It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Smith, GOP Senate Candidate: Pregnancy From Rape Similar To 'Having A Baby Out Of Wedlock'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Tom Smith, GOP Senate Candidate: Pregnancy From Rape Similar To 'Having A Baby Out Of Wedlock'

Source: Huffington Post

Laura Bassett

Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith (R) stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims. Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having a baby out of wedlock."

FULL story at link.

Someone should tell these GOP neanderthals to shut up already. I don't think they could make themselves more removed from mainstream society, but here is another example of what patronizing, patriarchal, condescending disgusting morons they can be.

RAPE - it's just like having a baby out of wedlock!"

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
And they wonder why women are rather concerned about the GOP. I am sorry and as much as I understand that there are many GOP voters that do not subscribe to the madness that has apparently overtaken their candidates, it is becoming quite clear that this isn't a fringe view. That these views are very much the mainline view and agenda of the party.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've yet to hear one GOP candidate make a sane, rational, or even compassionate statement about rape.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Macabe

F&S for the OP! Just another fine example of TP/GOP mentality.

The GOP isn't pissed off at Todd Akin because he said something they actually disagree with. They're pissed off because he exposed their true agenda for what it really is. It's in their party platform for pete's sake!
edit on 27-8-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I've yet to hear a Republican candidate make a sane, rational or compassionate remark about anything.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Macabe

Source: Huffington Post

Laura Bassett

Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith (R) stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims. Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having a baby out of wedlock."

Where do these guys COME FROM????? Seriously, it's like they don't live in the real world. They're completely clueless. Pretty disgusting.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Where do they get these guys? Is there a special training course they go on to become utter idiots?

These are the people who want to run the USA and do run the USA, remember that. These are the people who will decide on your next war, your civil rights and the laws under which you live.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
And this is why I will never identify with Republicans, no matter how conservative some of my views become as I get older.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

But don't you know that women, minorities and gays are not important issues. These guys will protect your right to gun down teenagers armed with iced tea without any real reason. Now that there is an important issue.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

it is becoming quite clear that this isn't a fringe view. That these views are very much the mainline view and agenda of the party.

I don't think it's a fringe view to the dominant amount of religious, and this party is dominantly religious. This isn't new and therefore not a new prevalent belief. We are all just more aware atm.

Where do they get these guys? Is there a special training course they go on to become utter idiots?

Church.

It is a special training course.
edit on 28-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept

These are the people who want to run the USA and do run the USA, remember that. These are the people who will decide on your next war, your civil rights and the laws under which you live.

I mentioned this in another thread about these troglodytes DOMINIONISM, google it if you're concerned with the future of a free democratic republic.

These regressive republicans are part of a concerted 30+ year movement to institute a christian theocracy in this country.
There is no compromising with these "people", if you're not a part of their group & believe as they do you're the enemy, the foot soldiers of satan worthy of being struck down in the name of their lord god.
Yes they are that crazy & if they manage to consolidate power here they will make the Taliban look like a bunch of over eager cub scouts.

www.google.com...

Here are some good links for background.
www.theocracywatch.org...
www.rightwingwatch.org...
www.publiceye.org...
edit on 28-8-2012 by aethertek because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Most of the Republican male candidate's wives I see looking adoringly at their mates with that odd stare..... pretty much like a Stepford wife....... robotic, blind faith, intelligence blinders on, creep me out. They also remind me of some of the Nazi women in old film and pictures as they gaze at their Nazi male counterpart with that worshipping look. I guess they add IQ lowering operations to their other cosmetic procedures. Remove some cellulite, remove some wrinkles, remove some brain matter....... the Republicans of that type, the one mentioned here and Akin, want to drag women back a few decades.... will women still be allowed to vote when they are through? Have a career? Own property? They aren't just Neocons, they are also Neanderthals.
edit on 28-8-2012 by jaxnmarko because: Spelling and grammar

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
No it's not the same or similar, only in his and his warped mind and the minds of those who think similar to him.

One is rape one is not. There is a big difference. What about about all the happy unmarried couples who have children out of marriage, is it nice to say that child is similar to a child conceived from rape? Calling the child unwanted and the father a rapist?

He is only saying this to say "look at me, I have suffered a similar incident (when it wasn't rape) so y u mad?". Plus there's a lot of time between pregnancy and conceiving a child too, alot of time where the woman has a choice to have an abortion. Something he doesn't want women to have (the choice).

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept

Tea Party Boot Camp. More and more Tea Party-minded people are being elected to Congress and Senate.

These are the people who want to run the USA and do run the USA, remember that.

Exactly. Obama recently said that Romney's views for this election are becoming more and more in line with the far-right Tea Party Congress. If he gets elected, there will be some major negative changes to the state of our nation.

President Barack Obama said Mitt Romney has locked himself into "extreme positions" on economic and social issues and would surely impose them if elected...

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well, I wasn't going to vote this presidential election as they both (ha ha just 2 candidates
) are a joke. I'm going to now have to vote for Obama. Maybe the republicans are setting us up for this. Maybe Obama is TPTB's choice.

The population is waking up from its GTA recklessness. It's now going to take a huge event to turn us away from rationality. I hope we do something right in our wakeful moment.
edit on 28-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Macabe

I think baby jesus is crying right now......
wow.
I think we need to mount an expedition for the 2 brain cells left in his head so that he can have a lucid comment.

Einstein has it right in this situation.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

edit on 28-8-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Tea Party Boot Camp. More and more Tea Party-minded people are being elected to Congress and Senate.

Somehow Americans have been fooled into thinking that extremism only applies to folks that worship a different God or speak a different language.

To the Taliban...having sex out of wedlock...being raped....NO DIFFERENCE...and both a CRIME committed by the woman.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Can someone please start a "Vote third Party" thread? Someone with the time to keep it going? I will wholeheartedly contribute to keep it going until elections.

This is beyond ridiculous, our 2 parties and candidates .

Sorry to get off topic, I've got to run, but somebody with the time, start the above mentioned thread! We could make a concerted effort to keep the topic alive and maybe more would stream from it.

ANd maybe the MSM would catch on, since they pick up news from us on slow days.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Macabe

Does that mean I raped my mrs? I think if I did that she would have smacked me with the frying pan!

Me and my mrs are not married but have been together for 14 years, we have loverly children and are very happy.

<<   2 >>

join