It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catch all mental health disorder... Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
So ODD is the new term for Critical Thinking and being a Skeptic?

*spits out cool aide* Wow -- this tastes like cyanide! Oh, that's my ODD acting up again?
*gets new cup of cool aide* I don't want to act crazy and all...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.
edit on 27-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

I agree fully... Ritalin and other drugs are destroying the minds of children, and they are used in place of actual leadership and discipline.

A lot of parents do seek medication as well. It isn't just the teachers.

I was on Ritalin as a child for ADHD (and later Dexidrine) It perhaps helped a bit. I still have "ADHD" and I can attest that THAT isn't a bs diagnosis, however how ADHD is "treated" and handled is problematic. However, it is troubling to see an increase in ODD diagnosis.

The problem is with our schools and society. When you force children to sit at desks all day, NO recess, no time to create, have imaginative play, force them into a conformist routine you will see acting out. I experience something similar while working at my job. Lots of paper pushing, stress and I have a tendency to "act out" more in that I don't really socialize well with others. That is just me. It is unfortunate that those who are more adaptive to the type of society we currently exist in will make it while those who are more creative, unorganized under stress, need more alone time or whatever won't fit in... We get "depressed more" get put on meds more so we will be happy with our condition.

They keep taking away natural areas.. forests, parks etc which is essential for helping us to grown. We are surrounded by EMF fields and noise and pollution and distractions .. it is horrible..

I am trying to unhook and go out to the country and slow my life down and even to start that process has been difficult.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by ScatterBrain

I feel like parents are to blame for what you are referring to. I mean a child may be diagnosed with ADD but nobody looks at the childs diet. A change in the diet could improve concentration and cut down on hyperactivity. Its the parents job to protect their kids and make sure they are taking the best course of action. Outside of that though, every adult has a choice of treatment. You can seek counseling without seeing a psychiatrist. Most people who are prescribed anti depressants are not expected to stay on them long term. They are usually supposed to provide a boost while counseling handles the dirty work.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I would concur. I think Diet IS important. But it is our schools and how they are structured. Most schools have eliminated things like Recess or outdoor play.

I like the Waldorf educational model . I wish I had that when I was a kid.

I went to a private school and that was still hard.. and I still ended up getting kicked out

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Reply to post by redhorse

Ummmmmm. If you study psychology at the graduate level, you have to pick a concentration, that concentration along with your field work and research, will determine what population you end up working with, what type of counseling you practice, etc. All of what you learn is concrete.

Ummmmmm.

My concentration is already picked. I know exactly where I'm going and what I'll be doing.

Golly-gee-thanks-though.

So the graduate curriculum is more focused. So what? Undergrad is generalized and utter crap, and graduate school is more focused and still utter crap. Because the whole system (scam) is built upon and encourages junk science that caters to the pocketbooks and agendas of entities that have no interest in actually helping anyone. Which (once more) is how we get the diagnosis-of-the-month like ODD. I hate to repeat myself, but you seem to need it.

I understand your apparent need to play guidance counselor here in a transparent attempt to discredit me, and I also understand it's part of your strategy to avoid my point about a psychology degree, and many of the professionals that have them like the plague because well... Then you'd be wrong in this particular little argument; and even worse... If (big if) you are a licensed professional, or hoping to become one, then your whole academic and professional career is possibly a sham, and personally you may have hurt, or will hurt a lot of people. Can't admit that. Can't even look at the possibility. That kind of gets people where they live. I get it. It's so much easier to just avoid that big black hole, and continue blithely along ruining lives, and screwing up neuro-chemistry. Which holds up your whole strategy here as a shining example of what is wrong with the training in the "mental health" field today.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I remember being diagnosed with depression, a lil schizophrenia, and prescribed enough drugs to make an elephant keel over.

I cured myself. *watches eyebrows go up on some*

I needed someone in my life, I needed a direction to use my talents in... AND I DIDNT NEED THE DAMNED DRUGS! I also worked in more physical activity as well. And golly gee! HEALED. (well, at least of that. I had other problems doctors couldnt cure unless they killed me.. some of it I wrote about on ATS) The drugs were to sweep me under the rug, so no one would have to help me fix the damned problems! It took me 22 YEARS to fix them myself.

