<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

No personal experience with them in person but what I can say by one that was local to our area was that with time the fake ones most always get weeded out in time . One here was asking large sums of money to do services other than speak with passed family members or spirits . She was booted out of town by the local authority for it after being found out, or she ran one . Where she went I have no ideal it was years ago there's not many of these types here .

I also think there are some very real ones out there also because of a two & something year stint I had with the paranormal when I was in my forties , If I could become so aware of these things around us with such clarity I have no doubt there could be people out there that could do it & communicate with them at will .
John

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I personally dont believe in mediums or anything else of that kind, but let me offer you some advise, the more you try to convince them its not real the more determined they are to prove you wrong. Its just human nature, your mother-in-law is dealing with her grief and loss by seeing someone who pretends to be talking to her husband but in reality is it really hurting anyone? Yeah she is wasting her money but its her money... I know its hard to watch a loved one throw away their cash to a scam artist or in my case it was a "evangelist" but if that is what makes her happy let it happen.
Your wife believes what her mom is telling her and thats ok too. Just let her know that if you were to pass away first you rather her save her money and live her life.
Wish I had something better to tell you but sometimes its better to let things go then fight the tide. Good Luck.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I want to convince my medium that wives are con artists
edit on 3-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
My wife's father passed away a few months ago, and my mother-in-law has been going to a medium. She claims that this medium is talking to him and that she says things that no one else would know except for him, etc... the usual story that everyone says after talking to a medium.

Some mediums are con artists - - some are not. Buyer beware. Be skeptical.

My daughter went to a man who "talks to the dead". If he's a con - - then he's damn good at it.

He talked to her over the phone - - never met her - - only knew her name.

He DID say things he could not know. He DID say things we did not understand until we told another person - - who understood it completely.

I was astounded by what he said.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The mediums i have gone to and paid money for, i've gone purely out of entertainment.

I do believe some people can channel, but like with everything - if it can be acted easily, and profitable, people will usually try and make money from it. These people are called charlatans. And with the growing popularity, they seem to be outnumbering the legitimate cases to a point where everyone thinks it's ALL bull#.

In saying that, i've gone to, and paid money for a "medium" at a fair event in my city with a mate. My mate was intrigued, but i was watching her and what she was doing. She was looking at material possessions. She looked at my watch, my hair, my clothes, saw that i took pride in my appearance, assumed i was of southern european descent, and told me i would have a mansion, with kids and a wife not from my country.

It's easy enough to do, and even if she's wrong, what am i going to do? going to hunt her down and get 50 bucks back? haha. These people are good illusionists. They'll notice things you don't pay attention to. They read you, and make you say "wow", take quick money and walk.

But like i said, there are still legitimate cases. Some help police teams solve cases, a lot of serious ones won't charge much either. All the serious one's i've met actually have asked for "whatever i have". The bull# ones throw an hourly rate at you.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Good luck with that,
especially if the information is correct.
There are legit mediums out there.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It is interesting to read the replies on this thread, you got everything from people claiming its demons, to people who are full believers, to cautious skepticism.
I'd go with cautious skepticism.

Mediums are mediums for various reasons,
and are often misunderstood in what they do and why.
But I can only speak for myself,
and my experience has been as a medium.
If she is getting the correct information, and she says its right, then what is the problem?
She is getting closure from suffering loss and grief.
As long as she does not become dependent on them, let her get the closure she feels she needs.
We are not fakes, although there are some out there.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I would do anything to help ease my wifes suffering, even letting her go to a medium that she believed could communicate with the other side. With a little faith, one realizes that the afterlife is nearer than we know- a true medium will pick up on information and share it, and a fair fee seems reasonable (the typical fee falls entirely to short for indepth research and background investigation). I believe that some mediums may pick up on energy, similar to a repeating radio wave, but others see and communicate with the diceased, while some have just mastered the art of diception. No matter how they do it, I think monetary compensation interferes with their abilities, with exception to the last. Help your wife deal with her grief in the way she needs to do it, but encourage her to be more spiritual and receptive, as well- you never know, she may recieve comfirmation from her father in a vivid dream or a strong feeling, but avoid being a road block.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My first post on the board and I feel really strongly about writing this.
I am related to a nationally known "psychic", closely related unfortunately. She's a fraud and I didn't even figure it out until about a year ago. It may seem harmless, the lies they tell to ease one's suffering but when you discover the truth it hurts a lot more.
A lot are incredibly good chameleons and tend to be narcissists or sociopaths, or both. They know how to read body language. They know what type of leading things to say and they always celebrate during sessions when they get something right. They have the upper hand in sessions, remember, they have the power to speak to someone that no one else can. It's all a psychological thing.
If this woman is charging your mother in law, then she is a fraud. No true psychic will ask people for money. They will ask for a donation. Just my two cents.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LotusUprising

