It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Whale Encounter - Mother Gray Whale Lifts Her Calf Out of the Water! [HD]

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
while in my country touching whales is heavily discouraged,
and the minimum distance between a mother and her calf is 200 meters,
that said,

the mother actually lifts the calf out of the water towards the whale watchers. so in this case i think it was for the benefit of both whale and human.

PLEASE do not approach whales in the wild, particularly if they have calves.

outside of that enjoy this as i have,

whales are beautiful creatures who deserve our protection.
please feel free to post other whale videos here

xploder
edit on 28-8-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I was quite moved while watching this interaction. I couldn't helping thinking of the barbaric way people treated these magnificent creatures in times gone by.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by XPLodER

I was quite moved while watching this interaction. I couldn't helping thinking of the barbaric way people treated these magnificent creatures in times gone by.

Whalers still do, Japanese, Norwegians, etc.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

PLEASE do not approach whales in the wild, particularly if they have calves.

Good job with the disclaimer, important we respect that these are wild creatures and may not appreciate our attentions. Having said that, how fantastic to have such an experience, the whales clearly approached the humans, and that makes all the difference.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
They are has curious has the people on the boat

that was one of the most adorable and touching video in a while

thanks for sharing .. wish i could hug a whale to

the mother was letting her curious child approach the boat because the little one was curious
so amazing and inteligent

yes can be dangerous but the mother need to approve first

edit on 8/28/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Whalers still do, Japanese, Norwegians, etc.

A video like this could influence public opinion in those countries.

reply to post by XPLodER

PLEASE do not approach whales in the wild...

...with a harpoon.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
David Attenborough did an episode which portrayed a similar behaviour, I think it was the BBC Blue Planet series, but there the Mother & calf were being harassed by Orcas, the calf was exhausted and the Mother was carrying it on her back, desperately trying to protect it. It had a sad end.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Wow

the lucky whale watchers are having a whale of a time
(cheesy!)
but seriouly thats a momentous experience im sure!

Monstrous!

Please remember they are still wild!

edit on 28-8-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

my fav!

edit on 28-8-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Whale Mom to Tourists:

"please--take my baby. Theres radiation and garbage in the Ocean!"

bummer post, I know--but true.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Cool video

Reminded me about this awesome rescue

ATS thread to video
edit on 28-8-2012 by Mianeye because: Spelling and such

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I genuinely get the feeling that whale was saying thankyou, that is just amazing and has made my night.
Thankyou!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

...and then the boat capsizes from all of the people leaning over for whale smooching causing the whales to be euthanized for attacking the tourists.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Had a similiar encounter of the coast of massachusetts...I was with my cousin and we followed a whale watching boat...we stayed in the area for about ten minutes and off the distance noticed a tail slap...I naturally starting taking pictures and said to my cousin how lucky we were...the whale went under and not long after went under out boat..I proceeded to crap my pants along with my cousing due to the fact the boat were were in as around 12-15 feet....the whale acted in a similiar fashion where she came up to the boat to take a peak with her big eyeball...within a minute a baby was sort of bobbing out and it looked like a big dark pickle..unleck the lady in the video we were not reaching out to pat the whale we were crapping our pants yet again..of course the camera we had only had a few pictures and I used them on the tail that was a couple of hundred yards away...my cousin told me to go in the water as we are or atleast I was at the time a sport diver...I said no but the words following no were as you can imagine a bit different...It was amazing but watching the mother float up to the top was like looking at a submarine surfacing...amazing by frightening at the same time...great video with the exception of the lady blabbering through it...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Was it just me or was anyone else hoping the whale was going to squash that woman who kept screeching...

Great vid OP, S&F

Originally posted by NorthernThird
David Attenborough did an episode which portrayed a similar behaviour, I think it was the BBC Blue Planet series, but there the Mother & calf were being harassed by Orcas, the calf was exhausted and the Mother was carrying it on her back, desperately trying to protect it. It had a sad end.

Yeah I think you're right. I remember seeing that one. I was hoping it would end well but as most battles go in nature, it didn't... Fascinating watch though.
edit on 28-8-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Double Post
edit on 28-8-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is bad really, now the whale might actually think that humans are harmless.

edit on 28-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Did they say "Lice in the blowhole" at the end?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorthernThird

First episode of Blue Planet, at the end. The ending was saaaad

I wonder if the whale was just curious or if they are trying to do the 'first contact" communication thing??

new topics

top topics

join