It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

The bible and Koran positively promote the rape and abuse of women. Look at Abraham himself who supposedly started the whole joke. He offered his wife and daughter up for rape to protect a man he just met.

Why a woman would ever join a religion is beyond me. They truly are second class citizens in religion.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GafferUK1981
reply to post by john_bmth

The bible and Koran positively promote the rape and abuse of women. Look at Abraham himself who supposedly started the whole joke. He offered his wife and daughter up for rape to protect a man he just met.

Why a woman would ever join a religion is beyond me. They truly are second class citizens in religion.

Who was Abraham's daughter? You need to reread it to get the people right in the stories you reference, there are three people wrong in your post.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by WarminIndy

Well done you for completely missing my point. Let me ask you directly: is the reason you are not a rapist because you're afraid of angering your god? Let me clarify: of your bible said rape was absolutely fine, would you go out and start raping people?
edit on 31-8-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

I find it amazing that people who say these things in the Bible never actually read the Bible, in context or entirety. No, rape is a dehumanizing act that is evil and destructive. The Bible is very clear in making us see the humanity in others. So now, do you approve of rape if a non-religious person does it? Why do they do it? What fear do they have? Absolutely none.

Again, you take the moral stance that rape is wrong, against the moral relativism of a rapist who lives according to their own set of moral codes. In the framework of moral relativism, you cannot say rape is immoral. You have imposed a morality a rapist does not agree with. The rapist asks you, "is your morality higher than mine?" If you believe in moral relativism, then your morality is relative to you, and the rapist's morality is relative to him. Either something is morally wrong or it is not. But me saying this, I am taking a moral stance. By you saying rape is wrong, you are making a moral stance as well, but it is contradictory to the moral relativism of someone else.

Is your moral relativism greater? If it is, then there is no such thing as moral relativism and morality applies to everyone.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Same deal. It was Lot, Abraham's brother, or cousin or whatever. Still, it shows the attitude that woman were property and rape was A-Okay, as long as the woman's man said so!

Genesis 19:8
Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
First of all: the men wanted sexual intercourse - it isn't certain that they wished to rape anyone, if they willingly complied.

Lot offered his daughters instead of encouraging them to have unnatural sex as well as to prevent the citizens of the town from hurting the angels of god and bringing a wrath on themselves.

I believe he was under the impression that he didn't have a choice in the matter - given that he was surrounded, so he might have figured that this was preferable.

Either way, God did save him in the nick of time.
edit on 31-8-2012 by sensibleSenseless because: line add.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
would someone explain how NON-LIVING chemicals can produce living organisms?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Belief in god doesn't necessarily imply that the thirst for knowledge about the way the works will just stop. Most of the greats believed in a higher power of some kind. Simply saying "god doesn't exist" without any factual basis has just as much potential to hinder growth as touting negative religious dogma. If that's your belief that's your belief, and its only that. A belief. Just as I believe in a creator. It's interesting though, because when it comes down to it, our beliefs don't mean a thing. Considering there's a whole bunch of other people who think differently. Shouldn't put your B's on a high horse.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

We don't know yet, but image rocks that are able to think. They would say that their design is perfect. Change the atoms by 1% and a piece of quartz turns to sand. Without the pressure of gravity all rocks would have stayed dust. Without water there would be no layers of bedrock.

And yet, we do know how rocks formed. Just because we haven't figured out the process of making life (though we're close), it doesn't mean that a designer made us.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I get the feeling Bill and I wouldn't get along that well. However, I appreciate The Science Guy show. I also appreciate that Bill tells people to research our world instead of The Holy Bible or any other work of historical fiction. The universe is where the clues are. We should approach them without bias. We shouldn't be trying to fit the results to any myth or prophesy. We should be working with fact and theory. If the results don't fit the prediction, we try another theory or another test. It's a process of elimination and discovery. Corporations fit scientific results to their needs, and most people on ATS don't go for that. How is religion any different?
edit on 31-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

all fantasy is inappropriate for children and impressionable people imvho...they become deluded

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

We don't know yet, but image rocks that are able to think. They would say that their design is perfect. Change the atoms by 1% and a piece of quartz turns to sand. Without the pressure of gravity all rocks would have stayed dust. Without water there would be no layers of bedrock.

And yet, we do know how rocks formed. Just because we haven't figured out the process of making life (though we're close), it doesn't mean that a designer made us.

Will life occure without the help of the lab person proding it along?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Originally posted by MrXYZ

The difference is he used atheism as an excuse for his power crackdown, while religious killers actually kill BECAUSE of their religion.

If he used it as an excuse, then it was the motivating force behind his lust for power.

No, atheism wasn't the driving fierce behind his quest for power

Joseph Stalin speeches...

God's not unjust, he doesn't actually exist. We've been deceived. If God existed, he'd have made the world more just... I'll lend you a book and you'll see. A teenaged Stalin after reading The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin as quoted in Young Stalin (2007) by Simon Sebag Montefiore, p. 49

You know, they are fooling us, there is no God. A teenaged Stalin to a fellow student while studying to become a priest in the Russian Orthodox Church, as quoted in Landmarks in the Life of Stalin (1942) by Yemelyan Yaroslavsky, p. 9

This creature softened my heart of stone. She died and with her died my last warm feelings for humanity. At the funeral of his first wife, Kato Svanidze, on 25 November 1907, as quoted in Young Stalin (2007) by Simon Sebag Montefiore, p. 193

One of Ivan the Terrible's mistakes was to overlook the five great feudal families. If he had annihilated those five families, there would definitely have been no Time of Troubles. But Ivan the Terrible would execute someone and then spend a long time repenting and praying. God got in his way in this matter. He ought to have been still more decisive! Moskovskie novosti, no. 32, 7 August 1988

God is on your side? Is He a Conservative? The Devil's on my side, he's a good Communist. Said to Winston Churchill in Tehran, November 1943, as quoted in Fallen Eagle: The Last Days of the Third Reich (1995) by Robin Cross, p. 21

So what again was the motivation behind his lust for power?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I agree with Bill Nye. Religion is not for children and we have no business teaching it to children.