I tried church- Well, I wont go into the rant about christianity- but it helped the same way a sack of cement being thrown to a drowning person does. I experienced crap no one should at the hands of "jesus". *shudder*. What gets me is I came out of all of this without actually trying drugs, cannot drink myself drunk ( I tried- I cant handle the stomach explosion), and didnt actually kill myself.
edit on 29-8-2012 by wylekat because: I type lousy.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

So the graduate curriculum is more focused. So what? Undergrad is generalized and utter crap, and graduate school is more focused and still utter crap. Because the whole system (scam) is built upon and encourages junk science that caters to the pocketbooks and agendas of entities that have no interest in actually helping anyone.

Preach it brother!

edit on 29-8-2012 by ScatterBrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ummmmmm. If you study psychology at the graduate level, you have to pick a concentration, that concentration along with your field work and research, will determine what population you end up working with, what type of counseling you practice, etc. All of what you learn is concrete. ODD is not an umbrella diagnosis for anything. It just usually occurs with other disorders. Similar to how most people with OCD also have an anxiety disorder.

Thanks for the clarification -- but are you sure ODD isn't being used for a catchall by Bureaucrats looking for a useful label? Seems the former marine who got thrown in a mental hospital was "diagnosed" on the fly because he thought 9/11 was an inside job (that should be on an IQ test IMO).

However -- I don't think in this case, it was a high level fascist conspiracy -- because it's kind of dumb to jail someone who accuses you of fascism, and then not even have a friendly judge lined up, much less some paperwork to give it the air of legitimacy. Likely in that case, it was an overreaction of people who were shocked and concerned about other violent acts -- and they thought this guy fit the profile (because they didn't pay attention to prior signs, I suppose).

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Trivium68

Hi Trivium68,

I would concur. I think Diet IS important. But it is our schools and how they are structured. Most schools have eliminated things like Recess or outdoor play. I like the Waldorf educational model . I wish I had that when I was a kid. I went to a private school and that was still hard.. and I still ended up getting kicked out

Yep yep. Some of Steiner's practices have and are being utilized around the world. Our public education system has different motives I'm afraid. You will find many of Steiner's philosophy on educating the child are being utilized in many areas, say for example, The Children's Museum, in Pittsburgh.

My son (shameless plug) works with the children there and when I stopped in Pittsburgh, he gave me a tour of all the "hands on" educational activities that promote the learning of the sciences and arts. The atmosphere was equivalent of a big playground full of happy kids who were learning, exploring and playing simultaneously...the best way to learn in my opinion...(enjoying the childhood experience as they learn).

There is absolutely no legit reason we can't utilize these same methods in all areas of public education. More money is spent controlling education than educating. Learning should be fun. I know that when I taught, kids were able to absorb their lessons like a sponge and were excited about learning. That ended when control was transferred to the global system who claims they want what is best for the children, they want what is best for them, that is control of our children. I just do not understand why parents tolerate what is bad just because they are told it is good, even though there is evidence to the contrary. Again, this topic of O.D.D. main objective is to control behavior, and experimentation and manipulation of the mind are the main objectives of psychology in my opinion.

Thanks for mentioning the Waldorf education, the philosophy has been around, it would be great if we went towards that direction.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

While this is interesting... does it matter? Do you think the powerful global corpocracy government cares what you think? Are you surprised by these things still?

Also not to be a defeatist but, do you think this will do anything to wake up the dingleberries that cannot see that we're kind of screwed? I say they should suffer the price for being ignorant. People like to pretend things are fine and ignore facts. I know this seems disheartening and maybe even vile, but I do not really have any hope.

My question is how far down do we have to go for people to see stuff sucks. If we look back in current history in WW2 a country rather kill millions of people than fix their own government. Interesting times are ahead.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It is reassuring to read the post from the member who claims to work with children diagnosed with the "disorder," since they say it is something people grow out of...Whether that is true or not, the disorder itself I mean, I do not know. I do know however that something like ADD is real, although many question it. I was not diagnosed with ADD until I turned 23 or so. I was never really that hyperactive or anything, but my mental concentration abilities suffered after a small amount of time. Easily distracted, unable to stick with things for very long, and a host of other similar problems.

I have never taken medication for it, as I grew up with my grandmother and she wasn't having none of that. She did a great job in raising me, and that is the only reason I was still able to make A's in high school. Once I got to college it was a different story though, but that's neither here nor there, lol. So anyway, I just wanted to let people know that in case they were on the fence.

