It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catch all mental health disorder... Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
While digging through various articles on the recent unlawful detainment of veterans like in the Brandon Raub case, I came across the term Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). Just the name alone activated the alarm bells in my brain, and so I dug a little deeper. ODD is a fairly new "diagnosis" being used to define people who basically go against the grain. This "disorder" is mainly used to identify children with behavioral problems, but what it stopping them from using this diagnosis against people like you and I?

Psychiatrics claim that sufferers have “a recurrent pattern of negativistic, defiant, disobedient, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that persists for at least 6 months” which includes:

Persistent stubbornness
Resistance to directions
Unwillingness to go along with the crowd
Deliberately annoying others
Testing limits by ignoring orders

So anyone standing up against tyranny... anyone standing up against the global banking cartel... and anyone not absolutely submissive to TPTB could be diagnosed with ODD. For those, like me, who are wondering just how exactly "they" will take firearms away from lawful citizens... here is the answer. Get diagnosed with ODD and I bet you fail a background check the next time you attempt to legally purchase a firearm.

ODD

ODD: The War at Home

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Icing on the cake for TPTB! Will be real easy for them to fill those non existant FEMA camps! /sarcasm towards those who say they don't exist......

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.
edit on 27-8-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It is just another disorder so that people with poor parenting skills can use as an excuse for their ignorance and lack of abilities to parent.

Who could have seen that one coming?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy
Most of my clients are diagnosed with ODD. After working with kids for about ten years with this diagnosis I feel it is a crutch label to medicate our children and makes an excuse for lack of parental supervision. By that I do not entirely blame the parents. I blame society as a whole making it impossible to live without duel paychecks. Afterall subbing your parental duties to a low budget daycare will ultimately create greater social/detachment disorders.

I have yet to see it carry over to anyone over the age of 22. The label of ODD that is
That's all I got.

I agree fully... Ritalin and other drugs are destroying the minds of children, and they are used in place of actual leadership and discipline.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by QUANTUMGR4V17Y
It is just another disorder so that people with poor parenting skills can use as an excuse for their ignorance and lack of abilities to parent.

Who could have seen that one coming?

I agree, but the main point here is the use of this diagnosis on political dissidents and those advocating civil disobedience.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I know, and apologize for slightly deterring the thread.

I'm sure if it keeps gaining a wider acceptance base, it could be "blanket" used against government dissenters, far and wide. My question is, when will they start diagnosing / forcefully medicating people based solely on what they're posting online.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Exactly. I will intake a kid who is full of life. This child is of the nonmedicated variety. Within 6 weeks the child becomes socialy introverted. Does not question things like a child should and when they become frustrated they just give up and do something else. I have seen this become the norm. Parents praise these drugs. Most parents these days want a child that does what they are told and forget there's a reason and a process that makes their child well behaved by the current social standard. Folks nowadays want all things Stepford and are too caught up with their own lives to raise a child properly.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Here we go again, another thread about a condition only professionals would be able to properly diagnose. You do not understand the critera that needs to be met in order to make the diagnosis. Sure you can read a list of behaviors, but what they mean to a lay person and what they mean to a professional are totally different. Also, you cannot medicate away Oppositional Defiant Disorder. So its not a diagnosis used to push medication.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I do believe that we are at a point with these terms used can describe any living human being in one way or another. It makes perfect sense to me that it is just a matter of targeting a certain group and begin to administer "help" to persons of interest in order to push forward a path of global domination. It could be you or me.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

F&S
ODD and ADD are made up conditions by a facist collusion between the state and corporate scientism
questioning the state was grounds for "treatment" in the former USSR and other nasty political systems

the DSM also known as The Big Book of Mental Illness is a tool of political and social control. it's definitions always change to suit the political tides.

evidence?

Is Schizophrenia Really a Black Disease? bigthink.com...

Who decides what "insane" means? This was the major question of Ken Kesey's countercultural classic "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," which illustrated how mental illness could be deployed by the establishment to crush the individual. But a recent book by University of Michigan psychiatry professor Jonathan Metzl suggests that Kesey's novel might not have been far from non-fiction. In "The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease," Metzl documents the shifting interpretations of schizophrenia through the 20th century, tracing its evolution from a "white middle-class woman's disease" to an "African-American man's disease." Specifically, with the political upheaval of the civil rights movement, popular culture began to associate angry black men with schizophrenia, which in turn influenced the way doctors interpreted and diagnosed the illness.
"In particularly the early 1920s, 1930s, 1940s when the idea of schizophrenia itself was first coming to the United States from Europe there was a general assumption that persons who suffered from schizophrenia were either shy or calm or they were geniuses," Metzl says. "It was often represented as an illness that afflicted white novelists or poets and as I say, these were very often in popular and psychiatric representation assumed to be white people." But during the massive societal upheavals in the middle of century, ideas of sanity and insanity took on new meaning. "All of a sudden in the 1960s, American culture, newspapers, magazines, movies start to represent angry African-American men as in part being inflicted with a new form of this particular illness," and this change in popular perception of the disease directly influenced the clinical definition of it, Metzl argues. "All of a sudden in 1968, the second version of the Diagnostic Manual comes out and there is new language that says 'aggression, hostility, projection.'" The image of a schizophrenic person was all of a sudden more violent and unstable than the schizophrenic of 20 years before.