We already confuse the crap out of kids by telling them a old white man in a red suit fly's around the planet with a flying sled and reindeer using magic to teleport down chimneys and give presents to good kids. We teach them this magical jolly fat man can see everything that they do and makes a naughty and nice list.

We teach them a gigantic rabbit flys around the world delivering baskets full of candy and colored hard-boiled chicken eggs to kids.

Do we really need to tell them a space wizard watches everything that they do and magically created everything on earth as is and that science, logic, rational discourse, evidence are all bogus and instead they should believe in a 3,000 year old book about Sumerian fan fiction written by bronze age goat herders?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Science is a LIE!? That is one very ignorant statement. Science is a Method for determining FACT.

If my statements are ignorant, yours take ignorance to an entirely NEW level.

So much so, that I have to ask myself, are you REALLY interested in the TRUTH?

Religion is a method for connecting with God, instead it is used as mind control to keep people AWAY from God.

Medicine is a method for healing, instead it is used for depopulation.

ETC ETC ETC...

WHY should Science be the exception?

If you actually believe that Science is truth, you need to give yourself a MAJOR reality check!

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information, and religions destroy spirituality." ~ Michael Ellner

edit on 30-8-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

Science is not the search for TRUTH! SCIENCE IS A METHOD FOR PURPOSE OF OBTAINING FACT!
TRUTH is RELATIVE. Example...A person says...I have been working hard...it is TRUE! Another says...You have not! I have moved twice the number of crates you have! The First person replies...That is because you are Bigger than ME!

In SCIENCE...a person has moved 50 crates...the other has moved 100 crates. THESE ARE FACTS! As far as whether or not a person was working hard...it is subjective in it's TRUTH as to what HARD WORK constitutes...that can be held to a variety of standards.

So WORK facts as determined by Scientific Methodology is quantitative and quality tested. WORK truths are subjective and varied in their determination via opinion.

You tend to speak of TRUTHS...I tend to speak of FACTS. There is a difference. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.

If what you say is true, would you then accept that there is "science" in the Torah? The Koran? Or would it just happen that the book you value happens to coincidentally be the one with the science?

Somehow I suspect Christians think it only valid that their book be taught and if one insisted the Koran or Torah be taught, they'd go blind with rage and indignation.

Teaching Intelligent Design to children doesn't have to include the Bible, Koran or Torah, etc..

But it does provide a necessary layer over the savage animal inside us.

To put that into effect, would be a very cruel, deadly trick on the whole of humanity. Psychotic.

Who in here would want to live in enclave where "God" is held in the same esteem as the Easter Bunny,?

Not me.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

How would one teach intellegent design?

Lesson 1, God did did it! The End!

When a student asks "Why?"....... they need to be directed to research and facts. God made it that way, and some things we just aren't meant to understand, just won't cut it in public school.

You need to keep that kind of stuff at home.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

But I do live in a world where I consider god to be a fictional character just like the Easter bunny and Santa claus. It hasn't made me a psychotic killer, I live a good life.

I used to believe in all three when I was a child but do you know what happened, I simply grew up. It seems blindingly obvious to me that there is no god and it has since I was a teenager. I cannot understand how anybody can believe such nonsense. I know we are encouraged to respect religion but I can't, how can you respect the worship of an imaginary friend. It's laughable.

And as for saying there is no evidence that god doesn't exist. That's the oldest trick in the book. How are we supposed to prove that something that isn't there isn't there. I think seen as people put so much faith in god that the burden of proof should be on them to prove he is there. But do you know after thousands of years there isn't a shred of evidence that there is a god. Sure you can read a book by poorly educated primitives and believe it but I prefer to believe in facts and the fact is there is no evidence of god and science has proved many statements in the bible to be a fallacy.
edit on 1-9-2012 by GafferUK1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt
HA!

Bill Nye

=

EPIC FAIL

Evolution is a lie, apart of Darwin's control over science and philosiphy of the masses.. anyone who belives a spontanseous episode called "the BIG BANG" is just as lost as this guy haha.. man the human mind is easy is deceive..

And what, your saying that there's some old guy in a white robe, with a flowing white beard, sitting on a cloud in the sky, who waved his hand and everything just came to be...!?!

LOL Creation sounds much sillier and even more unrealistic than Evolution.

Gimme a break, we are the ones easily led..?

The church says it is true because it is in their book "written a couple of throusand years ago, by primitive men", and offer no sound evidence to back it up. Yet everytime I have this argument with a creationist he says he has evidence and then gives me a quote from that book as proof, instead of trying to at least give me a physical demonstration of why he is correct.

Science may not be perfect and we may not be able to tell the full story, but at least scientists can show physical evidence to support their claims...

Give me a sound, peer reviewed physical presentation that god created everything and sits on a cloud in the sky watching us and I'll convert without question...

I want proof at least as plausible as the evidence that science has provided tho..

Can you do it?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Will life occure without the help of the lab person proding it along?

That is a very good question. If life occurs without prodding, then it will be natural. If life needs prodding, then it only suggests that a very Non-godlike lab guy in another dimension could've created this life.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Nope.

OMG!!!!

That must mean....it can only mean...the magic Christian God did it.
You really made me think.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join