It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Give a man a bank and he can rob the world" sign gets protester arrested for bank robbery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A man trying to wake up bank customers to the criminal activities of the institution they were patronizing found out that the banks don't respond kindly to having their customers enlightened.

Group: Occupy Protester Accused Of Bank Robbery For Holding ‘You’re Being Robbed’ Sign

An Occupy Easton protester faces an attempted bank robbery charge following an arrest at an organized event at a bank – during which the “Occupier” was holding a sign that reportedly read “You’re being robbed.”

According to The Express-Times, Dave Gorczynski allegedly held cardboard signs outside a Wells Fargo Branch that read, “You’re being robbed,” while the other said, “Give a man a gun, he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob a country.”

Occupy Easton reports on their Facebook page that Gorczynski “was at the bank protesting the theft of our tax dollars, our homes, and our economy by the criminal banksters.”

Gorczynski allegedly did the same thing a short time later inside a Bank of America, prompting an employee to activate the panic alarm – reports The Express Times.

Police reportedly responded and located Gorczynski with the signs in question and arrested him.

C BS Philly

Sure, walking INTO THE BANK holding that sign may not have been the brightest idea in the world but, you would think that when the police arrived and assessed the situation, they should have realized that no robbery was intended (except the robbery that goes on everyday by the bank of its customers) and it was a simple case of a protest gone a little too far.

Luckily, the prosecutor has decided to drop the bank robbery charge but has decided the terroristic threats and disorderly conduct charges will still stand.

The district attorney said he would be scrutinizing the legality of the charges, indicating he is a strong supporter of First Amendment rights.

UPDATE:

The district attorney has, as predicted, dropped the charge of attempted robbery. However, the disorderly persons and terroristic threat charges remain.

“Terroristic threat” is a common charge made when one person threatens another. It has nothing to do with any actual real terrorism.

citizen Journalist

Disorderly conduct I can understand but, the threats charge should have been thrown out as well. A panicky bank teller isn't grounds for deciding that a peaceful protest is somehow a threat of violence to someone.

Just goes to show how much control the banks have over the governments of the world.

He's just lucky the banksters didn't have the cops execute him on the spot.

edit on 8/27/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No he is getting charged with what he deserves. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is a piss poor idea to go into a bank with a sign that clear as day says your being robbed. If it were up to me I'd let him sweat it out a few months in the courts worrying about whether he was going to prison or not. Maybe then the full gravity of what he did will have a chance to set in.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
the 1st right of the constitution is often used for stupid methods of communication i do agree, BUT i dont see why the protester should end in jail

he wasnt wearing any mask, wasnt carrying any weapons and most of all, most of the bank personel knew about the organised protest.

So once again, if you use your rights in a way the gov doesnt think you're fit for, you deserve jail time ?.

You really think the guy deserve jail ?

pure hypocrisy in the situation....

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

What he deserves is a medal for trying to wake up people to the fact that banks are nothing but criminal institutions that have government sanction to operate their criminal enterprises.

The more you learn about banks, the more you will come to understand that it is the banksters who belong behind bars for the grand theft they have committed against the workers and producers of the world for generations.

Each vid is an hour long but, they are well worth watching. Some of the most informative vids on banking I've seen so far.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Most people are not going wake up. There will be upset on day because "No one told me....blah, blah"

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If he had kept himself protesting outside the bank, I would probably agree with you. However he was stupid for taking that sign inside where it could and would be easily misinterpreted with a protest going on outside. Really I would be satisfied if he spends a few months worrying about the terrorism charges and they were quietly dropped, as I don't think he meant any real harm, but unfortunately didn't think his actions through.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

IMO, the disorderly conduct charge would have been more than sufficient. Once he entered the bank, he crossed a line that he shouldn't have as a protester and he should have to face the legal consequences of his actions.

DC is a summary offense that results in only a fine and maybe (but not likely) some community service. He only has to appear before a District Judge (much like a traffic court) and it doesn't waste too much of his or the taxpayer's time.

The threats charge is a misdemeanor charge that would have to be tried in a superior court before a jury. There was no evidence he ever really threatened anyone and the charge is a waste of his and the court's valuable time. There are plenty of REAL crimes that the court barely has time to deal with.

