It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoboticNomad
Kids should still learn about evolution, even if they also learn about the alternatives too. Stopping the teaching of evolution would truly hold us back because it would take away a chance for kids to decided for themselves.

But what IF evolution were a lie and a huge fraud designed to cause them to believe there is no God when in fact God created everything.

This has NOTHING to do with kids deciding for themselves, this is about an agenda to control kids minds.

This is about fraud and mind control and those who can't SEE that are victims of the very SAME mind control themselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Who says that creation has be the essence of supernatural dogma? To be honest, most likely everyone is wrong. And it's not helping a single bit that the religious & hard-atheist/empiricist are placing the existential debate in a dichotomous light.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
That's probably the most PATHETIC ARGUMENT I'VE EVER HEARD. What a moron. And I could see him talking threw his azz if it was just one adult to another, but to say that it's not good for Children. What a jerk off! He should be racked and quartered in the old english method they used on Braveheart for his gross negligent insubordination!

Top 10 Reasons Evolution is Wrong

1. Birds – When you really think about the idea of natural selection and apply it to certain species, it doesn’t always make sense. For example, why would birds evolve wings if they didn’t need to fly before? What use were wings before they were big enough to get the bird off the ground? Until wings evolved completely, they would be useless, and so why did birds supposedly spend millions of generations evolving a useful wing?

2. No Missing Links – If the species today evolved from other species millions of years ago, why aren’t we digging up fossils of all these missing links? Evolutionists will line up pictures of extinct ape skills and compare them to a human skull, but the gaps between each species are still too big.

3. Single Cell Complexity – Evolutionists believe that all life evolved from a single cell organism, which came about when molecules combined in a random way. Then the cell supposedly divided and ended up creating more sophisticated life forms. Yet scientists aren’t even sure how this occurred. No laboratory has ever been able to produce a single living cell.

4. The Human Reproductive System – We all know that a male and female each contribute one chromosome in the form of a sperm and an egg. This leads to the development of a baby in the mother’s womb. Although evolutionists claim that environmental factors change the chromosomes and cause small changes in the offspring, this is impossible. Environmental factors cannot change chromosomes in the ovaries or sperm cells.

5. DNA Repair – The DNA replication process includes an error-checking method and repair process to ensure it is performed correctly. Mutation does occur, but it is much rarer than evolutionists would have us believe.

6. Chaos from Organization – The Second Law of Thermodynamics expresses the universal principle of decay in nature. Chaos must come from organization, not the other way around as evolution suggests. God’s perfect creation has been moving toward chaos since the Fall of man.

7. Fixed Chromosome Count – All species have a fixed number of chromosomes that cannot be changed. This is why one species cannot mate with another. If an animal had one more or one less chromosome because of a mutation, it could not successfully mate. Scientists have mated lions and tigers in zoos to make “ligers,” but these animals are always sterile.

8. “Mitochondrial” Adam and Eve – Several different scientific studies have traced the DNA of the human race back to a single man and woman who lived about 6000 years ago. According to evolutionists, humans gradually evolved from monkeys. Yet the DNA the scientists have discovered hasn’t changed for over 6000 years.

9. The Cambrian Explosion – The deepest fossil layers contain simple bacteria, yet right about these layers is what’s known as the “Cambrian Explosion” – a fantastic variety of species, including vertebrates. Where’s the missing link between the bacteria and all those species?

10. The Human Race – The Bible tells us that God created man in His image. No other species even comes close to being as intelligent and sophisticated as we are. If we evolved from monkeys, shouldn’t there be species that come close to our level of intelligence?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Banananananana

Well I can agree that lessons on evolution could start with "This is an alternative to creationism supported more by science and may be constantly revised and changed," but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by being taught in a philosophical context.

As for the held back comment, I don't really believe you can hold back science in any way other than not letting people decide for themselves. If someone wants to believe something it's their choice and forcing them to believe something they otherwise wouldn't, could only hurt science. In fact, if someone chooses to believe something different, it could help science by having them constantly search for the truth of their alternative using scientific means.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

If you are using the Term...INTELLIGENT DESIGN...as it should be used...thus...Universal or Multiversal Design based on Scientific Fact and Evolution being the Driving Force behind our Creation...then that is fine.