The practical consequences of this popular-cum-clinical shift in perception was that in the 1960s far more African-American men were institutionalized in psychiatric wards with schizophrenia. "Some had committed crimes, some had participated in civil rights protests, some had been participants in urban riots at the time. They all passed through various forms of the penal system and ended up diagnosed with schizophrenia and locked in the psychiatric wards," says Metzl. But were these men really schizophrenic? Or were they victims of shifting clinical definitions of disease, one that was prone to metaphoric interpretation?

How Schizophrenia Became a "Black Disease" bigthink.com...

The Neuroscientific View of Life
which along with Genetic Pre-determinism may very well be the pseudo-philosophical basis for the major acts of mass murder and genocide to be perpetrated during the 21st century:
Sorry, But Your Soul Just Died Tom Wolfe
From neuroscience to Nietzsche. A sobering look at how man may perceive himself in the future, particularly as ideas about genetic predeterminism takes the place of dying Darwinism. .
www.orthodoxytoday.org...

The neuroscientific view of life

This, the neuroscientific view of life, has become the strategic high ground in the academic world, and the battle for it has already spread well beyond the scientific disciplines and, for that matter, out into the general public. Both liberals and conservatives without a scientific bone in their bodies are busy trying to seize the terrain. The gay rights movement, for example, has fastened onto a study published in July of 1993 by the highly respected Dean Hamer of the National Institutes of Health, announcing the discovery of "the gay gene." Obviously, if homosexuality is a genetically determined trait, like left–handedness or hazel eyes, then laws and sanctions against it are attempts to legislate against Nature. Conservatives, meantime, have fastened upon studies indicating that men's and women's brains are wired so differently, thanks to the long haul of evolution, that feminist attempts to open up traditionally male roles to women are the same thing: a doomed violation of Nature.
Anyone with a child in school knows the signs all too well. I have children in school, and I am intrigued by the faith parents now invest—the craze began about 1990—in psychologists who diagnose their children as suffering from a defect known as attention deficit disorder, or ADD. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether this "disorder" is an actual, physical, neurological condition or not, but neither does anybody else in this early stage of neuroscience. The symptoms of this supposed malady are always the same. The child, or, rather, the boy—forty–nine out of fifty cases are boys—fidgets around in school, slides off his chair, doesn't pay attention, distracts his classmates during class, and performs poorly. In an earlier era he would have been pressured to pay attention, work harder, show some self–discipline. To parents caught up in the new intellectual climate of the 1990s, that approach seems cruel, because my little boy's problem is...he's wired wrong! The poor little tyke —the fix has been in since birth! Invariably the parents complain, "All he wants to do is sit in front of the television set and watch cartoons and play Sega Genesis." For how long? "How long? For hours at a time." Hours at a time; as even any young neuroscientist will tell you, that boy may have a problem, but it is not an attention deficit.

Nevertheless, all across America we have the spectacle of an entire generation of little boys, by the tens of thousands, being dosed up on ADD's magic bullet of choice, Ritalin, the CIBA–Geneva Corporation's brand name for the stimulant methylphenidate. I first encountered Ritalin in 1966 when I was in San Francisco doing research for a book on the psychedelic or hippie movement. A certain species of the genus hippie was known as the Speed Freak, and a certain strain of Speed Freak was known as the Ritalin Head. The Ritalin Heads loved Ritalin. You'd see them in the throes of absolute Ritalin raptures...Not a wiggle, not a peep...They would sit engrossed in anything at all...a manhole cover, their own palm wrinkles...indefinitely...through shoulda–been mealtime after mealtime...through raging insomnias...Pure methyl–phenidate nirvana...From 1990 to 1995, CIBA–Geneva's sales of Ritalin rose 600 percent; and not because of the appetites of subsets of the species Speed Freak in San Francisco, either. It was because an entire generation of American boys, from the best private schools of the Northeast to the worst sludge–trap public schools of Los Angeles and San Diego, was now strung out on methylphenidate, diligently doled out to them every day by their connection, the school nurse. America is a wonderful country! I mean it! No honest writer would challenge that statement! The human comedy never runs out of material! It never lets you down!

edit on 27-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

I am a professional, all the pretty pieces of paper on my wall that cost a lot of money tell me so. I am more qualified then you to talk on this subject. I have non medicinally cured 100s of children with "ODD".