They shouldn't be wasting time with this, even if just to teach this guy a lesson.

Imagine if YOU were the one called in for a few days of jury duty (at $9 a day) for this load of crap. If I were on that jury, I would find the prosecutor guilty of wasting everybody's time and sentence him to death row.

edit on 8/27/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Most people are not going wake up. There will be upset on day because "No one told me....blah, blah"

You are right they aren't going to wake up because they don't want to. The dumbing down of America has worked very well.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I'll happily have the time wasted, if it means he and those he tells his story to stop and think about it before they do something incredibly stupid. I look at it as an investment, if his tale of woe gives one person a pause before doing something similar.

If you have ever had any experience with court cases do not typically move very quickly. There is plenty of time for him to be charged with the terrorism charge before a jury is ever selected. let him worry about it a bit.
edit on 27-8-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hmmmm...
Bad life decision.
I guess he should have thought about it and re worded his protest sign.
Well, he'll have plenty of time to think about his grammar now!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Although I'm very suspicious of any "occupy" dudes, he is right on track!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

....Deserve? So.. for being an idiot and holding a protest sign in a bank that sparked some other idiots fear he deserves to spend the next 25 years in a Federal Prison?

no .. YOU deserve to spend some time in a Federal Prison. I'm sick of people not using common sense .. goes for you and the idiot with the sign, but at least the guy with the sign wasn't trying to or wishing harm onto anyone.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I started cracking up when I read the headline....then stopped as soon as I saw the dumbass actually IN the bank.

What a retard.

They really should have a "dumbass jail" for stupid people who dont think before acting out
like complete morons.

He doesnt deserve jail time- I think the humiliation is enough to serve the guy with.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

"the terrorism charge" not so.

(from OP) ' “Terroristic threat” is a common charge made when one person threatens another. It has nothing to do with any actual real terrorism. '

an important distinction.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
No he is getting charged with what he deserves. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is a piss poor idea to go into a bank with a sign that clear as day says your being robbed. If it were up to me I'd let him sweat it out a few months in the courts worrying about whether he was going to prison or not. Maybe then the full gravity of what he did will have a chance to set in.

Lucky for you, most people are just as brainwashed as you are.

Once, when a guy with a gun was mugging some people, I held up a sign saying, "you are being robbed". Obviously I should have been arrested for infringing on his right to rob people.

The best slave is the one, like you, who thinks he is free.

Enjoy your slavery. Keep holding up the system of plunder you are immersed in. Good luck with that.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

Obviously it's a piss poor idea to go into a "bank", or den of thieves, with the intention of giving them your money, and then signing a bunch of papers giving them the right to, a little at a time, steal it ALL from you.

They are not really stealing it when you voluntarily give it to them.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

So much for reading the entire thread. I personally don't think he should go to prison for it. I do however feel that they should let him sit with the more serious charge and sweat it out a bit so he fully understands just how poor his judgement was and then quietly dismiss them. The next time you decide to decry someone the way you have me, instead of coming up with a kneejerk response wait and read further.

And yes he did intend harm on people. Golly gee lets take a "you are being robbed" sign into a bank, where the biggest fear every teller has is to get robbed. Tell me that didn't ruin someone's day.
edit on 28-8-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

The two are not the same thing. He was free to carry his sign outside the bank all he wanted. The second he walked into the bank with that sign he changed his circumstances significantly. First it is private property. Second the employees in the bank are going to see it as a possible threat to them. Did it ever occur to you that the biggest fear of working in a bank is just that getting robbed. It is the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Really, this berk walked straight into it and has no one but himself to blame. Considering how many robberies are carried out by passing a note to the cashier, this fellow should have shown a bit more nous.
It's just as well that i was not in the bank at the time as i would have totally wet myself when they arrested him. I know it's mean of me, but cruel fate can be funny, especially when it is someone else on the recieving end.

All the same, after everyone has had a good old point and laugh at the poor fool, they should most likely send him on him way, maybe even thanking him for the entertainment.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

it would take a pretty stupid bank robber to walk into the bank with a big sign for everyone to see saying...
you're being robbed. most bank robbers write their notes on little pieces of paper, small enough to pass through the teller's window without much notice for a reason.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join