Free is the way to be.

IMO

I agree with that.

Bummer about your discovery though. It is kind of like when Miss Cleo came out and was labeled a fraud.
A good lesson for people to be cautious.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Oh, mine was busted on national t.v. and people still swear by them.

In all honesty, I think some people really just need reassurance. And it's a big market nowadays.
I also worked for this psychic for an extended period... I was trying to be as vague as possible.
This isn't the place to call anyone out.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think the best way to show the medium is full of BS is to get the medium to say things that are obviously untrue.

Let us say you have a dead uncle Sam. Before you go to the medium tell your wife about Sam. Tell your wife Sam was skinny, loved to smoke cigars, and drink gin. (If that is true) Tell your wife Sam loved the Red Sox but hated the snow. (If that is true.)

When you meet the medium, ask about Sam. When the medium tries flushing information about you, suggest to the medium the fond memories you had of going to Yankees games together or making snowmen. Suggest to her Sam was a jolly fat man and a tea totaller. If the medium says she sees Sam rooting for the Yankees from heaven and skiing, you just proved the medium was full of it.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think when money is involved yes. But as far as James Padgett I think he is the real deal. In his communications with Jesus he never asked for money.

I always find that is one key to legitimacy, at least if no money is involved I would give them a second look.
Way to many organizations out there, religious, palm readers mostly do it for the money their livelihood. Not so with James Padgett !

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LotusUprising

Reassurance is a good thing for sure.the world is a weird place these days and not all that bad.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As far as charging for abilities goes, there is a flip side to it.
People listen better if they pay for it. I know this for certain.
If some guy comes up to you on the street and just gives you free advice, chances are you won't remember down the road or blow them off, you go into see someone and pay for them, and you are more likely to remember what they said.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Help... I want to convince my wife that mediums are con artists

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
I would appreciate help understanding both sides of the argument. Are mediums fake... or not?

Do I really need to point out the flaw in your presentation or your thinking?
Sounds like you need to find out exactly what YOU believe FIRST before you try to convince someone else of what THEY should believe.

In my most humble opinion of course.
(Yeah, I wrote it out, I'm old fashion like that.)
edit on 8-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

There are some fake mediums and some real mediums. Real mediums do charge money usually, which is fair, because they have to train and need to earn a living. If they are from the NSC (National Spiritualist Church) they have a code of ethics that they follow rigorously. Other mediums, if they are professional, also have a code of ethics. Real mediums discourage dependency and usually do not let somebody keep coming back. They want to empower people with messages of hope and proof that there is an afterlife. They will never say a person has a curse or other nonsense that they will remove for a fee. They are just trying to provide comfort and they try to always deliver the messages just as they receive them, because they are duty-bound to be of service to Spirit and to the client.

People really can receive messages from spirit. Sometimes the beings they are communicating with are imposters. Mediums try to prevent this by keeping their vibration high and through intention. If they can't get anything, an honorable medium will say so and refuse payment.

Fake mediums will not bother to do deep research on people because they are experts at the cold read and don't need to bother. Sometimes stage mentalists will have assistants in the audience or working the line to get info. People should be open-minded yet skeptical about going to mediums and they should never make it a habit.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
show her this

www.youtube.com...

Derren Brown is a mentalist using such principles like cold reading, ie what mediums do. A lot better than them too.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

At this late stage of legally binding yourself to someone without the intelligence or will to see through deception there is nothing you can do. You can either keep your mouth shut and get pulled down with her or speak up and have her divorce you.

Next time have higher standards.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join