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Wow interesting post.It made me stop and think.If i am a mindless sheep i am ok but if i use my brain and question authority and think outside the box and follow my own path i have ODD.This actually makes me scared to think what this counntry is coming to.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Here we go again, another thread about a condition only professionals would be able to properly diagnose. You do not understand the critera that needs to be met in order to make the diagnosis. Sure you can read a list of behaviors, but what they mean to a lay person and what they mean to a professional are totally different. Also, you cannot medicate away Oppositional Defiant Disorder. So its not a diagnosis used to push medication.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Oppositional Defiant Disorder....think about that...Think about what that implies and how it will be perceived in the context of a mental health facility? It means, any time you disagree...you are dismissed because of your "disease" you no longer have a legitimate argument...you just have a "disorder" that we will use to dismiss ALL of your concerns, issues away.

How do you win an argument 100% of the time?? Diagnose the person you are arguing with ODD....that way you can dismiss everything they say..."Oh yea hes just sick, yea he has ODD we don't have to really listen to what hes saying hes just crazy"

The fact there is even a real diagnosis called ODD baffles my mind and makes me lose even the little respect I had for the mental health field. This is a very very dangerous diagnosis to be toying around with in reality...I don't care if you have to get diagnosed with it by a so called "professional" anyway....all that means to me is don't ever argue with a psych Dr....

edit on 27-8-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

how long before "debunkers" and the like
start throwing it around as an argument quasher
or to dismiss a post?

like schizophrenia allready is?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

As someone who works in mental health I have little regard for what is coming out of the field these days. It's getting more and more absurd day by day. The disorders and diseases are more and more vague and general applying to more and more people.

This is not theoretical and this is not technical...you CAN diagnose every single person on the planet today and every generation in the future for all of eternity with some disorder or disease...

THIS is the mental health philosophy and is frighteningly devoid of sense more often than not.

What we used to accept in the past as "personality traits" and "beliefs" or "ideals", "morals" ....etc....are all now some form of disorder or disease...all of our individualistic qualities are being pushed into a diagnosis of implied mental inability or instability. Go with the flow, do as your told, conform and follow are the traits that are seeming to avoid having a diagnosis or disease to them. I wonder why? Because surely if ODD exists I'm sure there is a counterpart DAYTD (do as your told disorder)....but I'm not seeing any of this in the field that I work. They are focused and addressing issues that are landing them in the hospitals...disagreeing with the courts and police are #1 on that list...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Sly1one

how long before "debunkers" and the like
start throwing it around as an argument quasher
or to dismiss a post?

like schizophrenia allready is?

exactly...its all dismissive, you will no longer be taken seriously as a human being if you have ANY type of implied mental instability or inability...I see it every day at work...patients with legitimate concerns dismissed because their concern just happens to be something related to their mental health diagnosis.

The schizophrenia patients have it the worst....

They try to share stories from their past or relate in conversation with anyone and their immediately perceived as hallucinating or being "sick" as we call it. I'm telling you all right now the mental health field scares the hell out of me....its as big of an industry as "prisons" and incarceration they are like sister philosophies and since mental health is considered a medial issue...

Not to derail but mental health patient numbers will sky rocket after Obamacare is all said and done.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Guess that gives the defendants discussed in the thread a defense.

Ga. Murder Case Uncovers Terror Plot by Soldiers

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

What a bunch of fools playing with semantics ...

Spite (sentiment) [wiki]

To spite is to intentionally annoy, hurt, or upset. Spiteful words or actions are delivered in such a way that it is clear that the person is delivering them just to annoy, hurt, or upset. When the intent to annoy, hurt, or upset is shown subtly, behavior is considered catty.

:shk:

Personal Disclosure: For example ... INDIGO's ...I spite them only because I can ... not because I have to or need to.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy

That's all I got.

Then you haven't met my son. He is 44.

I long ago learned to explain his life style as, "if he can do something opposite to what he is told or must do, he will." He seemingly is permanently wired to be the age of 13. It is a condition frequently connected to Fetal Alchohol Syndrome. Didn't you know that in your line of work?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join