It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercial Video Game hardware is able to read minds.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

scientists have discovered a way to mind-read personal secrets, such as bank PIN numbers and personal associations, using a cheap headset. Utilizing commercial brain-wave reading devices, often used for hands-free gaming, the researchers discovered that they could identify when subjects recognized familiar objects, faces, or locations, which helped them better guess sensitive information

More specifically, we are interested in understanding how easily this technology can be turned against its users to reveal their private information, that is, information they would not knowingly or willingly share

Brain Hacking: Scientists Extract Personal Secrets With Commercial Hardware

After reading this I thought, "what if cameras attached to advertisements were able to sense eye movement, body temp change and posture to calculate how the ad has effected you?"

What do you think?
edit on 27-8-2012 by ilikestarz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So, commercial video game hardware is not, in fact, able to read minds like your title suggests?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Exactly how many times do you think of your bank PIN or viable 'valuable' knowledge when playing any game?? I sure dont. I can see them retrieving a lot of useless # 'knowledge' from this. Unless games of course start asking you the questions themselves hahah, then they could really get sensitive things.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilikestarz

What do you think?
edit on 27-8-2012 by ilikestarz because: (no reason given)

I think it is a sensationalized title about a non-existent technology.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It's to be expected.

Commercially is how they will get many to consent to such an invasive method.

We asked for transparency... Well we didn't mean a one way street...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Is this not a cover for Kinect recording peolpe ? something to ponder

2nd

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hahahaha, there are things video games can do, and not do... I would believe subliminal messaging, but reading minds?!?!?! You have to be kidding. I'm a world class gamer, and have yet to see any programming code released by a video game that is capable of reading minds.

After reading your quotations though, it would seem that this has nothing to do with video games. Also what your referring to by suggestion cameras being able to read physiological changes is already a real thing. Yet that has nothing to do with reading brain waves by wearing a trojan horse headset with sensors capable of not only reading but processing and sending a messages to specific locations in the brain. This technology would not be manageable for at least another decade or two. The technology simply isn't small enough yet to process that amount of information.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Though it is very ineffective at this point and time (relying on perfect conditions) I dont think it will be too awful long before they come up with a way to break into all your personal thoughts which is pretty creepy.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

Not the games, but the hardware.

top topics

join