But I agree that this disorder sounds extremely fishy, considering at a young age many children will exhibit different behavioral tendencies, depending mainly on their home life. So these symptoms may be indicative of nothing more than an underlying psychological problem. I feel that many psychiatric problems stem from conflict between the conscious and subconscious mind, many of which develop from early childhood. This is the whole reason that psychosomatic problems arise, and that is strong evidence that what I'm saying is true, imo.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by Trivium68

Yea our schools are messed up. I actually just watched Waiting For Superman last night, that documentary changed my whole perspective on teachers. But I have heard good things about Waldorf schools and schools that practice multiage grouping. I've heard that the public schools system does not use those structures because its not really feasable for them to do with the amount of students they have to teach.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Lol there is no way you have your concentration picked yet. You would have had to already been accepted by the school of your choice. Unlike undergrad, all grad schools do not offer the same concentrations or programs. But anyway, what you learn is not junk science. Pretty much everything that is taught has been proven to work. Its been studied, peer reviewed, and proven to produce results. I am not saying people cannot be harmed while recieving mental health treatment im just saying the treatments are solid. Mental health professionals are just like medical doctors some are good, some are average, and some suck at life. That doesnt mean we should all just discard everything we know about medical science. I am starting to wonder why you want to go into this field, assuming you really are, if you dont believe it heals people.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I dont think the marine who was forced to be hospitalized was diagnosed with ODD. Nobody knows what he was diagnosed with or why he was detained.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I disagree. I have ADD. I'm 32 years old. There are many adults with ADD and like me, use Ritalin.
I was a child and was not medicated. I had constant problems in school. I'm a bright, intelligent person yet just could not achieve.

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 29. Since then I have been accepted into Penn State (after taking and passing a number of remediation courses), scored significantly higher on my ACT's (and ASVAB when I was still active duty), have obtained multiple certifications (A+, Network+ and soon Security+) - and to top it all off I obtained a very good job in an occupation I completely enjoy.

Would I attribute most of it to being treated and medicated? Absolutely, Resoundingly YES. I was going no where in the Navy, having problems even completing day to day jobs. I didn't really notice it during the first half of my career because I really enjoyed what I was working on. When I was sent to do altogether different work, things changed drastically. I could not concentrate, I couldn't understand the simplest of concepts. I went to see help, was eventually (among other diagnosis and treatments which did not work at all) diagnosed with ADD, received counseling and medication and things really turned around, very quickly.

My experience and many, many many others are out there. Don't get me wrong - I'm ALL ABOUT A PROPER DIET and that is a huge factor. Good Psychiatrists will also tell you that and help you eat healthier. Bad ones...well they probably just throw meds at you. I have done the Juice cleanse (popularized by the Documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) as well as switched to whole plant based food diet for upwards of six months. All of these things help, including medication.

Now - about the original post - this is scary stuff. When you think of this within the context of civil liberties combined with acts such as the PATRIOT Act and the latest NDAA you can really start to put together a clear picture that is very frightening. I hope more people wake up soon.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is why I have no respect for authority figures.

They don't care about honor or morality, they only care about control, and forcing people to conform.

And they'll use any dirty trick in the book to force people to conform.

There may be a real kind of disorder with this, but this is the kind of thing that will be highly misused by authority figures.

I hate this society and its you must conform crap.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Its my professional opinion, I know for a fact you cannot medicate away Opposition Defiant Disorder. It can only be fixed through counseling as its not caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. You have to alter their behavior and thinking. Also, someone who has the credentials to evaluate and diagnose something like this would have had to gone through some type of graduate or doctorate program. Graduate schools are not degree mills.

Your professional opinion is very scary.

Psychiatry is a truly subjective practice. There really is no way to measure anything. It's all opinion.

Not everyone is a noble being and even professionals can be manipulated. I believe that the OP has every reason to be wary that this catch all ODD can and is being abused. Don't listen to that person with a disorder. It could be like the Wizard of OZ, -pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I do believe that you are an educated person, but come on now.

A.- must have done 4 of these in the last 6 months.
often loses temper
often argues with adults
often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults’ requests or rules
often deliberately annoys people
often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
is often angry and resentful
is often spiteful or vindictive

Really?
Oh, yes, I do know there are severe extremes. It's called childhood, poor parenting, lack of parenting and they've become so much easier to deal with since they've been medicated and my personal favorite, I just don't want to deal with it.