If you are using...and you have said you are not...OF PANDAS AND PEOPLE...was a Children's Book of SUCH SCIENTIFIC STUPIDITY it boggles the mind!
Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

And what if I believe the same about creationism? This is why you let people decide for themselves, and both should be there for kids. I can't make you believe what I do, and you can't do the same.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Yea everything you listed doesn't prove 'Creationism'. If anything it's evidence for intelligent design... that doesn't mean it's design by a god of the Bible. Or the Qur'an. Being an intelligent species on planet Earth isn't proof for any religious viewpoint either; seeing at there are sextillions of planets in the universe, there's a good chance other sentient lifeforms are out there.

Do you have any proof for this “Mitochondrial” Adam and Eve traced back to 6000 years ago thing? Any valid sources?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Im not saying I believe Darwinism or Creationism but there are a lot of inaccuracies in that list. like the DNA being traced back 6000 years to a single man and woman is just wrong. The bird thing has to many variable to say either way. Id like to see the references to the information used on that list cause a lot of it is wrong and a lot is just opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

If you are using the Term...INTELLIGENT DESIGN...as it should be used...thus...Universal or Multiversal Design based on Scientific Fact and Evolution being the Driving Force behind our Creation...then that is fine.

If you are using...and you have said you are not...OF PANDAS AND PEOPLE...was a Children's Book of SUCH SCIENTIFIC STUPIDITY it boggles the mind!
Split Infinity

Pandas & People? Again, never heard of or read the book. If you look at this reality, our existence, & everything it's not hard to believe that there could be an external sentient force. Take a look at the evolution of computing technology; this decade we're emerging into the exaflop range --- then zetta, yotta, and xera eventually. It's not hard to imagine that the cumulative result of our technological evolution may most likely result in simulations of universes/alternate realities.

So to say that WE have the capability to spawn creation, but NOTHING else ever has.... is simply not sane or logical. No sane person will assess the facts & our current situation as conscious beings; and then for some reason assume we're the singular case in all eternity..

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RoboticNomad

What I mean by philosophical context is that regardless if it is creationism or evolution, it is a branch of knowledge trying to understand the beginnings of human existence. Simply because evolution entails a biological component does not make it valid or even scientific in and of itself. Phrenology might come to mind in this regard.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam
Evolution also has some issues of its own, which I have doubts are included in many curriculums.

Hiya Serdgiam,

Really enjoyed reading your post!

And I would agree with this also. Just science classrooms in highschools in general are hit and miss. I went to several different schools growing up, and it was all very varied. I had one teacher that explained things in a really well and rounded way to me, but I've also had out of date text books, disinterested teaching methods, and very opinionated teachers.

I believe high school science in general is very poor. I would also note though that evolution was an incredibly small part of all my educational experiences in high school. I think it's often over stated the impact it has. Though I guess the fact that some people are still referring to evolution theory as 'Darwinism' is a good indicator of high school science classes.

Other usesThe term Darwinism is often used in the United States by promoters of creationism, notably by leading members of the intelligent design movement, as an epithet to attack evolution as though it were an ideology (an "ism") of philosophical naturalism, or atheism.[15]

Source

Darwinism does not = the current theory of evolution.

Other really useful link: Scientific Theory

Especially the part that a law is no a theory and a theory won't become a law. I'd also highlight the part about theories drawing on many different fields. IE ... evolution does not just exist in a vacuum. I'd also strongly recommend the reading of the essential critiera for a theory here: Essential Criteria

It's difficult to discuss when everyone is discussing five different ideas of what they think a theory is.

Last side note ... If intelligent design can satisfy the Essential Criteria
then by all means bring it into the science class room.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Pinke because: Extra links etc ...

edit on 28-8-2012 by Pinke because: Last side note

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Catholicism is part of Christianity. Seeing ridiculous statements like this explains why people have the ridiculous beliefs they do.

SPEAKING of ridiculous beliefs...

Catholicism is the largest and most dangerous cult in the entire world.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control. The indoctrination of the masses by a "Trojan Horse" false religion has allowed the Illuminati to take control and work in secret for many, many years." Link

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
We have all these wonderful things, things that save lives and improve life, that are born from scientific exploration of reality.

