It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

page: 14
21
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
Good for him. Only in the U.S. would this comment by Nye be necessary and only here in the U.S. would his comment be considered controversial and evil. In the rest of the Western world, the the reaction would be, "No duh?And why is this news?"
edit on 27-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)


Id like to think its only parts of the us, mainly there where public education has been cut into submission.




posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by MrXYZ


Christ who's conception, birth, and Great Work of the cross were framed in the motion of the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and stars.


What on earth does that even mean???

I've already posted the answer to that, but you glossed over it..


No you haven't...you simply made the old "design needs a designer" nonsense claim


You also blatantly ignore that the bible is DEMONSTRABLY false in hundreds of cases...



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Wrong. You missed it. I included access to the info. You ignored it.

post by NewAgeMan
 


"There is a principal which functions as a bar against all information and proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principal is - contempt, prior to investigation."
~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist


edit on 28-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


Can you please explain to me what you are trying to prove with this little diagram but before you do I would like to inform you that the earth is a geoid and not a sphere so it would not fit into a perfect square.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


I certainly do not need to be informed of the wonders of the universe. It is an astounding and beautiful thing, of which we are a part.

But, this goes back to my previous point of interpretation of data. What you present could be an indicator of intelligent design, however, it could also be an indicator that uniform laws were set in place right after the "beginning" (if there even was a beginning!) by self-limiting functions hitting the "friction" of space-time resulting in specific patterns and interactions. In this scenario, we would get the same result (or data), but the interpretations on "why and how" differ. Both are pretty incredible though.

The only thing we can take from that is those patterns and proportions exist. To me, it is a point of scientific exploration, not of any kind of assurance either way.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Wrong. You missed it. I included access to the info. You ignored it.

post by NewAgeMan
 


"There is a principal which functions as a bar against all information and proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principal is - contempt, prior to investigation."
~ Herbert Spencer, Scientist


edit on 28-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit


No...what you have presented is the "argument from complexity"...an argumentative fallacy


Mathematical ratios aren't proof of a creator

edit on 28-8-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GafferUK1981
 

I don't have time but trust me, it's utterly extraordinary. Research it - Google is your friend, but while you're at it, resaarch all the coincidences in terms of the Earth, Moon, Sun relationship, to begin to get a grasp on the idea that there's a whole lot more going on than meets the eye or that we've been lef to believe by science.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by GafferUK1981
 

I don't have time but trust me, it's utterly extraordinary. Research it - Google is your friend, but while you're at it, resaarch all the coincidences in terms of the Earth, Moon, Sun relationship, to begin to get a grasp on the idea that there's a whole lot more going on than meets the eye or that we've been lef to believe by science.


What coincidences? We can explain the orbits through gravity...we can explain the size too. We even know how the base molecules everything consists of were created



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Again you are assuming, when I was trying to provide an answer to this query of yours.


Originally posted by MrXYZ


Christ who's conception, birth, and Great Work of the cross were framed in the motion of the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and stars.


What on earth does that even mean???



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

So many assumptions, such a closed mind.

You would have to RESEARCH it, as requested, in order to begin to get an appreciation for what I'm referring to.


edit on 28-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Again you are assuming, when I was trying to provide an answer to this query of yours.


Originally posted by MrXYZ


Christ who's conception, birth, and Great Work of the cross were framed in the motion of the Earth, Sun, Moon, planets and stars.


What on earth does that even mean???


No...I'm not assuming...I'm asking for proof other than the argumentative fallacy you provided.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

So many assumptions, such a closed mind.


They aren't assumptions...they are facts


Just like evolution is a FACT...

I have to admit I'm slightly amused that you accuse others of having a "closed mind" yet you completely ignore the FACT that the bible has HUNDREDS of things demonstrably wrong.
edit on 28-8-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.


I dont see it. Today we know that the universe is billions of years old and it took longer than 7 days till the earth sustained live too.


Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

So many assumptions, such a closed mind.


They aren't assumptions...they are facts


Just like evolution is a FACT...

I have to admit I'm slightly amused that you accuse others of having a "closed mind" yet you completely ignore the FACT that the bible has HUNDREDS of things demonstrably wrong.
edit on 28-8-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)


xd

edit on 28-8-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


But as I've just taught you the earth is not a sphere so your numbers are incorrect.

It does seem to be a tactic of those who still can't get with the times and let religion go that they try confuse atheists and if they confuse an atheist then there must be a god. Very very wrong

You could always try the chicken and the egg argument



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Evolution is PART of the puzzle, but it's not the whole thing, and it's insufficient to explain a facet of the creation demonstrating an original intent. You missed what I'd presented and it was lost in your assumptions, the first of which is that you are right and I am and must be, wrong.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In a hurry adding my 2 cents which I'm sure ain't worth much but take it for what it is....lol





I shaw this discussion on facebook about intuition...and found it very interesting. Source

You may want to consider what part intuition may play with people and their beliefs....IMO



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


I just caught this.

The moon is moving away from the Earth because of Earth's tidal bulge.

in fact, since you love THEM so much! It was Darwin's son that actually made the calculations for the Moon's changing orbit, way back in the 19th century.
He generated the theory of tidal evolution.

So no, scientists are not wowed by the moon moving away from the Earth. In fact they can measure it as exactly 3.8 cm a year.



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666
 


I agree it's completely ridiculous to believe everything was created in seven days. Maybe we're reading the bible wrong by proving wrong the statements the bible makes, or maybe it's just an old book jam packed full of nonsense



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by MrXYZ
 

Evolution is PART of the puzzle, but it's not the whole thing, and it's insufficient to explain a facet of the creation demonstrating an original intent. You missed what I'd presented and it was lost in your assumptions, the first of which is that you are right and I am and must be, wrong.


Of course evolution is only part of the puzzle...it makes no statement regarding how life started in the first place. Doesn't change the FACT that the theory is a FACT...and that your entire argument is based on an argumentative fallacy


Also, how about you prove "intent" is even part of the equation? As I mentioned already, your "earth, moon, ..." stuff is complete and utter nonsense and an argumentative fallacy..

Read up on physics and stop trying to copy O'Reilly:

.
edit on 28-8-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ
 


His attempts at trying to get people to research religion, on the offchance they might get roped in, deserves some adminration. lol

I guess not all Christians are terrible salesman.

Seems smart, too bad it is not put to better use.



new topics

top topics



 
21
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join