My background?

Studied for my BSN (Nursing) at a very prestigious and private college, 5 years working the floor in a major children's hospital( consistently top 10 in all areas), 5 children of my own, one of whom presented a great challenge.

No sir, I don't like it.

But, since we are on a conspiracy site, let me ask you this tiny little question. Would health insurance pay for consistent appointments (pay checks) to discuss life issues with one of your field if there wasn't some kind of diagnosis?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.
edit on 27-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

It's true that it doesn't carry over. Typically after 18 it is known as Anti-social disorder.

They like slapping those labels on you fast if ever given the chance. I was called ODD, then they slapped me with a bipolar diagnosis. My doctor mentioned that after I was an adult, that would be anti-social disorder. They (with my parents consent, of course) put me on Paxil, wellbutrin, risperdal three times daily with a Trazodone nightcap so I would sleep. Then the shakes started and I looked like I had Parkinson's, do they put me on a low dose of blood pressure medicine to lower my BP to stop the shaking.

Bottom line, they will use this "diagnosis" to dope you up. In my case, with 425 dollars worth of nerve poison every month. (Worst part is that my parents still occasionally like to mention how much they were per month and cite it as something they did for me that was a sacrifice I should be thankful for...like they were excellent parents.)

This all happened to me at 15. I am now 28 and on no medicines, but have had bad shakes ever since...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
While digging through various articles on the recent unlawful detainment of veterans like in the Brandon Raub case, I came across the term Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). Just the name alone activated the alarm bells in my brain, and so I dug a little deeper. ODD is a fairly new "diagnosis" being used to define people who basically go against the grain. This "disorder" is mainly used to identify children with behavioral problems, but what it stopping them from using this diagnosis against people like you and I?

Psychiatrics claim that sufferers have “a recurrent pattern of negativistic, defiant, disobedient, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that persists for at least 6 months” which includes:

Persistent stubbornness
Resistance to directions
Unwillingness to go along with the crowd
Deliberately annoying others
Testing limits by ignoring orders

So anyone standing up against tyranny... anyone standing up against the global banking cartel... and anyone not absolutely submissive to TPTB could be diagnosed with ODD. For those, like me, who are wondering just how exactly "they" will take firearms away from lawful citizens... here is the answer. Get diagnosed with ODD and I bet you fail a background check the next time you attempt to legally purchase a firearm.

ODD

ODD: The War at Home

We can play the same game too. A recent study done by members of the public shows psychologists suffer a chronic mental disorder known as CDSD ...

Intelligent people claim pyschologists suffer "from a compulsive need to subjugate and label non-psychiatrists for the purpose of fiduciary or political gain, to uphold the often incorrect belief that the field of psychology helps those placed under its care. This particular psychological ailment is referred to as Compulsive Dialectical Schadenfreude Disorder (CDSD).

Normal intelligent people claim sufferers have “a recurrent pattern of imagining their evaluations of a person's mental health is unassailable and that medical cocktails—which have resulted in death—are a sound solution towards improving a persons wellbeing. This behavior often persists well after 2 years of professional training and includes:

Unwillingness to listen to patients (voluntary or otherwise)
Resistance to criticism by non-psychologists
Deliberately annoying others
Submits opinion pieces to journals to create an image or veneer of authority
A sense of misplaced intellectual accomplishment, authority, or superiority

Sounds about right to me!
edit on 14-11-2012 by TheMalefactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

What about "Let's Make Sh-- Up Syndrome" or LMSUS.

Are you suffering from LMSUS? Is it a real disease or disorder? No. But your suffering from it. Trust us we are a multinational retail drug corporation and we make the commercials blink by on your TV screen. We smile a lot and have attractive actors smiling on our commercials. We're good folks. Trust us sheeple.

There is no cure for LMSUS but there are treatment options available.

BigPharma:Buy bags of our synthetic pill at a profit margin of 10000%. It eases the symptoms of LMSUS but isn't a cure.
Purchase our Frequent Idiot Card and you can get 25% off our synthetic habit forming products!

Remember take your vaccines!

edit on 14-11-2012 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I had ODD once, as a kid, for about 30 minutes.

Then I had a short bout of DDBS, defiant disorder beating syndrome, after which I decided that there were appropriate times to challenge "the man" but not when it was Dad. Problem solved.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join