It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
I would say that indoctrinating your children with religious belief through scare tactics causes mental illness and is in many ways equal to rape, and should be equally punishable in the court of law.

You are entitled to your opinion. So go ahead and raise any children you have in a manner that matches your opinion. Leave others to raise their children in their faith as they see fit. It's their constitutional right. I disagree with creationism ... but I can't push my disbelief of it onto others. I dont' have that right.

p.s. Creationism is not a theory. It's just a baseless idea. Learn the difference.

PS ... Creationism is a theory. Evolution is a theory. None of us were eyewitness' to what happened and there is no scientific proof of either of them happening. Learn to deal with the truth of it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MCL1150

"Natural selection" How does nothing know how to manipulate its environment and creatures, I guess evolution (natural selection) has eyes to see and intelligence thought patterns to evolve its environment and creatures, Wow...sounds like a God to me :-)

Mutations, such as a longer tail for balance, proved advantageous and thus those with it lived longer and thus passed on their DNA more and thus, after many years, the species had longer tails.

This is all very basic of the theory. I am not sure why you would ask me, a laymen, without some kind of research into it beforehand.

If you expect me to explain the very basics to you, then there are better sources than myself. Please, be my guest, bring up question that stump you despite research. But actually do some research first.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
i agree with the science guy... mr Nye

the creationist view is a topic for adult minds to ponder

filling young heads with supernatural thoughts is quite confusing to those young minds
creationism could be taught side-by-xide with evolution in the high school grades
say 8th-12th grades

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

p.s. Creationism is not a theory. It's just a baseless idea. Learn the difference.

PS ... Creationism is a theory. Evolution is a theory. None of us were eyewitness' to what happened and there is no scientific proof of either of them happening. Learn to deal with the truth of it.

Creationism is not a theory. Unlike the theory of evolution, creationism cannot be tested and it does not make predictions. It's just an idea. It's easy to prove the theory of evolution wrong. For example, you can show a 100 million year old human fossil, and that's it. If creationism is a theory, as you insist, then please tell me, how to prove it wrong.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

You've said and made clear your positions on Faith and all who believe in it. Short of that changing, which it won't, I don't think we can ever come any closer on this issue than we are right here, right now. (gazes across the Grand Canyon) We're a long way apart.

Without at least a basic and fundamental respect for Religion as a right of anyone and everyone to practice as they see fit, children included, the logic here is circular and we could debate this back and forth like an endless ping pong game.

So.. Without saying anything else in some attempt to squeeze in the last word or get the last point, I'm going to agree to disagree and leave it lay. I'm sure I've had my say and then some. I'm certain the thread doesn't need another 4000+ character note when it's going to be talking at, not with each other.

No offense and no hard feelings, I hope...either direction. We're just too far apart to see the common ground. I am no member of organized religion. I am, however, very much a follower of a Faith and it defines my values, morals and judgments. As such, and in this topic... I don't see where that leaves anywhere left to go. It's sure not worth it as a topic to push further and into true hard feelings either way.

@ I starred down your posts because this has been an enojoyable give and take. It's great, on occasion, to debate the really intractable issues like this with folks who don't 'go to guns' so to speak and get personal w/ ugly attack. I do appreciate the interesting start to a brand new day.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: added note

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Without at least a basic and fundamental respect for Religion as a right of anyone and everyone to practice as they see fit, children included, the logic here is circular and we could debate this back and forth like an endless ping pong game.

What if a religion includes the command that when a daughter reaches the age of 8, her father is to have sex with her as a rite of passage. Should we respect this? You see, many of us see the brainwashing of children that fundamentalists practice as equally serious and harmful child abuse. This brainwashing practically removes freedom of religion (as well as the ability to logical reasoning in many cases) from the poor child..
edit on 28-8-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I like your posts as well and it has been an enjoyable experience. I agree that we can can disagree and that is fine and, in fact, great. I hope we get the chance to discuss more issues with each other as well.

Since neither of us will have the last word on the argument, I think my post should end with something else.

Pretty cool, eh?

edit on 28-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

A creationist will never answer the following questions: If species were created as are, then why is it that we don't find 100s of millions of years old fossils that are similar to contemporary species such as humans, elephants, rhinos, bears, dolphins or dogs? Why is it that the newer the fossil, the more similar it is to contemporary species, as if these lineages somehow changed over time?

They where put there to test their faith

WARNING: Graphic Language

www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-8-2012 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

You've made my morning. There are few Youtubes I bother with to download directly and save but that sure is one of them. I agree with saying that is Vegas material and I'd go pretty far out of my way to see a show by those guys in person.

On that uplifting note, I'm gonna see about a bit of sleep now that my Son is off to school and I don't have it myself on Tuesdays this term. 'Night/Morning all and they'd sure have my vote as winning act!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I remember a while ago I was in a museum looking at Dinosaur fossils when a creationist school group came through.

I remember the teachers explaining to the children that these giant monsters were walking the earth just a few hundred years ago with the native australians and the other mega-fauna (must have been pretty croweded out on those open planes).

