It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Grilled Cheese With Spinach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I recently got a new cooking magazine called "Good&Fresh" and it's by Better Homes and Gardens. Apparently it's a new magazine that is sold only at grocery store check outs. If that's the case they got me! I always look at the cooking magazines while checking out. I find some really good ones and this new one is one of those good ones.

Well in this magazine I found a grilled cheese recipe that i liked but didn't have all the ingredients so I used what I had and it came out delicious. I'm tempted to make another one but with different ingredients and maybe a soup to go with it. We are getting tons of thunderstorms today due to Isaac which for me is the perfect soup and sandwich day.

Mblah's Grilled Cheese With Spinach

Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup of spinach (I used the frozen kind) thaw and drain all excess water.
1 cup (you can use less or more depending on how cheesy you want yours) any white shredded cheese. I used an Italian White Cheese blend from Publix. I'm sure any grocer would have it. It's made by Sargento I believe. If I had fresh Mozzarella and Swiss I would have used those!

1/4 cup or less of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. This is a fresh brick not the kind you sprinkle over pasta.
1/2 TBS Mayonnaise
1/2 TBS Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp minced garlic
Sliced Zucchini
Sliced Tomato
Pumpernickel Bread slices
Salt and Pepper

Directions

Mix about half the spinach mixture with the mayo, mustard, parmesan cheese, S/P and garlic in a food processor or use a mortar and pestle if you don't have one. Mix items til they are like a paste in texture. Set aside.

Brush one side of each piece of bread with the EVOO and then place oil side down on wax paper. Next take spinach mixture and spread on top of one of the pieces of bread on the wax paper. Spread on side that is up. Now take the other cheese (the white cheese blend) and put on top of the other slice of bread. Then stack the zucchini and tomato on top of cheese then top with the remaining spinach. Put two pieces together and cook with the cheese side down first.

Next cook in frying pan or preferred pan on medium heat. Cook about 8-10 mins and flip once half way through. Cook til cheese is melted and bread is toasted on both sides.

I served it with Snyders sour dough and 3 cheese pretzels bites.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Dang it Mblah!
You keep posting all these awesome recipes that make me want to try new things.
How dare you entice me out of my comfort zone!

Now I have to try this one too!
(Except NO ZUCCHINI!)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Mblah you are gonna make me get fat again.
Jeez and i just lost all this weight.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Dang it Mblah!
You keep posting all these awesome recipes that make me want to try new things.
How dare you entice me out of my comfort zone!

Now I have to try this one too!
(Except NO ZUCCHINI!)

Haha...See it's good for your taste buds and tummy when you go out of your food comfort zone! I use to stick to one type of foods, Italian lol but I have learned to venture out over the years. Some of my favorite food is Indian and Mediterranean. You can surprise yourself with what you might like if you just try new things. There is a French restaurant where I live and I love their menu. It is so different and very French. There are things i wouldn't think of usually trying but at this place I always try something new. I have loved everything so far, my favorite being this carrot dill soup I had with a filet. Omg it was delicious! If i master that soup I'd share it on here for sure.

As for the zucchini you can use cucumber or yellow squash if you like.

I love to cook and now that i have the space and accessories to do so I cook everything. I have many more threads I need to make but need to edit pics. I need a nicer camera so my pictures come out better....soon! I cook mostly for myself because my bf lives and works overseas. He will be home soon so it will be nice to have someone to cook for. I usually share with friends and family or people at work. I love to share my cooking!

Thanks for the comments and trying my recipes! I'm glad you enjoy them, makes me happy.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Mmmmm.. IRM LIKES!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Another yummy recipe. I am going to try this one too, I have a friend who is crazy about grilled cheese sandwiches. Your recipe gives a grilled cheese a delicious twist. Your cheese sandwich is just more interesting!

I really so enjoy all your recipes. I like your presentations too. Those pictures are making me hungry!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Another yummy recipe. I am going to try this one too, I have a friend who is crazy about grilled cheese sandwiches. Your recipe gives a grilled cheese a delicious twist. Your cheese sandwich is just more interesting!

Thanks
I've been a big grilled cheese fan for most of my life. When I got older though I switched it up and started experimenting more with the ingredients. I love it because I usually never make mine the same way twice lol. It depends on the kinds of cheese I have stocked and what breads I have fresh.

There are two things I love to stock up on, various types of breads and cheeses.
I would also say pasta is on that list.

I really so enjoy all your recipes. I like your presentations too. Those pictures are making me hungry!

Awe why thank you. I'm glad you like it. I'm big about presentation and would prefer to have them look better, but will need a new camera for that. I take so many pics and many times they don't come out due to lighting. I have also been looking for the perfect "plating" plate for presentation only. I have also been reading various tips for photographing food. It's quite an interesting technique and I've learned a few things.

I tend to make people hungry I've been told

edit on 8/27/2012 by mblahnikluver because: grammar..

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This looks so good, can't wait to try it! Thank you for posting this - I don't eat meat but I do eat dairy/eggs and I love cheese, always looking for recipes with cheese lol.
Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
ewww...

I love the crispy blacky bread part..

I like burnt toast and cheesy goodness together...

veggies rule too..

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
ewww...

I love the crispy blacky bread part..

I like burnt toast and cheesy goodness together...

veggies rule too..

HAHA yea it looks like burnt toast doesn't it? It's pumpernickel

I would love to attempt homemade pumpernickel, just might go nuts this holiday season and make pumpernickel rye bread for gifts in my food baskets. Now that i have a kitchen I'm so doing my food gift baskets for Christmas!

top topics

join