It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity "ChemCam": 5 little holes and one strange object nearby...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Bumps on the surface and you are seeing shadows NOT holes

edit on 28-8-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by Arken

So in your opinion those are bumps?
4+4 parallel Bumps...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

reply to post by Arken

4+4 parallel Bumps...

Ok lets split hairs THEY are NOT parallel

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
No idea of what I am looking at. A pebble? A planet?
What is the scale?
Is this 1mm long or 1000km long?

How can anyone have any kind of opinion without some basic information first?

Help us out dude!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
These holes have clearly been drilled recently, you can see the lighter (dry) looking dust surrounding the holes compared to the rock surface which is effected by the elements on Mars. Sorry folks but I think this is the work of Curiosity.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

reply to post by Arken

4+4 parallel Bumps...

As you can see here not parallel and NOT identical!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

On this page there is a video 3/4 of the way down showing the field of view of the chemcam.

A couple of inches, perhaps 3....

So the holes you are looking at are tiny weeny little holes. I mean really really tiny little holes smaller than even the brains of some of the posters on ATS!

So get a grip and rethink your dumb ass ideas! lol

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
What is the scale?

Help us out dude!

Image is from Curiosity's Chem Cam. Here is some info on the camera:

The RMI resolves 1 mm objects at 10 m distance, and has a field of view covering 20 cm at that distance

Source

So if the picture is from 10 meters away, the width of the shot could be up to 20 cm.

The Chemical Camera was designed to take pictures of a very small area of very small objects. Here's another shot from it. All I have done with the image is increased it's brightness and contrast, but include a link for the raw image below it:

CCAM4019M SOL19

The rock center screen is very small, and you can see a fracture running through it.

So keep in mind the picture the OP is showing is a very small field of view (20cm or less).

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is a nice short read and will explain exactly what are THE HOLES AROUND MARS

hehe

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
They've already test fired the laser a few days ago, burning small holes into rock. I don't see why not laser holes, unilt someone proves otherwise!

The rock I saw had just one burn, but it still looks like the same rock.
edit on 28-8-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
laser

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

cool though

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by optimus primal

its definitely not pixelation. The holes texture blends in consistently with surrounds. No way not pixelation go sell that convenient debunking rhetoric on someother blog.

first off, this isn't a blog and i'm not debunking anything there isn't anything to debunk. secondly if you can't see the pixelation throughout that picture at the level of zoom arken has it at, well...you're just blind. third, the scale at which chemcam takes pictures is tiny, and it isn't a very high resolution it's just so they know what they're lasering. so even if they were perfectly parallel identical holes, they'd be millimeters in diameter.

i don't think this is anything artificial, i think it's a trick of the shadows and the poor quality of the image.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by Shamatt
What is the scale?

Help us out dude!

Image is from Curiosity's Chem Cam. Here is some info on the camera:

The RMI resolves 1 mm objects at 10 m distance, and has a field of view covering 20 cm at that distance

Source

So if the picture is from 10 meters away, the width of the shot could be up to 20 cm.

The Chemical Camera was designed to take pictures of a very small area of very small objects. Here's another shot from it. All I have done with the image is increased it's brightness and contrast, but include a link for the raw image below it:

CCAM4019M SOL19

The rock center screen is very small, and you can see a fracture running through it.

So keep in mind the picture the OP is showing is a very small field of view (20cm or less).

The first target area of the laser on N165/Coronation rock was described as 8mm while the rock was described as fist sized, around 10cm, so a rough guess for the whole SOL20 picture would be in the vicinity of your estimate of 20cm, or less taking it as the laser marks being 8mm, and being five of them in the central part of the picture. I see no reason for NASA not to hit the N165 rock more than once, or that the appearance of the holes to be totally uniform, after a hit. (they shudda done a smiley if only as an encore) and I agree these are tiny areas involved.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by optimus primal

its definitely not pixelation. The holes texture blends in consistently with surrounds. No way not pixelation go sell that convenient debunking rhetoric on someother blog.

first off, this isn't a blog and i'm not debunking anything there isn't anything to debunk. secondly if you can't see the pixelation throughout that picture at the level of zoom arken has it at, well...you're just blind. third, the scale at which chemcam takes pictures is tiny, and it isn't a very high resolution it's just so they know what they're lasering. so even if they were perfectly parallel identical holes, they'd be millimeters in diameter.

i don't think this is anything artificial, i think it's a trick of the shadows and the poor quality of the image.

Arken's image shows much the same as the original, there is also relative pixilation and bleeding in that too. They are holes, they don't need to be perfect, and easily match up to a stated 8mm laser burn if that is the case. On the other hand, if you are looking at something akin to a porous rock, you might expect to see holes all over the place in the same area, but you don't see that. Perhaps NASA should have placed a drop of water in curiosity to squirt into one of those holes to see what happens.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
How about this one?
Source
Mini pyramids. See we are looking for life as big as us but the humanoids that once existed on Mars were at tallest 1mm tall.

edit on 28-8-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Just Chemcam's laser doing its work.

Researchers used ChemCam to study this soil target, named "Beechey," during the 19th Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's mission (Aug. 25, 2012). The observation mode, called a five-by-one raster, is a way to investigate chemical variability at short scale on rock or soil targets. For the Beechey study, each point received 50 shots of the instrument's laser. The points on the target were studied in sequence left to right. Each shot delivers more than a million watts of power for about five one-billionths of a second. The energy from the laser excites atoms in the target into a glowing state, and the instrument records the spectra of the resulting glow to identify what chemical elements are present in the target. The holes seen here have widths of about 0.08 inch to 0.16 inch (2 to 4 millimeters), much larger than the size of the laser spot (0.017 inch or 0.43 millimeter at this distance). This demonstrates the power of the laser to evacuate dust and small unconsolidated grains. A preliminary analysis of the spectra recorded during this raster study show that the first laser shots look alike for each of the five points, but then variability is seen from shot to shot in a given point and from point to point.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Looks like we have our explaination!
Good work!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
Just Chemcam's laser doing its work.

Err...the before shot just makes matters worse. In it there appears to be 2 "previous" sets of laser holes just to the right hand top of the "t" shaped marking. They are at 90 degrees to each other, the "vertical" having 4 holes and the "horizontal" having 5. Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
They should use that laser to write "NASA WAS HERE" on one of the large rocks or something like This Planet Claimed in the name of USA

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What if the laser is destroying life on Mars? OMG no!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join