It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP’s ‘We Built It’ Speaker Didn’t Build It

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
GOP’s ‘We Built It’ Speaker Didn’t Build It

Cheryl Valenzuala is a scheduled speaker at the Republican National Convention. She’s also the proud owner of a business that started in her garage. She, and her husband Eli, started their upholstery company in order to pay for their child’s autism treatments, and it has grown into a company that makes baseball umpires’ vests and vests for the Israeli military. The company currently employs at least forty workers and brings in about 4.5 million dollars yearly in revenue.

Their story is, no doubt, an incredible and heartfelt story of human achievement. Doubtless, based on the Republican stance, they built their business completely on their own. We’ll leave out the normal tax benefits such as roads, for now. Yet, starting out in a garage, no doubt they were able to achieve greatness on their own.

Getting tired of seeing the GOP continue to claim how business owner's owe no credit whatsoever to the government for the success of their business, only to learn that these businesses wouldn't exist if not for extensive government programs designed to aid and assist business - especially fledgling businesses.

According to the SBO, Cheryl Valenzuala business (First State Manufacturing) received a sizable amount of government assistance, as touted by her PR flacks, in the SBA-published National Small Business Week (page 24, PDF file):

For First State Manufacturing, Inc., the dream began in 1998 with a man, a woman, and a sewing machine in yes, you guessed it, a garage in Milford, Del. Today, that dream has become First State Manufacturing (FSM), a thriving business employing more than 40 technicians working in a new 66,000 square-foot facility funded by a $1.8 million U.S. Small Business Administration 504 loan .

Eli Valenzuela learned the upholstery trade from a correspondence course he took in the Army; he applied what he learned while working at Dover Air Force Base upholstering enormous C-5 Galaxy airlifters. With help from SCORE and the Delaware Small Business Development Center , Eli and his wife Cheryl composed a business plan, and opened FSM in their garage. With an initial $20,000 SBA-guaranteed loan they secured larger contracts and also became certified in SBA’s 8(a) Business Development Program .

In 2001 FSM was ready to grow again, with a $96,500 SBA-guaranteed loan to modernize and expand inventory. After the 9/11 tragedy and its economic fallout, FSM obtained a $65,800 SBA disaster loan to maintain their business and employees until revenues returned . FSM revenue doubled from 2007 to 2010, increasing from $2.2 million annual revenue to $4.5 million.

The only reason Cheryl Valenzuala HAS a business, is due to the government assistance she received form the Smalll Business Administration (SBA.gov) I'm not suggesting she couldn't have done it completely on her own - only that she hadn't, and clearly she "didn't built that, she had help". Now apparently, she wants to deprive others of this same sort of help?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The whole GOP Convention's theme is based around the twisting of Obama's words. If they used the actual quote instead of taking a bunch of words out, they wouldn't be able to use it. I'm not surprised to learn that this speaker (and a lot of others in the GOP) "didn't build it" themselves, but had government help in MANY ways.

I like to look behind the "slogans" and "themes" for the truth.

I suggest they use "Just Trust Me!"

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
of course every body has had help in building success, and even help when they are going under.

the only way to "make" it without any sort of human help is to move to a deserted island alone and start a business.

then you u can say you did it by yourself; the only problem would be that you'd have a yearly revenue of zero dollars.

and that tool mitt wants to claim no one helped him. i'm sure he received a ton of cronyism thru out his career.

so another hypocrite has two shoes in his mouth that everybody likes to ignore.

edit on 27-8-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Only fools advocate for more government involvement in our lives!

And bigger fools give government credit where no credit is due!

Talk about word twisting... name 1 company the government started and grew to success. I'll be waiting, but not holding my breath!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Do you have enough Ashfalt, and a few shovels? Have you already started building your own road to the Polling station?

If not, you will not vote by yourself. Somebody helped you do that.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

name 1 company the government started and grew to success. I'll be waiting, but not holding my breath!

al Qaeda

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

MPRI and the like (via / as proxys for CIA & DoD) are pretty "successful" so to speak.

Originally posted by Pedro4077
al Qaeda

Exactly.
Same # with a different name on it.
edit on 27-8-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The ONLY thing the government has done "for me" is to take 40% of my funds while trying to build my business. If that's help, I don't need/want it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

It's not the governments place to start companies. But it's not real hard to find companies that the government helped become a success.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
The ONLY thing the government has done "for me" is to take 40% of my funds while trying to build my business. If that's help, I don't need/want it.