Funny that the Aboriginals have no memory passed down from their ancestors or in cave paintings of such beastsa walking amongst them (with the exeption of mega-Fauna).

I remember asking the lecturer where he studied and what qualifications he had and the reply was masters degree in bible science...

This is an actual academic form of study for this day and age?

So it isn't just aAmerica where this primitive view of the world exists.

What some of our children (our future leaders) are being taught is just frightening..!!
edit on 8/28/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/28/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Meh, i would not be worried. i mean, this generation is already looking at the retardedness of creationism. Next generation would not even consider.

Its good to have the IDEA. but it stays there! should not involve in the making of laws etc. I don't mind people practicing, but keep it out of science and serious discussion.

Just like how people don't think that Thunder and Lightning is not "god" getting mad anymore.

lol, imagine back in the days the anti-creationist are like "I'm pretty sure, thunder and lightning has something to do with clouds and possibly hot and cold wind...." then a typical creationist of that time," Its god!, he did it!, he will smite you if you do not believe, and this should be taught!"

oh my how the times have changed.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
All one has to do is watch "A Case for Christ" and the series, "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" and it becomes abundantly clear that evolution is comedy. Once you see how many assumptions are made in the theory of evolution, because they aren't provable using science, (how ironic is that?), it becomes clear that it takes a greater leap of faith be believe that everything came from an explosion. An explosion of "nothing". I think it's so cool when "nothing" explodes and creates "something". Like an entire universe. And that something, somehow, (unexplained by science), "evolves" into everything. I'm laughing just writing this.

There are simply too many creatures that could not survive if they didn't have all of their present characteristics. They would die, and dead creatures don't evolve. To put it simply, they had to be that wall all along to exist in the first place.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

Its funny that people form most of there opinion on a subject by documentaries they ve watch on it, when most have an agenda to promote. But if that's where you want to get your info from go right ahead.
edit on 28-8-2012 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by axslinger
All one has to do is watch "A Case for Christ" and the series, "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" and it becomes abundantly clear that evolution is comedy. Once you see how many assumptions are made in the theory of evolution, because they aren't provable using science, (how ironic is that?), it becomes clear that it takes a greater leap of faith be believe that everything came from an explosion. An explosion of "nothing". I think it's so cool when "nothing" explodes and creates "something". Like an entire universe. And that something, somehow, (unexplained by science), "evolves" into everything. I'm laughing just writing this.

There are simply too many creatures that could not survive if they didn't have all of their present characteristics. They would die, and dead creatures don't evolve. To put it simply, they had to be that wall all along to exist in the first place.

It's incredibly sad that creationist can't even tell evolution and big bang apart. To be that dim-witted..

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Yeah, i stopped replying to people who get answers from their pastor.

Its easy to notice those people by the way they connect Abiogenesis and Evolution, oh yeah and the Big Bang theory... for them its all one...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Nothing stumps me! I think it's funny how folks believe that nothing created something, like God doesn't have a say, how comical !!! Oh I can see it now, when your life is over, on the other side your creator (GOD) will be waiting for you. I can hear your cry now saying: "You're not suppose to be here"!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
You don't get to decide what is appropriate for my children.
Doesn't matter what I teach them, as that's my private business.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.

If what you say is true, would you then accept that there is "science" in the Torah? The Koran? Or would it just happen that the book you value happens to coincidentally be the one with the science?

Somehow I suspect Christians think it only valid that their book be taught and if one insisted the Koran or Torah be taught, they'd go blind with rage and indignation.

so true, when my born again christian friends tell me i must believe in god i always ask " which God are we talking about"
edit on 28-8-2012 by jed001 because: typo

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

It's none of his business if people of faith wish to teach their children creationism.
It doesn't hurt anyone and it's their right as parents to pass along their faith.
What alternative does he suggest? Evolution?
Evolution is a THEORY just as creationism is a THEORY.
The guy is a weeenieeee.

Theory? You dare talking about creationism as a THEORY? Prove it. How could it be disproven? What are the predictions of this theory? Do you (and I have to take it to the personal level, even if it looks childish, but this just hits my buttons) even understand what a theory IS?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm a Christian and I love science, and I believe in Micro evolution. The problem with this clip and with macro evolutionist is that most of their claims have no proof to back them up. If macro evolution were true the majority of the fossil record should consist of transitional species, because the area between A & B animal would be far more vast then the modern animal and the original animal. Plus at best most fossilized skeleton are only discovered 80% complete leaving the "scientist" to build the rest from imagination. carbon dating has also been shown many times to be almost completely unreliable and cannot date anything past 50,000 years.

The study of macro Evolution is only about 150 years old, yet the scientific community takes it as almost a completely perfect theory. Which is another problem evolution is not a fact it is a hypothesis in order for it to be considered a fact, you have to be able to test it, and test it multiple times getting the same outcome. Until this happens evolution is just another hypothesis, and is just as valid as creationism.

edit on 28-8-2012 by bigcountry08 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join