It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age Flower Blooms After 32000 Years!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+63 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Ice Age Flower Blooms after 32000 Years – photo by anemoneprojectors (Peter O)

Nature is a wondrous beauty as the ice age flower blooms after 32000 years of being non-existent.

According to Discover Magazine, Russian scientists announced that they had unearthed the fruit and brought tissue from it back to life after the seeds were buried over 32000 years ago. The discovery was made in northwestern Siberia, where the winter team of Russian scientists found the seeds of the flower and regrew it.

Researchers studying and working with ancient soil composition in an exposed Siberian riverbank found 70 fossilized Ice Age squirrel burrows, some of which stored up to 800,000 seeds and fruits. With the help of the permafrost, the narrow-leafed campion plant tissue was preserved well enough for the team at the Russian Academy of Sciences to culture the cells to see if they would grow. The team, led by team leader Svetlana Yashina, were successful and re-created Siberian conditions in the lab and watched as the refrigerated tissue sprouted buds that developed into 36 flowering plants within weeks.

Now, if scientists could culture the cells that developed into flowering plants after 32,000 years, would it be possible to resurrect well preserved dinosaur fossils found in Siberia? Now that would be mind blowing. Would there finally be a Jurassic park after all, in the not too distant future?

Cracked.com

americanlivewire.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
well in a word, i'd have to say no.

no really, no.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
must be waking up, along with humanity.....2012!!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It makes you wonder what it was like back then. Cool story OP.

Although, I don't believe we'll be seeing a Jurassic Park anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
it doesn't seem that long ago I was reading the thread about the seeds discovery. I was kinda suspicious about this discovery (still am a little on the age) but its good to see a follow up story. If legit then this is great news

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Wow, this is incredible! Does this specie still exist in the wild or was it thought to be extinct/non-existent in nature?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I guess the no's have it.

seeds take water and sun.
Jurassic Park takes, a film crew

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The problem with the article is that it calls the burrows fossilized. I'll suggest it wasn't the scientists involved that used that term, as that would mean no viable seeds. Fossils are not the original object. They are a mineral replacement that fills in the structures which deteriorate over time.

The burrow could not have been fossilized if it produced live matter. In much the same way that these processes could not be applied to fossilized dinosaur tissues.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
www.popsci.com... r-old-beast

Not at all sure how to do the techy-link-thing, but hopefully this will take you to a very interesting story...I reckon this flower was precursor to mammoth ressurection

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
www.popsci.com... -old-beast" target="_blank" class="postlink">Mammoth ressurection

Maybe this one works. It's about how the Russians and Koreans will inject mammoth dna into female indian elephant

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
Now, if scientists could culture the cells that developed into flowering plants after 32,000 years, would it be possible to resurrect well preserved dinosaur fossils found in Siberia? Now that would be mind blowing. Would there finally be a Jurassic park after all, in the not too distant future?

Wow! That blooming flower was amazing! But where resurrection of dino egg fossils are concerned, that is science fiction as of now. This isn’t just a question of improving our current cloning methods. We lack the fundamental materials to clone anything from 65 million years ago.

The estimated life of a strand of DNA is no more than 1 million years, and even then only if it is in very cold conditions. And it’s not a question of technology, or of funding. We’re never going to return dinosaurs or any other ancient creature to Earth because their genes are long gone.

Damn!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm not a smart man so I'll just throw this question out there, what if they found dinosaur DNA encased in sap would they be able to extract that? I seem to recall them finding Mosquitos or something along those lines in sap and seemed to preserve it pretty well, not sure of age of it tho.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'd say they could reproduce a wooly mammoth or a mastodon one day.........they're not too long gone.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
very cool. i'm all for resurrecting ancient plants but i think we can do without the jurassic park scenario. i wouldn't put it past some nutty scientists to try it though.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

I don't know. There have been dinosaur fossils found with red blood cells in it. Such as the t-rex. The bone was even kind of soft. Anyone can look it up. Proving the fossils are not millions of years old!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIRTYDONKEY
I'm not a smart man so I'll just throw this question out there, what if they found dinosaur DNA encased in sap would they be able to extract that? I seem to recall them finding Mosquitos or something along those lines in sap and seemed to preserve it pretty well, not sure of age of it tho.

I read an article that said they already have the DNA and that YES they can bring back a dinosour but they have not decided they should do it.

here is one that says they already did
weeklyworldnews.com...

and mammoth coming
www.popsci.com...[e ditby]edit on 27-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: add

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I remember this discovery and after that they found large bones in drawers in museums all over had intact tissue. The article I read about it said this gives them the ability to clone animals.

Two years ago, Schweitzer gazed through a microscope in her laboratory at North Carolina State University and saw lifelike tissue that had no business inhabiting a fossilized dinosaur skeleton: fibrous matrix, stretchy like a wet scab on human skin; what appeared to be supple bone cells, their three-dimensional shapes intact; and translucent blood vessels that looked as if they could have come straight from an ostrich at the zoo.

discovermagazine.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by DIRTYDONKEY

I read an article that said they already have the DNA and that YES they can bring back a dinosour but they have not decided they should do it.

here is one that says they already did
weeklyworldnews.com...

and mammoth coming
www.popsci.com...[e ditby]edit on 27-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: add

Wow is this real?? If so, this is incredible. I cant believe I havent heard of them doing this before. I wonder what it looks like!

Edit: Nevermind, just looked more into the website. Links on the right hand side for stories titled "Kim Kardashians butt explodes" and "Obama on new dollar bill" Is a pretty good indicator of how legetimate this source is LOL
edit on 27-8-2012 by Heisenburg because: no reason

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Great article here.
Can you imagine crab and lobster eaters seeing cloned prehistoric ones!

atropos.as.arizona.edu...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So thats where all the damn Bees went!!!
LOL

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join