the degree of negativism she can have
and the 3 fallen angels statues she have near her bed
made a thread about that .. you can see my profile

but since she went to that medium so many yrs ago
she learned things that can be explained
those medium trick many people in the dark occultism
usualy fallen angels shapeshift themself to deceive you with knowledge

most medium are very real .. con artist are easy to debunk
people shouldnt seek answer via the paranormal .. trust in your heart is more powerfull
many are wrongly influenced because the knowledge can be to overwhelming

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

some mediums are real some are fake , The fake ones will usually charge too much money and what they tell you could mean anything and fit any future situation ,
A real medium will tell you things that are not open to interpretation , There are different mediums as well you get some that have a spirit guide on the other side that will relay the message to them ,these types can be bad depending on there spirit guide ,
The other type is a direct medium were no spirit guide is needed as it is them who see dead people much like the film 6th sense..
Many of the real direct mediums do not and did not want the powers they have , so if you are going to see a medium a direct medium is the best one to see

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Please tell me its NOT Sylvia??!! You mentioned 4 yr waiting list.. and folks are sucked in by Sylvia and her notorious waiting lists.

Sure, there are real "mediums". I think they are truly few and far between though and even with successful mediums/psychics/whatever label.. they are nowhere near reliable just due to their rate of hits versus misses. We took a few psychics to a location and told them nothing. Had them write down their impressions.. these werent hacks, they were well known in the area. NOT ONE was correct 100%. Only1 got 7 points correct out of the 20 points we were looking for.. and she scored highest out of the group. She knew things she shouldn't have about the area that couldnt be gleaned from a cold read.. but still those odds arent anything Id bet my life on.. kwim?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
My wife's father passed away a few months ago, and my mother-in-law has been going to a medium. She claims that this medium is talking to him and that she says things that no one else would know except for him, etc... the usual story that everyone says after talking to a medium. I must admit that I find it intriguing, but I am very cynical, as I am with most things. I know that ATS is full of people who know much more about this topic than I ever will, and I would appreciate help understanding both sides of the argument. Are mediums fake... or not?

The 'help' I would offer you is that you should grab a brain. While there are many frauds in all walks of life, what evidence do you have that each and every single 'medium' is fake??? The human brain works in strange ways and you are very stupid to take the view that just because you yourself have no such abilities, that, that therefore proves that no one else has such abilities either.

If you were smart you would take the view that MOST mediums are fake but that there may be some who may be able to 'see' things others cant.

But if in the event that you are hamstrung by religeous beliefs then you will always be limited in what you are permitted to believe.

cheers
edit on 28-8-2012 by learnatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatDivider

G,day mate. well, you have certainly nailed this thread with one sentence. will also add, that people then leave themselves open to spiritual attack. now, on a light note maybe the bloke should sit his wife down in front of a politician, that should cure her

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
My wife's father passed away a few months ago, and my mother-in-law has been going to a medium.

This particular medium is supposedly one of the best around. She is so good that she has a 4 year waiting list.

Something here does not add up.......

Also, why do you wish to convince anyone that mediums are not real?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Look up Derren Brown on youtube. He has exposed some of these psychics and mediums on his program in the UK.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I have had an experience with a medium that completely convinced me of HIS authenticity. So I can say from MY expereince that mediums are for real!! At least the one I am refering to. Of course a lot of them are fake, because if you make enough people beleive your are for real, you will get a fairly decent income. But in my case, this was free and bang on. Here is the short story:

We had a spirit/ghost in our old house that was scaring my wife and I (slamming doors, cold hands on body, other weird things..) So I went to a local spirituality shop to seek answers/help.

As I walked in (first time ever). This guy got up from the far end of the shop and walked straight toward me. He introduced himself and Said: "You seem to require assistance?!" of course he would right? So I said Yes I do! He invited me to sit with him at a table and started immediately with: "There are 2 spirits in your house....one is a child that only wants to play with your 3 kids, he is friendly and will not harm anyone. The other one is an adult male that has very negative energy and HAS TO GO ASAP!!! He is the one slamming doors and scaring you guys."

He showed me how to use incenses to send the spirit away for good and said that if it didn't work to call him and that he would come over to help. I asked how much he charges for that and he said nothing...he doesnt charge at all. It worked as he said at least untill we purchased our new home and moved out. Nothing since then anyways.

I had given him 0 information (not even my name) and he new exactly what was going on and also knew I had 3 kids. Could it be a lucky guess because I had a wedding ring on? Maybe. But I am a believer nonetheless.

I later found out that he was the owner of that shop in question and am now good friends with him. He has mentionned much much more at later visits and it never cost me a dime, and he was always on the dot.

Sorry if I can't help convince you that mediums are all fake but this was my experience, but I do beleive that a whole lot are indeed frauds.

Teye22

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Help... I want to convince my wife that mediums are con artists

Some are. Some aren't.
Perhaps your wife can convince YOU that there are some real ones out there!

I have had two 'readings' in my life.
The first one .... it was obviously a cold reading. (not real).
The second one ... amazing. Very real.

