It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catch all mental health disorder... Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't know how I ever got through school without being drugged.

Still got A's and B's.

There were a lot of hyper kids in my class, including me. But at least we had recess all through high school. One of my issues is even in class my knees would want to move. IDK, thinking about basketball maybe? I wasn't a dumb kid, but I got bored. I did the work. There were worse kids.

I think I have a lot of problems. So far, based on my research I have ADHD and ODD and OCPD and APD. So I'm a guy that has to steer clear of psychiatric clinics. My goal in life is to live without medicating myself. Every so often I learn something more. I even create my own ideas.

Personality tests take several years apart says I'm INTP.

Honestly, this society gets uglier and uglier the older I get. Too authoritarian. It's not so much that we're ruled by one leader, it's that we're ruled. That's what matters. We follow rules.

My theory is it has to do with increasing population and technology and knowledge. All of these things come together like a mixture of chemicals. The standards are going up. Expectations are going up. Everything is expected to flatten out and go steady. Weapons are more powerful. So if there's a loose nut then the whole machine can break. It just requires one person to make hell.

To solve this vulnerability we're controlling things. Everything. More and more.

Obviously, we can't go back in time to a point where we didn't have to walk a thin line. We're in this for the long road. So regrettably it will all get worse. We'll become more like machines. I'm not implying we'll lose our emotions. I'm instead stating that relative to past generations we'll be that way. I don't think we'll ever be robots in absolute terms, although we may have robotic slaves.

I honestly think one of the reasons we die is because we wouldn't want to live. Most old people have disagreements with the world. Many wouldn't want to live longer, you know? I think it depends how closely we identify with the culture we grew up in and how we tolerate change. I was first exposed to this idea in Rama Revealed. People reach a point where they refuse to change.

Don't mistake that for suicidal ideations. It's just an idea that I tickle in my mind. I'll never understand people who control their mind so much that they'd never allow themselves to think this. All I'm doing is wondering if even given the chance to live longer we would decline it for these reasons.

Anyway maybe we refuse to change and instead identify with the culture we grew up in because that was when we were young. Now we're old. We can't keep up. So fall behind. So the possibility is that if you were to make old people young again (possibly against their will) they will re-adjust.

A old worn rusty bolt doesn't turn. A fresh new greased bolt turns. This is the thought.
edit on 26-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

This disorder doesn't exist.

They are just making this up.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.
edit on 27-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

My wife and i discuss childcare arrangements (for other kids) all the time.

We agree that this is part (greater or lesser) of the disintegration of old fashioned family values, and society in general.

It's obvious when you think about it.

Parents put their kids, the most precious things they will ever have in their lives, into the 'care' of spotty teens on minimum wage...not that i have anything against spotty teens, i used to be one so i know the score.

Why do they do this?

To pay the rent or mortgage and cover the bills. They HAVE to, unless they have independent means to support themselves.

Could this be part of an engineered breakdown of family values? Maybe, but we never put our kids into 'pre-school', day care, nursery and not a single vaccination needle has been near them.

And now they are normal, healthy and polite kids...who are doing very well in school.

If any of you are considering placing your beautiful kids into daycare, to be looked after by someone who dosen't give a toss about them just so you can afford a new this or that...think very carefully again.

edit on 26-1-2013 by MysterX because: error

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I am sure that ODD would have been used to disarm the Founding Fathers if possible back then. Something similar was used to round up and ship off millions to the Russian Gulags. I am cured as I respect ''political authority'' since Mao said "all political power comes from the barrel of a gun."

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join