Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

TEOTWAWKI. Predator or Prey? Or maybe a Lone Wolf?

page: 1
4

log in

join

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is something that has crossed my grey matter from time to time.

In a TEOTWAWKI event will you become a predator in order to get where you’re going where you know you will have a modicum of safety? Meaning stealing from others, even if you have to take lives. Can you do it?

To be truthful, I think that the predators will outnumber the prey.

The “Prey” on the other hand does have defensive measures of their own and may take the predators lives in self defense.

The “Prey” may be the more dangerous threat if organized. You just don’t want to screw with a group that cares for one another.

Then you have the lone wolf. The one who evaluates whether a group is safe to contact or maybe sneak in at O-dark thirty and takes what he needs.

The Lone Wolf is still a threat to all involved as they know what they are after, but yet take no more than they need.

And that Lone Wolf could still become part of the overall pack.

If such a event were to occur, were do you stand?

Myself? I think that I am a bit of all three. As they say in the miliary, situation dictates.




posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
truthfully, humans will band together, leaders will emerge and we'll get thru it together.

people who chose to kill and murder to steal will quickly find themselves hanging from trees, tried and convicted according to the old laws.

what you're suggesting is pure hollywood.

not even somalia is that bad.

and if you want to practice those kind of survival skills, try them there and see what will happen to you.

somalia has been a shtf zone for decades now.



posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex
 


Randomname called it straight.

The so-called lone wolf won't stand a chance unless he intends to spend a lot of time to merge with a clan, tribe or group and then turns against it in some way. Even today outsiders, from another state, another town or across the holler in the US are suspect until they prove themselves as neighborly and still they are watched to see how much is genuine and how much is phony. In the days you speak of, the hail to the parameter of the group, likely as not, will be to "Keep moving on, stranger." Or maybe there will ljust be a loud noise because they will have dealt with your kind before.



posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun
 





Even today outsiders, from another state, another town or across the holler in the US are suspect until they prove themselves as neighborly


Are you really that Xenophobic
That someone can not move into a new place without being labelled Suspect

Cran



posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
luckily am far from that cesspool people call "civilisation" ....
doubt anyone would make it out to where am at - too many things along the way that would get them first ... the jungle .. wild animals .. unexploded 40+ year old u.s ordinance laying around ... then theres the local villagers who have sent everyone packing that tried to take the area - they tossed out the french , the americans , the vietnamese and the chinese ... the governments of china and vietnam both wont send troops into the area as in past they lost too many ...
life out here will go on as it always has ...
as for me it will just be another day ...



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun
 


Random in my opinion does not have it straight. I should maybe have pointed out how people in a first world country will react. Somalia has a very tribal, hence family oriented mindset. They also don't have the current comforts of first world countries. So he is correct there.

In a TEOTWAWKI event, I would do everything possible to get back to family, which is a roughly 600 mile trip.

So yep, I could see myself doing all three, just to get home. At which point, I would once again be a member of the tribe.

The trip between point A and point B would be perilous though. Of that, I am sure.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think we will be pray to our selves and bacteria micro-organisms ...beans bullets booze and soap...have those and have power

___________________________________________________________________

reply to post by Expat888
 


for as long as you have electricity
edit on 28-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
I think we will be pray to our selves and bacteria micro-organisms ...beans bullets booze and soap...have those and have power

___________________________________________________________________

reply to post by Expat888
 


for as long as you have electricity
edit on 28-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)


have solar to run lights and charge mobile with .. otherwise dont use as no aircon and no other electrical appliances ... even if the solar goes down no worries as not dependent on modern tech ... prefer a simple , quiet life ...



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I would look for team members to work as a gang of Wolves. Looking for food water,shelter and protecting each other from external dangers!

Crew members are always welcome



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think whatever predation there is after a precipitating event, it will be very brief.

Let's suppose you are a genius lone wolf, and have a basic 75% chance of robbing any given group of campers. That means that you have only a 57% chance of surviving two encounters in a row; and only 43% chance of surviving all three of your first encounters....

And that doesn't even account for the fact that other predators will be out there, picking off the easiest targets. So depending on how high the proportion of predators to prey is, the prey population will be both rapidly diminished and rapidly educated as to how to survive an attack. 2 or three weeks into it, bands of campers will have learned how to set a watch, how to set up overlapping fields of fire, how to set up decoys, and how to cache supplies so that even a surprise attack doesn't take all supplies.

There's a second dimension I haven't even mentioned yet. Humans have a universal drive to organize themselves. Humans everywhere, at every tech level, gather themselves into clans or chiefdoms or fiefdoms or nascent nation-states. Someone opens a bodega or a flea market, and customers offer to help police the perimeter. The next thing you know they are building walls and checkpoints. And that is assuming absolutely NO civic organization has survived from the previous culture. If there is a librarian or postman or fire chief that survives from the previous civilization, they are automatically looked to as the new leader. That is what happened to the Roman Catholic Church. Originally, the bishop of Rome was seen as the least of the 'ancient' bishops of the church. But after the Goths, the Vandals, the Magyars as the Moors, the "bishop of Rome" was the only civil authority or intellectual left.


The third dimension is xenophobia

In addition to banding together, humans have a universal fear of outsiders. It will be easy for them to justify excluding people based on the flimsiest of excuses. And after a collapse, there will be no ID or records. How will a village recognize someone who is a professional criminal in that circumstance? A tattoo that can be construed to be a "prison tat" might get you killed at that point.

From a village standpoint, the best way to keep out marauders is to set up a village and build a wall around it. Next, they clear fields of fire, with absolutely no cover out to 300 or 500 yards. They can lay out a road for vehicles, plus signposts to aid with ranging for their sniper or mortar crew. Imagine what it would feel like to emerge from the woods with your group from the edge of the woods. In front of you is an area that has been cleared of all "old fashioned" buildings and even vehicles, with just low crops growing. There are several burnt-out vehicles on the road leading to town, and you can see several watchtowers along the village walls. Are you going to approach that village like you are coming in to take over? Or do you send in a single messenger ahead to parley?





new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join