Science is the very idea of understanding reality. It is holding the universe in your mind.

It is amazing, after all that has been discovered or built on its basis, that people today still want to deny it in favor of a book full of contradictions and fairy tales.

I really am awestruck to hear people come up with lofty justifications for denying the validity of the sciences. Unless you are contesting one theory with one that explains things better, than you really, and will never ever, have any ground to stand on. At least not when faced with any sort of critical thought or questioning.

Religion: As long as you don't think about, you can understand it.

Science: If you don't think about it, then you can't understand it.
edit on 28-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
This guy is ridiculous

1. Creationism aside... there are still many inconsistencies with evolution and as far as I am concerned the jury is still out. It may have even more debate than global warming.

2. If a Christians fundamental belief system involves preaching creationism why would Bill expect to convince parents not to teach their children. He is just being ignorant.

3. Not all problems are solveable with logic, as Kurt Godel(Good friend of Albert Einstein) stated in his Incompleteness Theorem. Everything relies on certain axioms or assumptions about the world. So even science at it's basic level relies on faith. He also states you will not know in advance which problems are solveable with logic and which ones are not. So if you give him any credibility it may be that proving or disproving creationism is not possible. Rendering this entire discussion pointless and still making Bill Nye an ignorant moron.(I made this discovery with intuition)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I have said many times that there is not a conflict with a persons belief in GOD and the FACT of EVOLUTION. If people want to get ticky tack and compare specific wording of the Bible or any other Religious Book of doctrines and stories such as GOD creating everything in 6 days or Adam and Eve...then yes...there is a conflict...but it does not conflict the concept of the existence of a GOD using Evolution as a way to create Humanity.

The Intelligent Design Book and now Books were anything but Intelligent and were beyond non-scientific. If you get a chance...read a bit of the Book I listed as it is a good laugh! Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoboticNomad
And what if I believe the same about creationism? This is why you let people decide for themselves, and both should be there for kids. I can't make you believe what I do, and you can't do the same.

Mind control masquerading as education makes "deciding for themselves" meaningless.

You will NEVER truly comprehend this subject as long as you are still believing lies.

That is the REASON I said:

This is about fraud and mind control and those who can't SEE that are victims of the very SAME mind control themselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I loved his show so much as a child. It was absolutely radical to me

He seems so uncomfortable talking. I wish someone with such a big audience would be more fearless and ballsy about their convictions. These are things that should really be discussed. I love that he was willing to say something like this though. Generally children+subtraction of religion=madness, to a lot of people. He was very careful, but concise.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by centrifugal

1. Creationism aside... there are still many inconsistencies with evolution and as far as I am concerned the jury is still out. It may have even more debate than global warming.

The jury is out on certain aspects of it. Evolution itself, is a scientific fact.

2. If a Christians fundamental belief system involves preaching creationism why would Bill expect to convince parents not to teach their children. He is just being ignorant.

You are right. His word are, probably, all in vain.

So even science at it's basic level relies on faith

At its basis science relies on observation. There are no scientific papers on unicorns, because unicorns are not being observed.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I've always wondered... Why one or the other and why should children be denied ANY major form of belief and thought in society as something laid out for their understanding and consideration? Age is certainly an appropriate consideration as a 1st or 2nd grader doesn't need creationism OR evolution. Either, at that age, would be indoctrination, not education.

However, if by late Middle School and certainly into High School, we are saying the kids cannot reason for themselves and make their own judgement calls for the intensely personal matters of Faith or the choice to have none at all, then we have FAR FAR larger issues than simply what theory is presented to them. The entire system has failed them and society if by that point, Creationism or ANY widely held belief must be hidden away like some dark knowledge for fear they will be influenced to do something rash...like believe there is a power higher than themselves.

Additionally, who the heck said BOTH cannot be true???? We STARTED here somehow and I don't buy the puddle of galactic sewage as the source of every diverse and intelligent (or not) species around us. THAT makes as little sense as PURE creationism. Has it EVER been considered on those two far extremes that something put or seeded life here...whatever it may have been.....and THEN life EVOLVED after that point? That probably makes the most straight, secular logic of all the arguments, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.

Examples would help your argument here. Bill Nye is a tool why? For having an opinion?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join