Romney only paid 13%. You need a more crooked tax attorney.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Why are they calling Sher Valenzuela the "We Built It" Speaker?? When she is simply scheduled to speak on Tuesday. The entire day is a "we built it" theme. Yes she did build it you goons.... Nice twist from this loony source.

BTW the source article misspelled her last name. That's bad from the start for addicting info... junkies...

Simple Facts...NO Secrets... only Pure Success.....Success that the left hates so much.

She was named “Delaware’s Small-business Person of 2012” by the U.S. Small Business Adminstration. They have two special-needs children, Simon and Pedro.

Valenzuela, 58, a political newcomer, was nominated to run for the 2nd-highest statewide office at the Delaware Republican Committee’s convention in Rehoboth Beach on April 28th.

Known for her rich, resonant voice and lithe, telegenic looks, she’s in her first-ever run for elected office. Her book, “The World’s Best Customer,” a first-person account of the founding of her firm and her philosophy on small-business growth, will be published, in print, Kindle and online, around Labor Day. Her 10-minute RNC speech will deal with the importance of small business, and the problems over-regulation poses to America’s economy.

“Eli and I are entrepreneurs, so we’re aware of the challenges and difficulties that come with the territory,” she said. “To be successful, you have to be able to get back up when you get knocked down, which you inevitably will. But it’s almost impossible to get back up again with a regulator's boot on your throat,” said Valenzuela.

www.examiner.com...

She is scheduled to speak about Small Business Ownership. Wow! and she was also Delaware's Small Business Person of 2012. (USSBA) No secret!!!

Go to her website!! She and her husband have been recognized as successful entrepreneurs
www.sher2012.com...

Yes, they did build their business with 504 loans. Not grants or Govt. Bailouts. Plenty of qualified businesses take out 504 loans. Its a complicated process. They built a successful business on their own with those loans.

There are three partners in an SBA 504 loan—the borrower, a bank or other regulated lender, and a CDC. Typically the borrower must contribute 10% of the total project cost; their bank lends 50% at their own rate and term (as long as the term is at least 10 years), and has a first lien on the assets being financed; and the CDC lends 40%, with a second lien. If the financing is for real estate, as most 504 loans are, the CDC's loan is for twenty years at a fixed rate of interest. The fully amortized rate for loans funding in August 2010 was 4.931%. The funds for these loans are raised through a monthly auction of bonds that are 100% guaranteed by the U.S. Government. If the financing is for long-lasting fixed equipment such as printing presses, commercial laundry equipment, manufacturing equipment, etc., the 504 loan term is 10 years.

If the borrower's company has less than two consecutive years of operating history or if the building or assets to be financed are considered "special purpose" (e.g., gas stations or some medical clinics), the borrower must increase their contribution by 5% for a total of 15%, and the CDC lends 5% less for a total of 35%-- in cases where the borrowers meet both of these conditions, they must increase to 20%, and the CDC lends 30%.

Total project costs can include the costs for land and existing building or equipment; hard construction/renovation; fixtures and equipment; certain furniture; professional fees including appraisals and environmental investigations; soft costs; and closing costs. Project costs can usually be financed in their entirety with a 504 loan, whereas most commercial bank loans only finance a percentage of the purchase price/appraised value and borrowers would have to come up with closing and soft costs out of pocket. If borrowers later decide to sell their property, 504 loans are assumable.

en.wikipedia.org...

"We Built It" is the scheduled theme for the entire day (Tues.) of the convention!! Don't knock Venezuela for her success!!!! As usual...

Anything to distract people from Obama's mess... Seems to be the trend around here these days. Who's getting the TPM today???

Is this what you guys are all crying about??

"We Built It" to be the Day's Theme of Convention
At a campaign rally in Roanoke, Virginia, last month, President Obama declared, "if you've got a business, you didn't build that." Priebus said that Tuesday's convention proceedings "will remind America that we are a nation made great not by Washington but by the men and women who summoned the inner drive, discipline and persistent effort to achieve their dreams within the free enterprise system."

Convention CEO William Harris said, "Tuesday's program will highlight America's entrepreneurial strength and our people's incomparable work ethic."

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
SBA loans are partnership loans, no taxpayer money involved. No Obama dollars either...