It's hit or miss ...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

What method does this medium claim to use for her answers?

Does she charge money for services? Take donations? Or do it as a free service?

What info has the medium brought up that only the mom would know?

What is the mediums name and what area do you live in?

I have never met a medium with a 4 year back log....thats kind of rediculous to me being special myself. If she charges money for services, she may be something other than a medium for sure. Most of the true ones I know (and they do exist) do not charge. Some may take donations for charity...but they do not pocket cash outright...they are not looking to make a buck off of their ability. These are the more honest ones.

Her method is very telling, has she explained how she does what she does? Most good mediums explain the process of why they can garner the info they do...if she doesn't...red flag....

She may very well be legit....Im afraid I would need more info to know if she is or maybe isn't.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

The more reclusive and unknown the psychic, the more accurate they are...goes with the territory.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
You could start with M. Lamar Keene's Psychic Mafia.

I do, I should state, believe some are in contact with other intelligences, but they are not spirits of the deceased and not to be trusted. All kinds of life crises happen when you mess around with mediums and spiritual hooligans.

Good luck.

Hey Sugar!!

The first thing I thought of was a book I read a few years ago called "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" by Joe Fisher.
That one is a real game changer in regard to this very topic.
The second thing I thought of was that series of videos you posted on a thread a while back that was in the Paranormal Forum that someone posted asking if people who channeled/mediums/etc.---if they tested the spirits they came in contact with and if so, how they determined if they were malevolent or not. Remember that?
You should post those vids here....I think they are actually about that book, if I'm remembering correctly??

xoxo

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The easiest way to know is the escalating cost associated with the readings. In an attempt to keep the money coming in the ones out to scam you will continually leave out little bits and pieces of info in attempt to get repeat visits, and the costs keep growing. A loved one especially a husband would not want his wife to be continually spending money to hear word from him on the otherside.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You know what? People are going to believe whatever they want to whether or not you try to convince them otherwise.

If this "medium," brings comfort to your mother-in-law, and your wife, why the heck should you care?

Perhaps they have unresolved issues or something with the deceased you don't know about. Does your wife know everything about you?

Let 'em seek comfort in this if it is what makes them happy. Hopefully the phase will pass.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Been to a good one the only time I ever checked it out. Never had any desire to go back and I'm glad I didn't. I have to say this lady was highly accurate, reading Taro and ground tea. And you may want to watch trying to disprove your wife. Could cause a riff. I know there are good ones, so you're reasoning is wrong. But trying to dissuade her is not.
edit on 28-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
Hey Sugar!!

The first thing I thought of was a book I read a few years ago called "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" by Joe Fisher.
You should post those vids here....I think they are actually about that book, if I'm remembering correctly??

Hiya, Doll! Funny, I had considered posting those here. Joe Fisher is indeed interviewed in the series. He was very respected in the parapsychology field. I say "was" because he eventually committed suicide after complaining to his editor that the "ghosts" had never let him alone.

Mediumship dates back to the Greek Oracles and beyond, but millennia later nobody yet knows for certain what transpires when a medium enters a deep trance...

…Many view "the guides" as a source of love and wisdom…but are they? 

For five years, best-selling author and journalist Joe Fisher painstakingly investigated the claims of channelers and the mysterious voices that speak through them. The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts is his gripping journey into a realm of darkness and deception… 

...The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts is not a skeptic's dismissal of channeling. Deeply convinced of the reality of reincarnation after writing The Case For Reincarnation and Life Between Life, Joe Fisher ventured into the world of mediumship with every expectation of writing the definitive book on how to contact spirit guides.

But what he encountered, while remarkable in many ways, turned his emotions inside out and left him questioning the faith of New Age believers. This book is required reading for anyone who has ever visited, or considered visiting, a deep-trance channeler.
www.paraview.com...

Gripping series. Well worth a watch and I don't think you'll be disappointed, OP. Thanks, SG!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The four year waiting list sounds fishy.

It makes sense, combine cold and hot reads, make someone wait even a few months while you research them.
That way you can hide some nuggets of unexplained truth in the BS.

I believe in the supernatural, but I think 99% of mediums are BS con artists.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

This is going to sound harsh. I have found that many people are what I call searchers. They are alot like a half empty glass that wants to be filled up.

They bounce between faiths and con artists find easy marks when they run into them. They dive head long into things and have a hard time with common sense. Some end up in cults many find Christ. They all have certain things in common they are very gullible and want to believe.

I am not sure if this fits your problem but if it does the median is the least of your concerns.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Most are probably fakes, but sorry mate some are in fact genuine.

John Edward was genuine. He was tested at a major university (University of Arizona I believe) before his TV days and was 95% accurate with information on deceased relatives. He passed objective tests with flying colors.

I've also had an experience with a genuine medium, sometimes this stuff cannot be faked, sorry.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed that you can't get one of these people to commit to any kind of objective test of their abilities? I'd bet a million dollars that no psychic, medium, or remote viewer could tell me which random 5 digit number I just wrote down and memorized. I think it's very telling that they aren't open to being tested when the results would leave no room for interpretation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join