first to stand upon the surface of Mars. And like the great Neil Armstrong, they will speak aloud of that next giant leap in human exploration."

www.nasa.gov...

Presence announced.

Here is the actual message,

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

no probs
just right click any image-save as-upload to ATS-post in thread-done!
as long as the dimensions are within the limits!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Thanks for the info.

The image has poor definition.

Although, notice the hills formations that are losing the round shape at the top, of typically desert landscapes. With that we are starting to see the type and directions of the stratification layers…

What’s the cause? Soon will know…

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It's a strange feeling to look at the pics and think that it's another planet. a different planet. Yet the image appears as if someone was taking a holiday snap. Mind boggling really, to think that way up in the heavens so far away, this little machine is taking photos of a completely alien landscape.

It just makes it feel so close.. yet far away enough to remain impossible for my own eyes to ever see in person.

Good thread!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Is it just me or does that appear to be sedementary layers of rock.
Now of coarse there are other ways for layers of stone to be formed.
Just saying...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Is it just me or does that appear to be sedementary layers of rock.
Now of coarse there are other ways for layers of stone to be formed.
Just saying...

I agree, Zor--, er, Ghurka. It looks a lot like extremely weathered sandstone. Oh, and the Earth's atmosphere is principally nitrogen, which scatters blue and ultraviolet. Mars' atmosphere is principally carbon dioxide.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I believe that is exactly what drew them to this location for study.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
WTF is NASA doing beaming back sounds?? We are almost on SOL 23. Get this rover roving.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticEngineer

Ah ha ha they are taking it nice and slow. They can't get going until they are sure that everything is in working order, and the parts that are not they are aware of.

Then it can go rampaging around at uh 30cm a second.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I heard on Coast to Coast that Nasa plans on sending a new Will I Am music back to Earth via Radio waves, not Voice. But still a weird thing to do, And pretty much a waste of time. Wonder how much that costs.???

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I heard on Coast to Coast that Nasa plans on sending a new Will I Am music back to Earth via Radio waves, not Voice. But still a weird thing to do, And pretty much a waste of time. Wonder how much that costs.???

I think they are testing everything they can test for a posible future manned mission.

Cool pic

Are those pyramids

edit on 28-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ya i think that would be wise, to test everything they can while there. Unfortunetly something tells me, Nasa will never send a manned mission to Mars. They will deem it too costly, to dangerous. While China I could see as a very energetic nation, looking to Galvanize its nation with something like a Mars landing.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
that voice recording is possibly the dumbest thing ive heard.. what the hell is the point?

seriously, i respect this mission but what the hell nasa? stick to scientific experiments not just fluff

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
How is that image even remotely "high resolution"?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Great pic here.

Who'll start the, "I see faces in those rocks", thing?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join