Even though SBA does not loan money directly to small business owners, we play an important role for people who want to finance or grow their business. When you apply for a SBA-backed loan at your local bank or credit union, you are asking SBA to provide a guarantee that you will repay your loan as promised.

www.sba.gov...

It's not to difficult to understand...

SBA does NOT provide grants for starting and expanding a business.

Government grants are funded by your tax dollars and, therefore, require very stringent compliance and reporting measures to ensure the money is well spent. As you can imagine, grants are not given away indiscriminately.

Grants from the Federal government are authorized and appropriated through bills passed by Congress and signed by the President. The grant authority varies widely among agencies. SBA has authority to make grants to non-profit and educational organizations in many of its counseling and training programs, but does not have authority to make grants to small businesses.

www.sba.gov...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I'm paying about 15%, because the government already took 35% when the business took in funds. That's 45% on every dollar...similar to Romney. How much should a business owner be allowed to keep? Apparently 55% is way too much. How much to YOU keep? Tell me, exactly, how much money should everyone be taxed? 10%, 50%, 100%? How much is enough for the Communist machine?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Romney only paid 13%. You need a more crooked tax attorney.

You do realize that investment income is taxed at a lower rate than standard earned income. Just ask Warren Buffet. Who only pays himself a salary of $100,000 a year and yet had a an AGI of $62,855,038 in 2010. HIs taxable income was $39,814,784, and had a federal income tax bill of $6,923,494. That made his effective tax rate, as a percentage of AGI, just 11.06%,

Its all within the law of the current tax code. You want it changed?? run for office or support a candidate who will push for a change. Soaking the rich won't change a damn thing. They will just find other ways to protect their wealth while the govt. seeks more ways to take and spend their wealth.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Any government involvement during the start up of these businesses, if any, was only temporary because obviously they don't keep suckling on the government teet.

Besides, since everyone has access to the same roads and bridges, why isn't everyone else successful?
edit on 27-8-2012 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

This is EXACTLY the type of "help" Obama was referring to when he made the comment that business owner's had help in building their business. The SBA is a taxpayer-funded agency that provides government-backed loans to small businesses.

Since you obviously don't like to click links, here is what was published about her business and the level of help she received from the SBA;

She received nearly TWO MILLION dollars in government-backed SBA loans. No one is denying she and her business are a success. And in spite of your usual partisan rhetoric, the "left" doesn't hate business. In fact, you can thank the "left" for the existence of such agencies as the SBA, which has helped plenty of business owner's acquire the loans they needed to get their business off the ground.

Oh, and since you claim that she isn't the "We built it" speaker, her other "We built it" speakers aren't faring much better than her, as far as their record of relying on government programs go:

This is not the first time that an entrepreneur tapped by the Romney campaign to espouse its “We Built It” message turned out to have relied on the government for help with their business.

Dennis Sollmann, the owner of Sollmann Electric Company, who appeared in a Romney web ad criticizing the president for his “you didn’t build that” line, did millions of dollars worth of work for the government. In addition, Jack Gilchrist, the owner of Gilchrist Metal Fabricating, who starred in another Romney ad, received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds, as well as sub-contracts in 2008 from the U.S. Navy.

Valenzuela's company received roughly $17 million in federal loans and contracts and she's openly encouraged other business owners to rely on taxpayer funding, Media Matters reported Thursday.

Valenzuela's advice -- to rely on government funds when growing a business -- stands in stark contrast to Republicans' "We Built It" slogan, which seeks to capitalize on a controversial remark made by President Barack Obama on July 13.

Source: Sher Valenzuela, GOP's 'We Built It' Speaker, Received Millions In Government Loans

The only reason she is jumping on the Romney bandwagon "We built it" meme is the fact she is now running on the RNC ticket as a candidate.

PS: Your quibble over her name (Cheryl vs Shar) it's listed as Cheryl in her blurb in the SBA booklet.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe this Gentleman should be a guest speaker?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

pretty sure the government and taxpayers provided the funding to build those roads and lights

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

This is EXACTLY the type of "help" Obama was referring to when he made the comment that business owner's had help in building their business. The SBA is a taxpayer-funded agency that provides government-backed loans to small businesses.

Interesting assumption there..... ""EXACTLY the type of "help"""

Obama choked and gagged on his own words. He never mentioned anything about loans that I heard.

Quote????

Of all businesses, how many actually got govt backed loans ?

What percentage have gone bust?

Most businesses don't borrow from SBA.

Your facts are cloudy at best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join