It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian miners barricade themselves with explosives !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

More than 100 miners have barricaded themselves with explosives inside a carbon mine on the Italian island of Sardinia as they seek to persuade the government to invest in the mine's future. The strike began Sunday night with 40 miners holed up with roughly 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of explosives. An additional 80 joined them Monday in their position nearly 400 meters (1,300 feet) deep in the Nuraxi Ficu mine, according to Sandro Mereu, one of the workers at the mine and a trade union representative.

edition.cnn.com...

The miners from a 460-strong workforce seized 350 kilos of company explosives and locked themselves inside the Carbosulcis mine west of Cagliari overnight on Monday, one of them said, ahead of a government meeting this week to discuss the pit's future. "We are worried that the mine may close. We are afraid for our jobs," said Sandro Mereu, 54, a miner who has worked there for 28 years

www.mineweb.com...

I'm afraid this kind of extreme protests and events will be more often in the future across Europe.Crisis is real and is getting bigger.People are simply desperate for secured and stabile jobs . I hope the end will be good in this developing "situation".
edit on 28-8-2012 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I'm afraid this kind of extreme protests and events will be more often in the future across Europe.Crisis is real and is getting bigger.People are simply desperate for secured and stabile jobs . I hope the end will be good in this developing "situation".
If you're right, and this does occur more and more often, then somebody should explain the thinking to me. The miners are saying "Do what we want, or we'll kill ourselves." Doesn't this kind of solve itself? I don't understand. It reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the new Sheriff holds a gun to his own head and tells the crowd to let him go or he'll shoot the Sheriff.

Is this just a publicity stunt raised to a new level? Of course, if they do set off the explosives it will create jobs for those hired to clear away the rubble.

I know I sound callous, but I'm really only confused.

new topics

join