It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What we leave behind: A visual essay of ancient stonework structures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This is more of a visual essay than anything. It is a collection of my favorite ancient stonework structures and archaeological sites. The intent of this video is to share, impress, and maybe even change perspective of how we fit in with the ebb and flow of time.

Mostly, it is about what archaeologists really study: the people, the ones who shape history and tell a story with what they leave behind.

www.youtube.com...

Mods have moved this thread from Ancient and Lost Civilizations to General Chit-Chat. No problem, mods

edit on 28-8-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Easter island is a place I have always wanted to visit ever since I was a child.....I used to sit in the library scouring over books depicting these kind of stone images while other kids were reading The Mister Men.................cheers

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Very nice...thank you for posting. It amazes me, after all these years...still a mystery. I too, as a child, spent hours pouring over national geographic magazines, searching for photos and stories of the ancient stone monoliths. I'm still in as much awe, as I was then.

Des

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Yes, those statues are fascinating. It does evoke something in me seeing their facial expressions while standing there seemingly isolated and alone.

For me, I've always loved ancient Egypt. I've wanted to be an archaeologist since I was in the 3rd grade. I was reading about Howard Carter and the Valley of the Kings and Ancient Egyptian myths while the other kids were trying their best to avoid reading haha.

In college I studied a lot about Indian influence. Which is why I have included Mohenjo-Daro (one of my favorites!) and Angkor Wat as well as the Kailash temple.

Sadly, I have not yet gone on to study archaeology at the graduate level. It's still one of my hobbies though.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

In a similar way to yourself I have always been fascinated by archaeology....Whenever we went on a holiday as a family usually in Wales during school holiday time I was always scouring the beach with a hammer breaking rocks in half in search of Ammonites and the like..................my bedroom was always full of books on dinosaurs and I was also really interested with Howard carter and the so called curses that happened...............When I actually went to Egypt it totally blew me away............................I went to Sigiriya, in Sri Lanka, a few years ago, if you don't know anything about Sigiriya, then have a read up and give it a visit if you can...........I believe that it is one of the main wonders of the world, I can't wait to go back it is toooooo brilliant to even try to explain, but have a read about it and it may interest you..................I have put some links below, actually I may do a thread about Sigiriya, I have never seen one on ATS................

en.wikipedia.org...

www.google.co.uk... =677

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Ha. I saw that image while hunting through google images. I didn't recognize it so I passed over it. Thanks for posting it. I will have to check it out and I look forward to your thread on the topic.

Let this be an invitation for everybody to post their personal favorite stone structure of the ancient world. Please, say a few words about it and why it fascinates you.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
www.english-heritage.org.uk...

Stonehenge has always fascinated me simply because of the mystery surrounding its purpose, and wondering how it could have been constructed by man of that era.

Thanks to shows I've watched on Acient Aliens, I have learned a lot about the possibilities of its existence.
Speculation suggests it could have been used as a calendar, a place for healing, sun worship, even possible time travel when the galactic alignments were right.

Could it be some type of sign language for our space brothers to see from above? Some type of energy producing construction? We will probably never know the answers, but it is one of the most awe-inspiring creations of all I have seen, for me, personally.

There are many others that boggle my mind, but Stonehenge is the one that "sticks out". I am fascinated with the Egyptian pyramids, too, but I'll have to post on them when I have more time.

new topics

join